Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this too many gauges?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 01:47 PM
ScottyDsntKnow
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go mechanical if you can. Nothing like 100% accurate info at all times even when the vehicle is completely off.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:00 PM
rikosintie
Senior User
I have the Mag-Hytec diff cover and it comes drilled and tapped for a temp sensor.
Michael

Old 01-08-2012, 12:25 AM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Does Clays new Diff cover come drilled and tapped for a temp sensor?

Old 01-08-2012, 12:51 AM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
What temp ranges would you expect from a Diff? I need to know this before I buy a gauge and diff cover, lol.

Old 01-08-2012, 03:23 AM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Rosson03
Driver side pillar 4 pods, 3 gauge under dash mount, 3 gauge overhead mount

thats what 10 lol

i thought about it at tax time!

then on the passenger side i will get a clip to hold my corrections maglight and or fire extinguisher

naw no such thing as to many gauges!

Attached Images  
Old 01-08-2012, 04:35 AM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by b-uno
Funny, but WAAAY too much Photoshop time on your hands!

Old 01-08-2012, 04:36 AM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by b-uno
Wait, can you Photoshop me a nice 7.3 in place of my 6.8?

Old 01-08-2012, 08:02 AM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
With my 1 nicely and neatly mounted ODBII Aeroforce Tech Gauge on my V10...I get more information at my fingertips than I can display...although it only displays 2 parameters at a time...I can easily scroll thru all the parameters in less than a few seconds if needed.

Differential temps could be fed into one of the 2 analog inputs provided if desired...as could a pyro sensor...

If you take notice on my dash gauges...you will see little white marks...those are made by me with a simple grease pencil...that is the mark that the gauge "normally" sits at when towing/driving...so at a quick glance at my gauge cluster...I can see if the gauges are in their "normal" position because they should be just behind that little white grease mark...

For those that don't think the trans temp factory gauge actually moves...it will...but not until after 220°'s (see this picture that portrays movement...it was posted years ago by someone that experimented with the temp sensor)

My crude and rudimentary grease pencil mark is a very simplistic way to make sure the gauge has not moved even a little bit...because (without the mark) if the gauge were to move slightly...you may not notice it...and with how "narrow" a range Ford put in on that gauge...small movements once you hit 220° would need to be noticed...

Take notice that my white mark on the upper right gauge (trans on my cluster) coincides with the 100-220° photo needle position...

Joe.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:48 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
I have no gauges. In my race car I have 1 gauge, a tach.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:05 AM
LWW
Elder User
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
I have no gauges. In my race car I have 1 gauge, a tach.
My race car has a tach, water temp, oil pressure, oil temp and fuel level. But fuel is not important if you're not running endurance races.

The much more varied demands of a hauling/tow vehicle necessitate more instrumentation.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:40 AM
Junx69
Junior User
I'm leaning towards an Edge Insight in a dash pod. Anyone got pics of one painted and installed? I was thinking of going with the CTS because of the big screen being able to show more at once but I don't like the way it uses an adapter to clip in tot he dash pod so I might just go with the CS that will fit flush in the pod and just scroll through gauges if I need to.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:15 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by robert_l_ross
Funny, but WAAAY too much Photoshop time on your hands!
That pic has been around for years brother.

Stewart

Old 01-08-2012, 01:32 PM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Junx69
I'm leaning towards an Edge Insight in a dash pod. Anyone got pics of one painted and installed? I was thinking of going with the CTS because of the big screen being able to show more at once but I don't like the way it uses an adapter to clip in tot he dash pod so I might just go with the CS that will fit flush in the pod and just scroll through gauges if I need to.
I've got an SCT-X3...had I done more research and had more advance planning...since I wanted a tuner for towing...in hindsight...I likely would have gone with an SCT Livewire...which gives you a tuner AND an OBDII scan gauge that monitors and displays vehicle functions as you drive...you would need to keep the tuner plugged into the OBDII port all the time...but I keep my Aeroforce plugged in now...

Just another possible option of a tuner AND scan gauge option out there...plus the tunes from Mike at 5-star are excellent for V10 applications...which I'm not sure what engine you have in your ride...

Joe.

Old 01-08-2012, 04:01 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by X_Hemi_Guy
I've got an SCT-X3...had I done more research and had more advance planning...since I wanted a tuner for towing...in hindsight...I likely would have gone with an SCT Livewire...which gives you a tuner AND an OBDII scan gauge that monitors and displays vehicle functions as you drive...you would need to keep the tuner plugged into the OBDII port all the time...but I keep my Aeroforce plugged in now...

Just another possible option of a tuner AND scan gauge option out there...plus the tunes from Mike at 5-star are excellent for V10 applications...which I'm not sure what engine you have in your ride...

Joe.
I remember seeing ODB 'splitter' cables to let you plug in two items into the ODB port...anyone try those for tuners/gauges/scangauge units?

Old 01-08-2012, 05:14 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by robert_l_ross
I remember seeing ODB 'splitter' cables to let you plug in two items into the ODB port...anyone try those for tuners/gauges/scangauge units?
What happens is a slow data refresh rate and some readings dont come out properly.

Quick Reply: Is this too many gauges?