General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Pics or it didn't happen!

Old 03-22-2015, 06:19 PM
BassFantasizer
Hotshot
Received 4,664 Likes on 2,600 Posts
Back in 1986, I spent 3 months in mainland China doing computer analysis on equipment used for petroleum research. Two of us flew from the U.S., through Hong Kong to Beijing where we boarded a train that dropped us off 23 hours later.

We had to spend a couple of nights in Hong Kong to get the Visas worked out. Since my workmate was born and raised there, it was an opportunity to see the Hong Kong night life like few first time visitors could.

We hit "the strip" and popped into one of the clubs. The stage was empty, as was the club. But in no time the bartender showed up. A shapely young woman in black panties and see-through black teddy. She pointed us to a couple of seats at the bar and beckoned us to sit down. As we sat, I noticed that the bar stools were unlike any I'd ever seen. They were actually little benches that could fit about 3 small people.

We ordered a couple of Michelob Lights. As the bartender set the mugs in front of us, 4 more women (dressed like the bartender, except that their attire was red) showed up to keep us company. It was now apparent why the bar stools were 3 people wide. The fit the patron and one woman snuggled tightly against each of his elbows.

I saw what was happening and told my friend, "we need to drink these and get out of here". So we asked for the tab and drank up. My Chinese friend got into a huge argument with the bartender and eventually signed the American Express receipt just before we exited.

Out on the sidewalk, we talked about what just happened. When the dust settled, he had signed a credit card receipt for $1,881 HKD (about $512 USD back then) for 2 beers. Two!

Name:  China receipt.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  54.1 KB

But they were Michelob Lights. At least it was good beer!

Old 03-22-2015, 06:21 PM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Old 03-22-2015, 06:40 PM
Jigger2020
FTE Legend
Received 5,131 Likes on 1,682 Posts
I think I am ^^^

Old 03-22-2015, 08:25 PM
SC_Hoaty
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by BassFantasizer
We ordered a couple of Michelob Lights. As the bartender set the mugs in front of us, 4 more women (dressed like the bartender, except that their attire was red) showed up to keep us company. It was now apparent why the bar stools were 3 people wide. The fit the patron and one woman snuggled tightly against each of his elbows.

I saw what was happening and told my friend, "we need to drink these and get out of here". So we asked for the tab and drank up. My Chinese friend got into a huge argument with the bartender and eventually signed the American Express receipt just before we exited.

Out on the sidewalk, we talked about what just happened. When the dust settled, he had signed a credit card receipt for $1,881 HKD (about $512 USD back then) for 2 beers. Two!

But they were Michelob Lights. At least it was good beer!
Higher priced 'cause it was an import.

Old 03-22-2015, 09:34 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Sounds like some extra options were bought and not used-

Old 03-23-2015, 06:29 AM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Old 03-23-2015, 07:53 AM
SDElwood
Hotshot
Received 587 Likes on 318 Posts
Old 03-23-2015, 07:54 AM
slimbo13
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 bad that one didnt have sound

Old 03-23-2015, 09:08 AM
stu37d
Government Teat-sucker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BassFantasizer

We had to spend a couple of nights in Hong Kong to get the Visas worked out. Since my workmate was born and raised there, it was an opportunity to see the Hong Kong night life like few first time visitors could.

My all time favorite port was Hong Kong. I remember the bars, and the women were very attractive, but buying them a drink was never 'forced.' However, if you declined to buy her one of those overpriced juices, she quickly leave to find another mark. I remember one time I was watching the girls dance and get all over each other. One of them asked me, "You want to buy me drink?"

"No." At which point she went over to someone else. The drinks were pretty expensive at $20 HKD. For the girls, the drinks were more like $35 HKD. All so the girls would sit with you for a few minutes.

Old 03-23-2015, 09:21 AM
SDElwood
Hotshot
Sounds like someone was making some HKD anyway...

Old 03-23-2015, 09:39 AM
grasfarmr73
Fleet Mechanic
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Old 03-23-2015, 09:54 AM
SDElwood
Hotshot
Old 03-23-2015, 10:00 AM
BassFantasizer
Hotshot
Received 4,664 Likes on 2,600 Posts
Originally Posted by stu37d
My all time favorite port was Hong Kong. I remember the bars, and the women were very attractive, but buying them a drink was never 'forced.' However, if you declined to buy her one of those overpriced juices, she quickly leave to find another mark. I remember one time I was watching the girls dance and get all over each other. One of them asked me, "You want to buy me drink?"

"No." At which point she went over to someone else. The drinks were pretty expensive at $20 HKD. For the girls, the drinks were more like $35 HKD. All so the girls would sit with you for a few minutes.

Sounds like you would have been a better traveling companion than the native that went along as my interpreter!

Back in the 80s, the environment was 180 degrees different between Hong Kong and the mainland. HK was wild and easy. My first night there the hotel (Holiday Inn) staff pushed a flyer under my door with names and phone numbers of the locals that they endorsed. There was no ambiguity about what was being advertised. But the mainland was just a couple of years removed from the days when an AK-47 occupied every street corner. It had a strict "hands off" rule. And where I was working was very far removed from the tourist areas. (You didn't wind up there by accident!) There was an ongoing tradition in my company where the newcomers would throw a few bucks into the pool. All you had to do to claim the pot was state that you'd bagged a local. Even though it was the honor system, in the 3 years that I knew, no one had ever made a claim for the pot.

The second most harrowing thing though, was landing in Honk Kong. That was the old runway that started at the edge of the city and extended into the Pacific. The rules required that the planes fly over the mountain and drop down to make their runway approach toward the sea. (That way an accident wound up in the water, not the city.) It was unnerving to have that 747 drop over the mountains in such a quick descent. About the time it got leveled off and you were convinced that the plane wasn't going to crash, you could look out the window and realize that you were actually below the tops of some of the buildings! I felt like I'd survived some kind of weird initiation.

The most harrowing was flying a China Air (CAA) 747. China only allowed their state-run airline to fly into the country. All of the pilots were former Chinese military. Until the day I flew into China I never knew that you could bank a 747 until the wings extended nearly vertically.

Old 03-23-2015, 10:03 AM
Toyman
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
RANDOM PIC

Attached Images  
Old 03-23-2015, 10:06 AM
SDElwood
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Toyman
RANDOM SELFIE