General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Bleeping tablets

Old 06-25-2014, 11:04 PM
ford2go
Cargo Master
Received 142 Likes on 87 Posts
Bleeping tablets

I've got a Nexus 7, and it's nice for a few things, but some things drive me really nuts.

One is the email app -- I think that this is probably generic to android units. No idea about apple.

Anyway, I went through a whole deal that I found on the web, and got it to run Outlook. Didn't really like the way it ran it, but it got the job done.

Then today, I cleared all of the cache data -- I had a reason at the time .
When I went back in -- no outlook.

This time I just set it up from the app itself, and it seemed to work fine. However, now it just keeps telling me that it's syncing. The only thing I didn't do was get an external certificate. (No idea what those are).

Then I found that I could just launch the web stiff from Firefox, which works the way I want it to anyway.

Just ranting, the web stuff works, so I'm happy enough. Although if anybody is pretty sure what the deal is, I'll try it.

I do find it useful for some things, but the way you do things often seems awkward. Probably it's just me.

hj

Old 06-26-2014, 10:04 AM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just plain do not like tablets. I don't like the feel of them and the way they operate. I know they're supposed to kinda/sorta be a link between the smart phone and your PC or laptop at home.......but Hell. The smaller laptops (13") are about as easy to carry around as a tablet and a lot more functional........with an integrated keyboard (important to typists). I know, I know.....you can get accessories like the 'flex' keyboard for your tablet.....but now you're adding size and basically changing the tablet itself.

So just get a small, handy laptop.....

And of course nowadays you can dang near do everything you need off of your smart phone. I'm looking at upgrading to the Lumia 1520........About as big as I want to go.....and it has to be small enough to fit in my uniform pocket. The camera those little puppies have can pretty much replace your digital camera..........unless you're a professional photographer, of course.

Go Nokia/Windows!

Old 06-30-2014, 02:01 AM
mpwbw
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry for your luck, but I have a Nexus, and it takes getting used to. I had to set-up a free email account with Google, and I don't like the way email generically looks also. But, I'm not a fan of Outlook, and I have a ATT account I frequently use for email that I'll be possibly canceling soon. Anyway, glad to know that FireFox works well. Thanks, and good luck!

Old 07-01-2014, 04:28 PM
Christof13T
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
My transformer prime is android and has completely replaced my laptop, desktop, scientific calculator, feed/speed tables, and i could even control my mill with it with an rs232 adapter on the machine. Always preferred open source/ linux based platforms tho so i guess it just feels natural.

Plus its handy having ALL my pdf files with me pretty much at all times.
Powerstroke stuff
Macine/programming stuff
Reloading tables...

After having it for 2+ years... i dunno how i would cope without it.

Get with the times you old fogeys!

(Im reminded of an old Bradbury book, "The Martian Chronicles" in which "books" were long forgotten in lieu of "talking tablets" that would read the books contents aloud for you. This was a concept, at the time... that seemed so far out of reality, the book was classified as science fiction. Today... it is science fact. End anecdotal mind wander.)

Last edited by Christof13T; 07-01-2014 at 04:29 PM. Reason: close parentheses
Old 07-02-2014, 09:05 AM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Christof13T

Get with the times you old fogeys!
I didn't understand most of the first part of your post, but this one hit home......

Old 07-03-2014, 05:57 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,386 Likes on 1,097 Posts
Originally Posted by cmpd1781
I didn't understand most of the first part of your post, but this one hit home......
OMG you kids and your frickin' gadgets!

There will come a time in your lives when all the latest, greatest and soon-to-obsolete-everything piece of nonsense that comes along bores you too. Just because it's new doesn't make it better.

But then again there's nothing quite like the repetitious, foolhardy, forge ahead at all costs without looking mindset of youth to give those of us, the been there, done that group a good laugh.

Just Tuesday in fact a good friend suddenly lost all his contact info stored in nothing more than his cell phone. Not sure how much time he spent trying to reconstruct that list, do know he called me 4 times for numbers we both use for our work.

As an old fogey I snicker quite divisively at young 'un's who too quickly believe and claim all their new BS is so great--not because I dismiss or dislike their enthusiasm but because once upon a time I too made similar claims. There's not more humbling than experience to quash the arrogance of youth, that which is prevalent in most of them of tender years.

BTW most of us get along just great in our own worlds, as we suspect you do too.

Old 07-03-2014, 06:39 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
F2G,
If you wanted to run Outlook why didn't you get a Windows tablet???

I'm looking to get a 10"(ish) tablet to replace this tired netbook.
Intrigued by the S-pen of the Sammy Note, might consider the TabS and think the TabPro series is a little too much for me.

Why Samsung?
Because I already have a Galaxy phone, and am familiar with tweaking their UI, rooting, like having a microSD card and Android OS Apps available.
I would not want the cross platform issues of an iPad, although they do seem to be good hardware.

I understand the "Old Fogey" part of it.
I started with DOS and AmigaOS.
Times have changed!