1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

It begins.. 'Project Richfield'

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 10:18 AM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,610 Likes on 1,454 Posts
Your gauge looks good, the black and white paint especially. Here is a tip that maybe you thought of already. Buy some red paint at a hobby shop and with a small brush put some paint on the needle. Keep it light so it doesn't weigh too much, it might affect the accuracy.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:12 PM
EAK69
Senior User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by abe
Your gauge looks good, the black and white paint especially. Here is a tip that maybe you thought of already. Buy some red paint at a hobby shop and with a small brush put some paint on the needle. Keep it light so it doesn't weigh too much, it might affect the accuracy.
I cleaned all of the faces and actually took some yellow model paint to paint the upper part of the needle and then took some red and did the bottom - if you look close enough - you will see where I painted.

Thanks!

Old 04-09-2013, 11:15 PM
EAK69
Senior User

I have a few updates but this one we will start with.

I bought the 'new' one for $10 - all primed and working fine and had to drill out the old one so now I have to rebuild the new one with handle and bolts BUT they BOTH were already apart and I do not know how the handle and the lock nut(s) go on the new one.

Can someone post a picture of the handle assembly so I can put my together like it should be?? (The bottom one looks bigger only due to angle I shot the picture)

There will be a few more updates - been busy working on Edsels, Mustangs, TBirds, and Comets..... Oh My!!

Old 06-16-2013, 09:41 PM
EAK69
Senior User

OK - made some progress over the last month or two...

Took apart the wheels and brakes and had the drums turned (well the backs at least - the front ones are shot) and the shoes cleaned, painted, and reshoed... I forgot to take a 'after' pic..

This one was OK - just had a little surface rust on it.

Had to beat the snot out of this one to get it all aligned...

Test fitting the inners before sending them off to media blasting and powder coating. I am having several things powder coated (inners, radiator support, battery tray and fender brackets).

The DREADED wheels.... Yep, I took a Sawzall to them and never looked back!

I cut off as much as I could and now just have to get the bead off of all (5) of the rims (4 tires and 1 spare) - we found out only ONE rim was the infamous 'WIDOWMAKER' so that will be the spare!!

Here is how the truck sits right now - on (4) stands...

I am sending the cab out to media blasting in about 2-4 weeks with the 'new' hood I bought and the drivers door (the passenger door was already blasted and sprayed with etch primer for test) and I will have the rims sent out to get media blasted and powder coated in two weeks.

I will most likely grab the Flat 8 and tranny within a month, so this sucker might be drivable in a few months!! (Remember, I said DRIVABLE, not finished!!)

Old 06-17-2013, 05:49 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 762 Likes on 373 Posts
Awesome. Good to see progress. Keep moving forward.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:34 AM
EAK69
Senior User

Someone saw it with the cab sitting half way on the frame and asked me 'are you putting a V12 in it - is that why the cab is so far back?' - and I think he was serious!!

Old 06-21-2013, 02:19 AM
EAK69
Senior User

A little more progress has been made in the past few days:

Picked up this hood for $50 - it is just surface rust BUT a lot better than what I have at the shop. The one which came with the truck is chewed up and has bondo in the middle of it, so instead of fighting it for a week or two and trying to fix everything, decided to grab this one.... and it is getting ready for media blast.

Also dropped off the drivers door to have media blasted. The passenger door came out very clean, so soon I will have a matching set!

Will pick both of these up late next week and hit them with some etch primer.

I am looking to have the cab blasted within 2-4 weeks and then I can start rebuilding this puppy. Can't wait for that!!

Old 06-21-2013, 09:42 AM
Rojak
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ed, good to hear from you again. Look me up if you have some time while cruising the route through Central IL.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:27 AM
EAK69
Senior User

Originally Posted by Rojak
Look me up if you have some time while cruising the route through Central IL.
Quite possible I will be there in early Aug. Did you have (had) a Model A in your garage - I am trying to remember, I was surrounded by so many vehicles!!

Old 06-21-2013, 02:27 PM
Rojak
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EAK69
Quite possible I will be there in early Aug. Did you have (had) a Model A in your garage - I am trying to remember, I was surrounded by so many vehicles!!
Pretty close... 1927 Model T Touring. I hope to have my F3 roadworthy in the not too distant future and there will surely be some miles put on up and down the route here in my area!

Old 06-28-2013, 12:44 AM
EAK69
Senior User

It begins.. 'Project Sheridan' (formerly 'Project Richfield')

OK - a little more progress...

Went to our media blaster guy to pick up the drivers door and to drop off the running boards.

The drivers door pretty much came out like the passenger door: A little rust pocket (lower corner) and a few small dents I will fill.

The running board are perhaps the most 'banged up' things on the truck. I will get these blasted to see how much damage is really done to them.

I should be picking up my hood next week (blasted but popping out a SMALL 'oil canning' area, need to pick up my gas tank (cleaned out and sealed) and to run and get my 'bunch o parts' from the powder coaters.

Now I just need an engine and trans (might have access to one) and then the bed (same guy with the engine and trans) and then wrap up my tires and start building this sucker!!!

Old 06-28-2013, 12:45 AM
EAK69
Senior User

Also, will have to drop the cab off to him next week as well, he will media blast inside and out and cut out some rust and weld in some new sheet metal - should look grand!!!

Old 06-29-2013, 12:29 AM
EAK69
Senior User

More progress in a short amount of time....

The connection I had for the engine and tranny wanted to move them quickly, so he offered to sell me both of them for $500. Now, this is a COMPLETE engine and tranny. The pictures do not show the fan and the air cleaner on top of the carb as they are off to the side - out of frame. We will try to fire this puppy up in a week or two as it turns without a problem.

After we fire it up and see how well (or not) it runs, I will tear it down and send it out to get it hot tanked and start replacing some of the 'innerds' as needed, paint it, and drop the rebuilt engine and tranny hopefully within a month.

Tues we drop off the cab for media blasting and pick up the hood and running boards....

Old 06-29-2013, 09:32 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
It's likely to do more harm than good to try to run it. If you are going to tear it down anyway, what's the point? Tear it down first, fix what needs it.

Old 06-30-2013, 01:14 AM
EAK69
Senior User

Believe it or not - we almost fire up every engine that we get - unless we know it is toast. Just something we do....

Quick Reply: It begins.. 'Project Richfield'