Utah Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: Nichalicious

Any info on vintage registration?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 09:36 PM
AirSmitty
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any info on vintage registration?

Hello Utah Folk! I'll be moving up to Provo from California in a few months for school and I'm planning on taking my old ford with me. I have a Jeep Cherokee that I DD, so I was thinking about getting vintage tags for my 78 f250. From what I understand, you are only supposed drive stuff with vintage tags to shows and club events and for "occasional transportation." The most I would drive it would be once a week, but I will probably drive it even less. They have no definition for "occasional," so I was wondering if anyone on here has vintage tags, how often they drive it and if they ever get hassle from the police?

Thanks!

Old 01-11-2012, 03:46 PM
Raleigh1
Elder User
I have a friend that has them on his Jeep, he drives it occasionally to the trail and what not. Generally I don't think they bother you much at all.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:50 PM
carbs & chrome
Senior User
Do you mean "Vintage/Antique" plates or YOM (Year of Make) 1978 Utah license plates? I have had both on my '54 and never had a problem. I also have buddies who drive on "Vintage/Antique" plates almost daily and have never been bothered. Here are the regulations:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you are talking about "Vintage" tagged plates Utah:

This plate identifies a vehicle at least 30 years old, is primarily a collector's item, and used for participation in club activities, exhibitions, tours, parades, occasional transportation and similar uses, but is not used for general daily transportation. This plate may be personalized with up to 5 alphanumeric characters by submitting Form TC-817 with the required personalization fee.

Requirements

$10 Special Plate Fee
No Annual Contribution
Identifiable into one of two categories:

30 year vintage vehicles: 30-39 years old
40 year vintage vehicles: 40 years and older

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you are talking about YOM (Year of Make) Utah plates:

VEHICLE QUALIFYING AGE: 1973 or older
VEHICLE TYPES QUALIFYING FOR YOM:
MUST TYPES MATCH:
SINGLE/PAIR REQUIRED:
REPAINTED PLATES ALLOWED: Yes
MUST NUMBER CLEAR: Yes (See Notes)
NOTES: Utah refers to their YOM Registration program as Antique (Original Issue) License Plates.

Vehicles of a model year 1973 or older may display original-issue license plates issued during the same year the vehicle was manufactured.

If the antique plate number is not currently assigned to another vehicle on the Motor Vehicle file and does not conflict with a currently issued series, the antique plate may be used in substitution for a regularly issued plate. An owner who sells a vehicle with original issue plates assigned to it may also sell the plate by completing an affidavit relinquishing the plates.

Original Issue Application
Original-issue plate applicants need not complete a special application form; instead, they must bring the plates to a Motor Vehicle Office for verification. DMV staff will check the plates carefully to be sure that they are authentic and do not conflict with an existing series. There is no fee for placing an original issue plate on a vehicle.

Displaying Rejected Antique Plates
If the original issue plate cannot be used for registration purposes because the plate number conflicts with a currently-issued plate series, the owner may apply for special antique plate decals. To do so he/she must:
Submit the antique (original issue) plate to a Motor Vehicle Office for verification
Submit a current registration card
Pay a $5.00 fee. Antique decals expire every December—the yearly renewal fee is $5.00.

Note: Antique plates may be restored and repainted to the original issue paint, for limited use such as shows, parades, special events, etc.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:53 PM
AirSmitty
Senior User
I'm talking about the actual vintage registration. I have read all of those regulations before, I just wanted to hear some real-world experience. I understand that Utah cops can be kinda strict on things like mud flaps and fender flares, so I am not sure how crazy they are about checking up on vintage registration.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:27 PM
Raleigh1
Elder User
They are quite strict on equipment, but other than mileage there really is now way to prove or disprove how much a vehicle is driven. I don't think you will have anything to worry about.
Occasionally use to mean less than 5000 miles per year, but I haven't read anything about mileage restrictions recently.