Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Ethanol Free gas and the EcoBoost

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 01:04 PM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
Originally Posted by schrod
Don't get me wrong. I am a farmer and I raise corn. I have always supported ethanol. However I have found when traveling down south pulling my 34 ft travel trailer that I gained 2 mpg burning 87 octane non-ethanol over the E-10 89 octane. Now 2 mpg may not look like much but when it jumps you from 7.3 to 9.3 that is a whopping 27 % increase. Well worth the extra 10 cents per gallon. I think there should be a larger differential than 10 cents per gallon between E-10 and regular non-E 87 octane gas. At 10 cents per gallon you are losing not gaining. My personal opinion of course.
this jives with what i have found as well.

funny thing is it always seems like 2 or 3 numbers. it has been a very long time since i've tried non ethanol, but when i did i was 2 or 3 mpg more in my car as well. which worked out to be 10%.

never could explain it, but i agree, even i would have a hard time using ethanol if i could go from 7 to 9.

Maybe i'll try that with the old 460, or the v10 if i can get my wife to try it (very price driven, rather than cost per mile driven)

Old 01-14-2012, 02:03 PM
2011FX2Crazy
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm down to between 1/2 and 1/4 tank of my forth and last tank of Pure gas before going another direction.

My results (averaged over all 4 tanks) are as follows:

26.9 average mpg's with mixed driving. When I say mixed it means 70% highway at 62-65 mph with 30% city with varying speeds under 50 and lots of red lights.

No load with the exception of 300 to 500 lbs of tools in my tool box.

I traveled 2320 miles and used 86.56 gallons which = 26.802 mpg's

It cost me a little over $300 in fuel for the month due to all the holiday traveling.... On average I usually spend about $150 a month.

I'm gonna stop keeping close tabs on the numbers now and look at the overall picture.

CleanMPG took a stock EcoBoost F-150 were able to obtain as high as 32mpg's on a 2500 mile trip east to GA and then back to California. They even averaged a documented 26 mpg's towing a Fiesta from Georgia to Detroit. It was an interesting read. Here's some links for your reading pleasure.

Ford Trucks – Fuel Economy Leadership from Engines to Alignment - CleanMPG Forums

2011 Ford F150 EcoBoost Fuel Economy Adventure Challenge - CleanMPG Forums

I like to read articles like this and learn how they did it...

Old 01-14-2012, 02:20 PM
schrod
Tuned
Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
Crazy, I am thrilled that you get such great mileage. I can't. Yours is 4X2 and mine is 4X4. But the 4X4 is suppose to be able to get 21. I can't even get close. And I drive slower overall than you state you do!!

Way to go!! Glad at least one person can get the good mileage.

Old 01-14-2012, 05:28 PM
2011FX2Crazy
Senior User
Crazy, I am thrilled that you get such great mileage. I can't. Yours is 4X2 and mine is 4X4. But the 4X4 is suppose to be able to get 21. I can't even get close. And I drive slower overall than you state you do!!

Way to go!! Glad at least one person can get the good mileage.
Thanks for the compliments,

There are a ton of factors involved in achieving great numbers and you have to be 100% conscience of all of them to make it work.

CleanMPG did much better then I am doing so by no means am I a pro at this but I can offer some important suggestions that allowed me to reach these numbers.

First and foremost the terrain where you live will make a huge difference.
If you live in a mountainous area it's going to make it harder. I live in "flat land" Florida.

An important tool is Cruise Control.... You have to get in a habit of using cruise every opportunity you get. And there is a trick to using it as well...
If you have to stop, when you begin traveling again don't hit resume as soon as you get moving again. Fords Cruise software is designed to get you back up to the set speed as quickly as possible. This means it really lays into the throttle to get you there... That wastes fuel as it is the equivalent to a jack rabbit start.
I always use my foot and slowly get back up to the set speed and then hit resume. This method has less of a negative impact on your average when you have to stop.

I found the best mileage was obtained between 45 and 50 where I was able to get it up to 30 mpg's on a trip across Florida to Daytona beach but you cant run those speeds too long on the highway without getting run over so I opted to focus on the 55 to 65 range... I didn't get anywhere near the 33 CleanMPG got but 26 is good to me and over the EPA's estimate while I was still driving at safe speed.

Use Cruise religiously, take off from stops slowly, keep the windows up and don't haul around anything that you don't need... Extra weight can really impact mileage.

It can be annoying to drive so "Softly" to get great mileage if your used to being a lead foot which I am but after you do it for a couple weeks you get used to it and then you don't even realize it becomes second nature.

Sorry, I got long winded again.

Old 01-14-2012, 05:47 PM
schrod
Tuned
Crazy, everything you said is what I always have done. With my 5.4 flex 2010 I could drive 65 and get 21. Of course I had it chipped!!!! But the point is I have always driven conservatively. I cut off the cruise a good quarter mile before a stop sign and coast in. I take off slowly. I almost always use the cruise. I don't think it is the way I drive. Thanks for trying!!

Old 01-14-2012, 06:11 PM
kmonty2
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Come on guys, be happy with anything over 20. Your driving large truck that whiegh a lot, up around 5500 to 6000 pounds, with arodynamics of a brick wall. I'm sure u didn't buy the truck for fuel economy. I have to be soft on the gas just to get 11 MPG in the city and 15 on the highway, but boy does it have the power and would never trade it for a smaller truck. I know you got the Ecoboost for the better mpg's but u can't expect record numbers all the time. But illy roads will bring down mileage in hurry and flat land helps just as much.

This is a good thread with the difference of pure gas and E10 gas. I'm not sure but are the Ecoboost truck able to run E85 gas?

Old 01-14-2012, 06:30 PM
schrod
Tuned
Originally Posted by kmonty2
Come on guys, be happy with anything over 20. Your driving large truck that whiegh a lot, up around 5500 to 6000 pounds, with arodynamics of a brick wall. I'm sure u didn't buy the truck for fuel economy. I have to be soft on the gas just to get 11 MPG in the city and 15 on the highway, but boy does it have the power and would never trade it for a smaller truck. I know you got the Ecoboost for the better mpg's but u can't expect record numbers all the time. But illy roads will bring down mileage in hurry and flat land helps just as much.

This is a good thread with the difference of pure gas and E10 gas. I'm not sure but are the Ecoboost truck able to run E85 gas?
Are you serious? Are you driving an Ecoboost? Have you read ALL the posts on this thread? Are you living in the U.S.A.?? It is not nice to make comments about replies if you have not kept up by reading all the posts on a particular thread. It is like reading only the last chapter of a book and concluding it was no good. Pay attention---read the ENTIRE thread!!!

Old 01-14-2012, 06:35 PM
schrod
Tuned
Kmonty2---P.S.-----If you have an Ecoboost you should be aware that you can NOT burn E-85!!!!!

But maybe in your case you SHOULD!!!!!

Old 01-14-2012, 06:41 PM
2011FX2Crazy
Senior User
Crazy, everything you said is what I always have done. With my 5.4 flex 2010 I could drive 65 and get 21. Of course I had it chipped!!!! But the point is I have always driven conservatively. I cut off the cruise a good quarter mile before a stop sign and coast in. I take off slowly. I almost always use the cruise. I don't think it is the way I drive. Thanks for trying!!
I was just throwing ideas out, not pointing it at you directly.
One thing I left out, Next time you buy tires, look for tires with a fuel saving designation.... These new tire deisgn's and compounds are also increasing mileage... I think I read the Michelin's on mine are this type of energy saving tire..

I am very pleased with my Eco, even when I first got it and was getting 18 on the hwy. This started as an experiment to see if I could achieve higher numbers, that's all.

I have modded every truck in the past as soon as I got it and that was my excitement, keep doing mods, but this Eco is very limited in the mods category so I have focused my interest in maximizing mileage.

No the Eco cannot use E85. there is a big notice on my fuel ring that E85 is not acceptable.

Old 01-14-2012, 07:26 PM
schrod
Tuned
Originally Posted by 2011FX2Crazy
One thing I left out, Next time you buy tires, look for tires with a fuel saving designation.... These new tire deisgn's and compounds are also increasing mileage... I think I read the Michelin's on mine are this type of energy saving tire..

I was wanting to ask you and glad you brought it up. What brand and size are the tires on your truck. I have Pirelli's on 20 inch wheels. My 2010 had the same thing. TIA

Old 01-14-2012, 07:30 PM
2011FX2Crazy
Senior User
I was wanting to ask you and glad you brought it up. What brand and size are the tires on your truck. I have Pirelli's on 20 inch wheels. My 2010 had the same thing. TIA

I have the 18" Michelin's Those 20's are hurting mileage unless you have the 3.15 gear.

I saw a 4mpg increase in mileage when I took the 22's off my Ram and put oem 18's back on it right before I traded it.

Old 01-14-2012, 07:45 PM
kmonty2
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kmonty2---P.S.-----If you have an Ecoboost you should be aware that you can NOT burn E-85!!!!!

But maybe in your case you SHOULD!!!!!
You must not have seen the ? After my question. And I guess you F150 guys can't read signatures either. Just seemed like you guys are calling each others lies about the mileage they are getting.
I am intestand in the gas vs. E10 debate, but as it turns out there is no benefit to spending the extra money and going out of your way. The ethanol is better for the environment just not for mpg's. I'm glad there was finally someone that was able to do a real life test with his own truck and bias to either way. I don't see any one else in this thread with any hard numbers except for the OP. So anyone says he is wrong or lying should do some of there own research.

And to the OP, thanks for answering my question. Reps were sent for the tests you did.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:01 PM
2011FX2Crazy
Senior User
You must not have seen the ? After my question. And I guess you F150 guys can't read signatures either. Just seemed like you guys are calling each others lies about the mileage they are getting.
I am intestand in the gas vs. E10 debate, but as it turns out there is no benefit to spending the extra money and going out of your way. The ethanol is better for the environment just not for mpg's. I'm glad there was finally someone that was able to do a real life test with his own truck and bias to either way. I don't see any one else in this thread with any hard numbers except for the OP. So anyone says he is wrong or lying should do some of there own research.

And to the OP, thanks for answering my question. Reps were sent for the tests you did.
Thanks for the reps... I don't think anyone is calling me a liar but it is what it is. I've been very straight forward and honest with my numbers

I don't understand why some have to get ugly about something so irrelevant.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:11 PM
schrod
Tuned
Originally Posted by 2011FX2Crazy
I have the 18" Michelin's Those 20's are hurting mileage unless you have the 3.15 gear.

I saw a 4mpg increase in mileage when I took the 22's off my Ram and put oem 18's back on it right before I traded it.
These 20's are OE'S !!!

Old 01-14-2012, 08:20 PM
2011FX2Crazy
Senior User
These 20's are OE'S !!!
I understand that, I almost ordered mine with 20's but I knew if I did the 20's and the 3.55 mileage would suffer.

I am very familiar with the options available for these trucks.

Quick Reply: Ethanol Free gas and the EcoBoost