Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tci maximizer c6 help

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 06:45 PM
shouldgotchevy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tci maximizer c6 help

Hey guys, need help badly,
I have an 89 f150, 4.9 straight six, 4x4, the truck use to b a 5speed, and the clutch blew, had a new clutch,pressure plate,and fly wheel put in and the truck wouldn't have any acceleration, it would just redline n could not get above 45 n 5th gear, tried fixing it same prob. So I decided to put a auto trans in it, everything is new in truck, except the used aod trans that was in it, but with aod I had the same issue, no acceleration.
The aod didn't have 3rd gear and, so I tried a used c6 trans, had same problem, had no 3rd gear, and still had no acceleration, So I decided to get a brand new TCI maximizer c6 for it, the truck ruNs beautifull, and has all 3 gears, but shifts very fast,even just rolling in the driveway it will shift to 2nd gear, I took it around the block and it won't accelerate even n 3rd gear, will not get above 35mph n 3rd.
Transfercase doesn't seem to b stuck in low gear or anything, aNd not sure if it matters but I didn't install a kickdown cable yet, to be honest I don't think it will fix my problem, sorry for the long story, just need some help guys thanx

Old 01-08-2012, 07:09 PM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
Received 373 Likes on 283 Posts
Can you manually drop it down into 2 or 1? Does the TCI has a stall?

Old 01-08-2012, 07:18 PM
shouldgotchevy
New User
Haven't tried that yet, there's no stall, has a stock converter. When n drive it will have power then the power will vanish and it will just rev up with no acceleration and if I step on it it will scream and still no power, I checked the case gear indiactor switch n everything seems to b working, that I can see, fluid n the case is clean, goes in and out of gear fine.

Old 01-08-2012, 07:32 PM
danr1
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
When you say won't accelerate even n 3rd gear, will not get above 35mph n 3rd does it red line or?

If it does red line and included with truck use to b a 5speed, and the clutch blew, had a new clutch,pressure plate,and fly wheel put in and the truck wouldn't have any acceleration, it would just redline n could not get above 45 n 5th gear, tried fixing it same prob. So I decided to put a auto trans in it, everything is new in truck, except the used aod trans that was in it, but with aod I had the same issue, no acceleration.

Red line again?

If red lines the motor and with all those trans installed it sounds like you got something going on there that isn't the transmission at fault.

Perhaps striped pinion yoke or?

Does it act same way if in 4 wheel drive? when putting power to both axles?

"Park" hold it on a hill for example?

If you haven't tried it yet put it in 4 wheel see if it will run out like it should.

For testing purposes if necessary you can do it on pavement, just don't turn corners doing so. Test it running a straight line.

Old 01-08-2012, 07:35 PM
Terpfords
Senior User
is the converter clogged?

Old 01-08-2012, 07:59 PM
shouldgotchevy
New User
Pretty sure conveter isn't clogged, 2nd one I put in, fluid looked clean when drained, has new fluid in it,
Danr1, it does redline, ill put it in drive ill hit about 10mph and it'll shift to 2nd,and about 15-20mph and it will shift to 3rd. Won't down shift when I take a turn "turn on a side st" tried to shift the tcase into 4wheel, even tho I need front driveshaft shortend. Manual trans is longer than the auto, but did redline and did do the same thing, tci said to clean the govenora but not sure if I want to go that way yet.
My transline r routed correct, my lockers work,seem fine, the case seems fine when in gear. All indicator lights come on . not to sure why I can't pick up speed. Really stumped guys

Old 01-08-2012, 08:14 PM
danr1
Lead Driver
No seriously doubt it red line if the converter was clogged, maybe for a hot second then bog right down.

tci said to clean the govenora but not sure if I want to go that way yet

Not sure I follow ya there? You mean the "high speed governor"? if its a new trans from them why would it need cleaned to start with?

Won't down shift when I take a turn "turn on a side st"

When let off the gas to slow to a stop, do you get/feel any engine braking from it?

tried to shift the tcase into 4wheel, even tho I need front driveshaft shortend

Are you sure its in 4 wheel? do you know for fact the hubs are both locking? can't turn the front drive shaft by hand when in 4wheel?

If it "red lines" as in motor over rev's at that low of speeds and with that many transmissions that sure suggests something is slipping and its not the trans/engine at fault.
No way you got that many trans configurations causing the same issue/symptoms, the transmissions being the cause.
The manual would have had to be the clutch, you stated it was all new including the flywheel. If the correct parts and installed correctly? no way that slipped. When you said had a new clutch,pressure plate,and fly wheel put in and the truck wouldn't have any acceleration, it would just redline n could not get above 45 n 5th gear, tried fixing it same prob.

"tried fixing it" what exactly does that mean? replaced pressure plate and or clutch plate under "warranty" thinking it was bad and was "new" or?

Old 01-08-2012, 08:25 PM
shouldgotchevy
New User
Couldn't really feel any engine braking, I'm at the same idea about it not being the engine or the trans at fault,
When I shift the case into 4wheel, the drive shaft locks up, when the tcase is in neutral, it spins free,
And before swapping to the auto trans, we had the clutch, flywheel, pressuer plate installed, had the same issue, so I took it out and checked everything, lined the clutch and everything up, had the same problem, n that's when I swapped to automatic, my hubs seem to lock up fine and when switched back there free. I'm really at a loss for words at this point, but do u think it could be a kickdown cable, I do not have one installed. But I wouldn't that would be my issue

Old 01-08-2012, 08:27 PM
shouldgotchevy
New User
And yeah its a brand new maximizer c6, and I don't get y the govenor would Need to be cleaned at all.

Old 01-08-2012, 08:40 PM
danr1
Lead Driver
Make sure the kick down arm is all the way back down on the trans itself. Tie it off so it can't move forward until you get the rod installed.

However I doubt that is the problem, been a long time since messed with the C6 but seams that arm is spring loaded, pulls itself back link arm and all. Maybe I don't remember right?

You can verify both hubs lock by attempting turn the axle right behind the knuckle, check both sides then engage 4by in the cab.

Its important to know its actually in 4 wheel or the test is useless, and its an important test. See if the same thing happens putting power to both axles.

If not it'll show you its in the rear drive line at some point.

Start of your first post you said I have an 89 f150, 4.9 straight six, 4x4, the truck use to b a 5speed, and the clutch blew Is this the same symptom that caused you to pull the trans to start with? Thought the clutch slipped with that 5 speed it originally had in it? What did that clutch look like, looked like it was slipping flywheel and pressure plate blued and covered with hair line cracks?

Clutch disk itself real thin or down to metal? Tell us what it look like overall.

Old 01-08-2012, 08:42 PM
danr1
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by shouldgotchevy
And yeah its a brand new maximizer c6, and I don't get y the govenor would Need to be cleaned at all.
No wouldn't/doesn't exactly instill confidence in a guy as to the quality does it?

Old 01-08-2012, 08:59 PM
shouldgotchevy
New User
Lol yeah that's what I say about tci, new trans and I need to check the govenor!
Yeah that's y I pulled the trans to start with, the clutch had cracks all over, look like something blew a couple fingers apart. It was pretty bad, its been awhile since I pulled it.
When I had the truck on jackstand, with the hubs locks, both tires sis spin, ill double check again to b precise.
And what do u mean by puting the kickdown lever to the trans, do u mean pull it back and tie it off so it doesn't spring back?

Old 01-08-2012, 09:05 PM
danr1
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by shouldgotchevy
Lol yeah that's what I say about tci, new trans and I need to check the govenor!
Yeah that's y I pulled the trans to start with, the clutch had cracks all over, look like something blew a couple fingers apart. It was pretty bad, its been awhile since I pulled it.
When I had the truck on jackstand, with the hubs locks, both tires sis spin, ill double check again to b precise.
And what do u mean by puting the kickdown lever to the trans, do u mean pull it back and tie it off so it doesn't spring back?

Sorry I had that backwards didn't I, need make sure its all the way forward, "flooring it" pushes rod back for passing gear!

Tie it off so its stays in place.

You're getting third by the sounds of it though.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:10 PM
shouldgotchevy
New User
Ok deff will try it out, ill post the results in this thread. Deff appreciate the help.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:00 PM
mpc07005
Senior User
Sounds like the rest of the crank isn't connected to the end/flex plate. C6 was vac controlled, manual was driver controlled, and AOD is cable (?). Same issue repeating like this makes me look away from the tranny and its controls. You have trouble shot the rest of the driveline already and say it's fine. That leaves the engine. Try that next. Also, post all the specs including any mods in one place. I saw lockers somewhere, and am wondering if there's anything we should know about, (like an 8" lift and 400hp dyno number on the stock crank or something).

-Mike

Quick Reply: tci maximizer c6 help