1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tranny issues all of a sudden

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 04:08 PM
kawkx500
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
tranny issues all of a sudden

2002 f350 7.3 ... problems started all of a sudden one day. I have an edge evolution tuner in my stroke. I have it set to make all of my shifts firm. One day it started shifting really sluggish between 1st and 2nd gears only. It dont do it all the time, but it does it more often then it doesnt. i have also noticed when i come to a complete stop and then start out again it seems that it doesnt downshift all the way back to first and when i hit the gas it seems to kinda be stuck between gears and it barely moves until i get the rpms up before it will ease its way into 2nd and the converter locks up. It shifts a through all the other gears just fine nice and firm like it should, its just the shift between 1st and 2nd. Im wondering if maybe it might be the speed sensors or maybe the tranny filter is getting clogged up? The fluid in it is still nice and red and up to the level it should be. I just bought the truck in october and the fluid was nice and red when i bought it, but who knows if they changed the filter. I have had NO tranny problems with it up until a few days ago when this little problem started. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 07-04-2013, 05:19 PM
bassin194
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kawkx500, I have a 2011 f250 with a 6.2 and had similar problem, the dealership replaced some solenoids which are in the tranny, however I'm not sure if this will apply to your truck, however if your tranny has these solenoids I bet this maybe the problem...... This forum has been a big help with me, search so threads I'm sure you will found more insight

Ps.. did you program it back to stock and see if maybe the tuner is not screwed up

Old 07-04-2013, 10:26 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
Originally Posted by kawkx500
2002 f350 7.3 ... problems started all of a sudden one day. I have an edge evolution tuner in my stroke. I have it set to make all of my shifts firm. One day it started shifting really sluggish between 1st and 2nd gears only. It dont do it all the time, but it does it more often then it doesnt. i have also noticed when i come to a complete stop and then start out again it seems that it doesnt downshift all the way back to first and when i hit the gas it seems to kinda be stuck between gears and it barely moves until i get the rpms up before it will ease its way into 2nd and the converter locks up. It shifts a through all the other gears just fine nice and firm like it should, its just the shift between 1st and 2nd. Im wondering if maybe it might be the speed sensors or maybe the tranny filter is getting clogged up? The fluid in it is still nice and red and up to the level it should be. I just bought the truck in october and the fluid was nice and red when i bought it, but who knows if they changed the filter. I have had NO tranny problems with it up until a few days ago when this little problem started. Any help would be appreciated.
An Edge has been known to kill transmissions.

It isn't necessary to change the internal filter. If it has enough junk in it t o make a difference then the trans is toast.
Originally Posted by bassin194
Kawkx500, I have a 2011 f250 with a 6.2 and had similar problem, the dealership replaced some solenoids which are in the tranny, however I'm not sure if this will apply to your truck, however if your tranny has these solenoids I bet this maybe the problem...... This forum has been a big help with me, search so threads I'm sure you will found more insight

Ps.. did you program it back to stock and see if maybe the tuner is not screwed up
Your 2011 is NOTHING like his 2002. His does not operate anything like your trans. The operating systems couldn't be more different.

Old 07-05-2013, 10:05 PM
kawkx500
Senior User
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
An Edge has been known to kill transmissions.

It isn't necessary to change the internal filter. If it has enough junk in it t o make a difference then the trans is toast.

Your 2011 is NOTHING like his 2002. His does not operate anything like your trans. The operating systems couldn't be more different.

thanks mark ... so there is nothing i can do? I mean all the other gears shift just fine, its just 1st to 2nd. Is there anything else i can try? I really cant afford a tranny right now ( i mean who really can .. lol ). Or is it basically just run it till it goes? Will it make the tranny go faster if i make it start out in 2nd? I did notice today that if i pull it the whole way down in first and shift it manually it works just fine .. everytime. I dont know what the deal with it is. If I do have to get one, is it better to go reman, rebuilt or new? I would like to at least get the 4r100HD.

Old 07-05-2013, 10:26 PM
Kdr358
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you value your truck, remove the edge. They kill transmissions as stated above and their tunes can produce very high EGT's that can damage the motor. IIRC ford will not warranty a HD4r100 if you have any aftermarket programming. (Told by my ford dealer). What were your trans temps? It sounds like its going to be rebuild time very soon.

Old 07-06-2013, 07:19 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

thanks mark ... so there is nothing i can do? I mean all the other gears shift just fine, its just 1st to 2nd. Is there anything else i can try? I really cant afford a tranny right now ( i mean who really can .. lol ). Or is it basically just run it till it goes? Will it make the tranny go faster if i make it start out in 2nd? I did notice today that if i pull it the whole way down in first and shift it manually it works just fine .. everytime. I dont know what the deal with it is. If I do have to get one, is it better to go reman, rebuilt or new? I would like to at least get the 4r100HD.
My guess is that it is too late to save it. Tuners kill transmissions, when you put one on the truck you have to expect this kind of thing to happen.

Starting in second might delay the inevitable. Besides spelling I do not know of any difference between a remain and a rebuild. A brand new trans is out of the question unless you have a time machine.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:15 PM
kawkx500
Senior User
Originally Posted by Kdr358
If you value your truck, remove the edge. They kill transmissions as stated above and their tunes can produce very high EGT's that can damage the motor. IIRC ford will not warranty a HD4r100 if you have any aftermarket programming. (Told by my ford dealer). What were your trans temps? It sounds like its going to be rebuild time very soon.
I have all the guages in the truck that i need .. i keep a close eye on the egt's ... they rarely ever climb over 700. I dont run my truck hard at all, and i rarely ever pull anything with it. My tranny temps seem to average about 180 with outside temps in the mid to high 80's with just the daily driving i do with it.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:22 PM
kawkx500
Senior User
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
My guess is that it is too late to save it. Tuners kill transmissions, when you put one on the truck you have to expect this kind of thing to happen.

Starting in second might delay the inevitable. Besides spelling I do not know of any difference between a remain and a rebuild. A brand new trans is out of the question unless you have a time machine.
When i wrote "rebulit" I meant would it be worth taking the one i have and getting it rebuilt or just buying one that has already been done .. lol .... yeah i wasnt really thinking when i put "new" because i know thats out of the question ... lol. ....... i noticed another thing thats been consistant with it ... when i first drive it for the day when the tranny is cold, it works like a brand new one, no issues of any kind until it starts getting warm. I definately understand that tuners kill transmissions, but i dont run my truck hard at all and thats no joke. I rarely even run my rpms over 2300 - 2400, my truck dont get ran hard, but i bought it used so who knows how the previous owner treated it.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:30 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

When i wrote "rebulit" I meant would it be worth taking the one i have and getting it rebuilt or just buying one that has already been done ..
It depends which one is built better. There is no one right answer.