1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Tools, tools, I gotta have more tools!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 05:37 PM
GLR
FTE Legend
Received 852 Likes on 770 Posts
Organize? what's that? I know where everything is, sort of. NY, VA, some where in garage, my house, son's house, other son's house, last car worked on etc.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:21 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Given that this is the tool channel not the weather channel (I know, I started the weather thing) should we turn our attention back?

Would it be helpful to some of the viewers if we came up with a prioritized list of tools, or types of tools? I'm not sure we can do it, or even get much agreement, but.....

Would it even be worthwhile attempting it?

Old 01-02-2012, 10:23 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
No.

Too much thinking there....

JMO

Old 01-02-2012, 10:58 PM
bruno2
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ctubutis when you get that porta power I need to borrow it. I have wanted one of those hydraulic pipe benders like the porta power.

My neighbor is a lifetime professional mechanic. He has the Harbor freight balljoint press or 3 in 1 service tool as they call it. I bet he has done over 100 ball joints and other various bushing applications with it and its still going.

Addressing the "my Craftsman tools I bought in the 70's guy". Craftsman tools arent what they used to be. I have craftsman tools from my Grandpa and my dad still has his he bought in the 60's. They are nice tools. The ones I bought from mid 80's up are pieces of junk. They break all the time and sears acts like they dont want to warranty them w/o a fight anymore. A lot of their tools if they are made to be abused they dont offer the lifetime guarantee with those anymore.

Snap on Matco, Mac and Cornwell make fantastic tools. They seem like they dont want to warranty them either when they break. My neighbor dropped a ton of coin on a Matco tool box and after 10yrs it is a big POS. The Matco guy wont warranty it for him. He acted like he was going to go down to one of the tool stores and buy him some casters , but , he never did that. Let alone do something about the drawers that wont open or close anymore.

I do buy some Harbor freight stuff from time to time. I started buying their angle grinders for $19.99. They only last about a yr, but , the $80.00 dewalts I have been buying only go for 2-3 yrs before they have to have $40-$60 spent on them at the shop. dewalt has really gone down hill and I dont have any faith in their stuff anymore. I bought a brand dewalt new 3/8 drill(with the cord) from Lowes a few yrs ago. It never worked right from day one. I took it to the black and decker/dewalt service center while it was under warranty and they said they fixed it . However they didnt. When I realized it was doing the same thing I took it back to them and they told me it was out of warranty now. I said yeah, while it was under warranty you supposedly fixed it , but , you really didnt . They replied "it looks like you have abused it". I told them to go to heck and havent bought any of their stuff since.

Makita makes a nice tool . That grinder should give you good service.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:22 AM
Anafiel
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Would it be helpful to some of the viewers if we came up with a prioritized list of tools, or types of tools? I'm not sure we can do it, or even get much agreement, but.....

Would it even be worthwhile attempting it?

It would be helpful to me, so I'll have to trump Chris here.

I've been working out of one of those neat canvas Military tool pouches for a few years, but I want to get a little more serious with my tool selection. This is what I have in my pouch:

1) 1/4" ratchet with a couple different extension lengths, and corresponding socket rack
2) 3/8" ratchet, with same as above
3) various adapters for the above
4) swivels for above
5) side cutters, dike/snips, needle nose, crescent wrench and wire stripper/crimper tool
6) 1/2" breaker bar (obviously not in the pouch) and a 3/8" adapter
7) socket rack of 1/2" impact sockets to use with my breaker bar. I made sure I had the ones that fit the shackle bolts and various other larger nuts/bolts
8) various Phillips and flat head screwdrivers
9) allen key set, feeler gauges, gapping tool
10) Swiss Army Knife (multi function tool)

I also have a large Torx screwdriver set

I have a big wooden toy-box that has all my small spare parts, gasket stuff, fluids and greases, c-clamps of various sizes, all kinds of wire thingies, timing light, multi-meter, vacuum gauge, Dremmel, side grinder set, code reader for the Bronco.

Two good jack stands, but I don't have a good jack yet. Still using that little screw jack that's under the hood.

I'm still having to work without the benefit of a concrete slab or a garage. I'm thinking of maybe a sheet of 3/4" plywood and a floor jack would work out in the yard.

What I DON'T have are any kind of suspension or steering system tools, press of any kind, bench vise, or engine crane/hoist.

I've just started working on collecting my precision tools.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:30 AM
Anafiel
Posting Guru
Oh yea, and I don't have a dang mig welder, or even an acetylene torch.

I feel SO deprived!!

Old 01-03-2012, 06:45 AM
Galendor
Posting Guru

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ice scraper
Tire gauge
Wheel lug wrench
Wheel Chock(s)
Jumper Cables

Old 01-03-2012, 08:18 AM
artfd
Elder User
Exclamation

If you could have only one power tool to work on your truck, which one would it be?

Old 01-03-2012, 08:23 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by artfd
If you could have only one power tool to work on your truck, which one would it be?
I would have to know something about what I was going to do. Am I just maintaining a running vehicle? Or am I restoring a find from a field? Those take very different steps and therefore tools. And, they probably represent the extremes of tasks.

Old 01-03-2012, 01:10 PM
artfd
Elder User
Exclamation

I would have to know something about what I was going to do. Am I just maintaining a running vehicle? Or am I restoring a find from a field? Those take very different steps and therefore tools. And, they probably represent the extremes of tasks.
I was thinking of just maintaining a running vehicle.

Old 01-03-2012, 01:38 PM
lavatan
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know if its considered a power tool or not but I love my pneumatic wrench.

Old 01-03-2012, 01:44 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
I was thinking of just maintaining a running vehicle.
Ok, you asked. And, you put no limits on it. Therefore, I would chose a 2-post lift, like the one I bought: Atlas OH9000

I paid ~$2k for mine and wouldn't be without it as it dramatically simplifies the various maintenance tasks like changing oil, doing brake jobs, greasing the front end, rotating tires, changing shocks, replacing exhaust systems, etc. I have lots of other power tools, like the large air compressor, MIG welder, plasma cutter, grinders of all sorts, drills, etc. But, those are for the most part used to restore vehicles, like doing body work or painting, media blasting, and running an impact gun - all with the air compressor.

So, from a maintenance standpoint it is the lift that is head and shoulders above all other power tools for me. Yes, the air compressor is needed, but I could get by with a lot less compressor than what I have now if all I were doing was maintenance. And, I wouldn't even consider a 4-post lift for maintenance. Further, if you watch you can find them on craigslist for a lot less than what I paid. But, you do need a 12' ceiling for most of them. And you need 240V.

Old 01-03-2012, 01:55 PM
lavatan
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Getting to the craftsman/snap-on/other tool debate... I have several ratchets made by Craftsman my grandfather had. He was a Die Hard (see what I did there ) Craftsman guy. These tools are over 40 years old and, while they have some wear, the action is still very good. As to the exchange problems you are having, I haven't had a single issue. I even returned a GearWrench that I broke when I used it in conjunction with an impact and they exchanged it without complaint. I'll still buy Craftsman/Sears tools even if they are made in China.

Old 01-03-2012, 02:46 PM
JB-1
Senior User
I agree with Craftsman not being as good as it once was. When I was a kid (80's) the older Craftsman tools my Dad had just wouldn't die but the new ones didn't seem to want to take the abuse as happily. Dad used to complain about that all the time. I generally use what works for my purpose and that sometimes means the cheap tool if it is something I'm not likely to use often enough to wear out. With that in mind, I have a cheap Skil corded drill that was bought by Dad when his Dewalt died mid job 14 years ago and I haven't been able to kill that drill yet. I built a room addition and a back porch with it for Mom (and drilled into concrete to anchor the posts) and that $20 Skil just won't die and I can't justify buying a new one until it does.
I have used Makita and that was nice, as well as Milwaukee and I have used the Home Depot Huskey brand of power tools with much satisfaction. I have no experience with with them myself, but when I worked at Home Depot (years ago) the contractors (customers and fellow employees) were all in love with the Hilti stuff when Depot started carrying that.
As for my small collection, it just got alot larger now that Dad is retired and lives with me and we finally have the truck cleared out. I now have access to all kinds of tools that I didn't previously. Welder (gotta learn), router, compound miter saw, sanders, tubing benders, HVAC stuff and gauges, et cetera.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:52 PM
Anafiel
Posting Guru
Ok, you asked. And, you put no limits on it. Therefore, I would chose a 2-post lift, like the one I bought: Atlas OH9000

Yea, in my dreams.

But seriously, where does one draw the line? If I had your setup, I'd be tempted to hang my shingle out front, know what I mean?

I know most of us here are serious about our "hobby", and I hope you don't read a "but" in there anywhere. I'd LOVE to have your setup, and to be honest, I have a hard time not succumbing to envy of a lot of yous guyses setups. Man, wouldn't it be sweet to stroll into a heated, fully outfitted workshop.

I'm just hoping to one day find that perfect balance...have all the things I need, and a few things I want.

So...I'm going to another flea market this weekend. Can't wait to see what I come home with!!

Quick Reply: Tools, tools, I gotta have more tools!