Sponsored by: Moser

Factory Power Folding Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 12:00 PM
ntsos
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Factory Power Folding Mirrors

Whilst I like my 2012 F150 eco-boost, the manual tow mirrors are a giant pain to manually fold every time I park the truck in tight places. I called CS and was told that if enough people requested a dealer installed power folding package, they might consider it......just a shot, but I would pay dearly for that option if it was made available.

Ford Customer Service - 1(800)392-3673 - keypad call option - 1-5-1-2-2

......also, this is the company that makes the F250 power folding tow mirrors for Ford and I also sent an email stating that if they would research Ford Truck forums they would immediately see a need for a factory correct aftermarket retrofit package for the F150.

SMR, one of the largest manufacturers of exterior rearview mirrors for passenger cars in the world.

info@smr-automotive.com

Probably wasting my time, but thats what I do now as a retired old fart!

John

Old 01-04-2012, 10:10 AM
Deluxe05
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I absolutely LOVE the power folding trailer tow mirrors on my F350. There are a dozen other options & niceties that I would give up before those mirrors. They get used in drive through's (ranging from fast food to Walgreens), drive-up ATMs, and tight parking lots.

Having said that, the power folding mirrors would have been an equally nice feature on my Lincoln Mark LT. There were definitely some times where I pulled up past a drive-up ATM, got out, and used the ATM because I could not edge quite close enough with the mirrors out.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:28 AM
j.grif
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
this option was/is not available or i would have ordered with my max tow fx4, I did not actually want the tt mirrors but wanted the max tow pkg, so I had to take them. I will be looking for a pair of power fold standard fx4 mirrors and put he flimsy trailer tow mirror heads on when I do tow as I like to be able to use the truck through drive through windows and banks, i agree that ford should have made power fold mirrors like the f250, I would have ordered them!

Old 01-04-2012, 02:22 PM
adamsre
Senior User

I have the power fold and want the tow mirrors but I also want them to be power fold. If that option was available I would have it. It is not high on my radar anymore though because I have been towing nearly every week since I bought the truck in June and I can see perfectly out of the power fold mirrors that came on the truck. I find it strange that I have the max tow but not the mirrors. I have every single option for the max tow but not the mirrors. I guess they get replaced with the PF mirrors with the FX4 luxury package?

Old 01-04-2012, 03:12 PM
SteveVFX4
Fleet Mechanic
^are you sure you have the max tow, maybe you just have the regular tow pkg? What does your window sticker say? Because according to the order guide, the max tow package always come with the large tow mirrors. There's even a note that says you get memory mirror feature for the tow mirrors when combined with FX luxury package.

anyways, I would guess that they would add the powerfold option to the tow mirrors for the next F150 model, 2014 or 2015? Owners have certainly been complaining about them not being powerfold for several years now.

Old 01-04-2012, 03:12 PM
flixden
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Deluxe05
There were definitely some times where I pulled up past a drive-up ATM, got out, and used the ATM because I could not edge quite close enough with the mirrors out.
Why not roll down the window, and fold the mirror by hand in case of an ATM?

Old 01-04-2012, 04:10 PM
adamsre
Senior User

Originally Posted by SteveVFX4
^are you sure you have the max tow, maybe you just have the regular tow pkg? What does your window sticker say? Because according to the order guide, the max tow package always come with the large tow mirrors. There's even a note that says you get memory mirror feature for the tow mirrors when combined with FX luxury package.

anyways, I would guess that they would add the powerfold option to the tow mirrors for the next F150 model, 2014 or 2015? Owners have certainly been complaining about them not being powerfold for several years now.
No, it's called the tow pkg on my sticker but I have the TBC, 11,500 hitch, coolers, 3.73 etc.. I have done extensive research and I can tow 11,300 or 11,200 (can't recall) and the only difference is the mirrors on my truck.

Old 01-04-2012, 04:30 PM
SteveVFX4
Fleet Mechanic
^yeah see, you have just tow pkg and optional TBC. The regular tow pkg does come with the same hitch, upgraded radiator and cooler. Max tow is the same but also adds the big tow mirrors, upgraded rear bumper, and TBC.

Old 01-04-2012, 05:36 PM
adamsre
Senior User

Originally Posted by SteveVFX4
^yeah see, you have just tow pkg and optional TBC. The regular tow pkg does come with the same hitch, upgraded radiator and cooler. Max tow is the same but also adds the big tow mirrors, upgraded rear bumper, and TBC.
No see, your missing the point. I have the bumper too, the only thing I don't have is the mirrors and that doesn't make my truck pull a trailer that is heavier. I may not have the "max" tow but I can tow the same weight. That is all I was trying to say. Because when I ordered my truck I specified that I wanted it to be able to tow 11k and so I researched it before buying because that would have been a deal breaker.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:28 PM
Ford8502
More Turbo
Received 263 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally Posted by adamsre
No see, your missing the point. I have the bumper too, the only thing I don't have is the mirrors and that doesn't make my truck pull a trailer that is heavier. I may not have the "max" tow but I can tow the same weight. That is all I was trying to say. Because when I ordered my truck I specified that I wanted it to be able to tow 11k and so I researched it before buying because that would have been a deal breaker.
What do your yellow and white stickers on your door pillar list? I think the Max Tow gives you 500lbs more capacity than the Tow package. The Heavy Payload package adds another 500 I think. You can't order a Max Tow without the tow mirrors. Either you have the Tow package, or a Max Tow that someone swapped out your mirrors.
It doesn't really matter I guess. As long as you can tow what you want.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:39 PM
flixden
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by adamsre
Only with the max tow package can you get the > 11K lbs towing capacity. It sounds like you have the regular tow package with a little bit under 10K lbs tow rating (best case). What rear end do you have or what's your VIN? What's your GVWR (sticker in the door)?

Old 01-04-2012, 07:49 PM
ntsos
New User
I appreciate all of your comments....in any case, can anyone offer a plausible explanation why Ford would not offer the power folding tow mirrors as an option on a F150?

I'm sure Ford wouldn't mind making the extra money.....maybe it's a policy that forces a an individual to purchase a F250 and above for that and other exclusive options.....I don't know, simply speculating!

Thanks all!

John

Old 01-04-2012, 08:16 PM
flixden
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ntsos
I appreciate all of your comments....in any case, can anyone offer a plausible explanation why Ford would not offer the power folding tow mirrors as an option on a F150?

I'm sure Ford wouldn't mind making the extra money.....maybe it's a policy that forces a an individual to purchase a F250 and above for that and other exclusive options.....I don't know, simply speculating!

Thanks all!

John
You are probably right. It's all about marketing.

Old 01-05-2012, 01:12 AM
j.grif
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ntsos

Thanks all!

John
I think that the problem is that max tow is such a low volume option that it didnt warrant engineering dollars for maybe 3 or 4 percent of sales over all in f150 production. If you look at the large dealers in metro det area, on a lot with 60 f150's 3 or 4 might have max tow pkg on them, I think if more demand for this option, ford would put engineering dollars into this problem. In regards too max tow wieght gvrw, a f150 without max tow is 7200# with max tow gvrw is 7700# gvrw, the other reason I ordered max tow option.