Sponsored by: DP Tuner

New Year project--Headache Rack (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 07:42 AM
honeydew
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shake-N-Bake
Thanks Travis, we think it helps it look not so much like a commercial vehicle. Plus it's nice to have some lights up high. I haven't decided how to operate the clear lights yet....should I wire them up so they come on when in reverse gear or should I put them on a switch in the cab? I am looking for suggestions.
My suggestion is to put some super bright LEDs in the housings and wire them to a switch. That way you can leave them off to avoid reflection off of certain trailers and also use them for rear facing illumination while doing stuff back there.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:10 AM
izzybird
Elder User

Travis took the words right out of my mouth... or right off my keyboard. I have mine on a switch and like the setup.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:11 AM
izzybird
Elder User

Forgot to mention... that is a good lookin' truck Greg, the headache rack really adds to it.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:51 AM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by A/Ox4
Truck. Is. Beautiful.

That is all.
Thank you.

Originally Posted by robbragiel
Very nice truck. I'm envy the shop you have. That is something I can only dream about.
Thanks. The shop was great, but short lived. We finished our year end inventory and started filling it back up today. 3 truckloads of stuff so far. By the end of the week we'll have just the space between the yellow lines for the forklift. Oh well, it was great while it lasted.

Originally Posted by Nsaan
looks really nice Greg, If that is the truck I saw on CL you did well, now that I see what your shop at work looks like and that you have a paint booth large enough for a real truck... and that you seem to know what your doing with a paint gun, we can do my truck next I was telling some one about your bucket truck you had for a bit and he was wanted me to show it to him, but I checked and it was all ready gone. I guess I am going to have to work harder to keep up with you. Nice truck, once you get your hitch in it and an air compressor, that ought to tow nicely. I am going to have to stop by and drool on that new paint for you.
Thanks Donn. The bucket truck was a regular cab, which I was all set to run with. I even picked up a hauler bed that needed some repair work and a new coat of paint. I literally was getting ready to pick up some diamond plate steel sheets and begin working on the hauler bed when my phone started ringing off the hook with prospective buyers for the bucket truck. I guess raising the price worked out. I sold the bucket truck in the morning and bought the crew cab in the afternoon. I couldn't have planned it any better if I tried.

So now I have a hauler bed that I'll need to get rid of. I wonder if I should just try and sell it as is or fix it up first? I am kinda on project overload at the moment so I might just try and offload it to break even. My next task is to install the air ride fifth wheel hitch. It's super heavy so I'll need the forklift again. You are welcome to come over and help. I'll spring for the pizza and refreshments.

The F450 barely fit in the booth. I had the front bumper actually touching the doors and the sprayer wouldn't work. Turns out that the doors have these little microswitches that cut off air pressure when the doors are open (must be a safety thing...). So, I had to back up about 1/2" so the doors would close properly and the sprayer would work. It's a good thing I only had to paint the back part of the truck. It was just one of those weekends where everything fell into place. (I wish that would happen more often...). Throwing down paint is the easy part. The prep is the killer. It took us a day and a half to strip the hardware and clean the tool boxes and mask everything for paint. Only took about 3 hours to lay down paint once I got the truck into the booth.

My wife helped out a bunch, she was here pretty much the entire time. My daughter came down to the shop on Sunday to help us unmask everything. She said it was like Christmas all over again...

Originally Posted by honeydew
My suggestion is to put some super bright LEDs in the housings and wire them to a switch. That way you can leave them off to avoid reflection off of certain trailers and also use them for rear facing illumination while doing stuff back there.
Originally Posted by izzybird
Travis took the words right out of my mouth... or right off my keyboard. I have mine on a switch and like the setup.
I think you guys are right. I'll wire up a switch in the cab. I priced out the super bright LEDs and they were about $50 EACH ... so I passed. The incandescent lamps are much brighter than I expected. They only ran me about $6 apiece so that is much more in my budget. They were sealed lenses and came with a 3 wire plug just like the red lenses. They even had the same bulb inside (running/stop double filament type). So, I simply wired the red and black together and they were super bright and illuminated the bed pretty well.

Originally Posted by izzybird
Forgot to mention... that is a good lookin' truck Greg, the headache rack really adds to it.
Thanks.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:08 AM
roostercrows
Elder User
Very nice truck and very nice job!

Old 01-04-2012, 11:23 AM
RedBoat
Rather Be Floatin

Sweet!!! Beautiful rig and a fantastic set up.

Old 01-04-2012, 07:10 PM
izzybird
Elder User

Mine are the same sealed units you have I think. I was thinking about heating them up and trying to get them separated, maybe throw a set of these in them.
Pair 1156/1157 BA15 LED Bayonet Bulbs
The little Chinese fellla layin down the sealant on mine was serious about it, I don't know if they'll come apart or not.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:53 AM
MexicanScaper987
Postmaster
Very nice addition!