EcoBoost (all engine sizes) 3.5L Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.7 Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.3l/2.0L I4 EcoBoost Engines

Another Ecoboost failure story

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 09:55 AM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

^^^ x2 ^^^

Leave it on the side of the road...in neutral with emergency brake applied. That way the tow vehicle can winch it up. No need for key at that point...

biz

Old 01-25-2012, 10:53 AM
LSchicago2
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by biz4two
^^^ x2 ^^^

Leave it on the side of the road...in neutral with emergency brake applied. That way the tow vehicle can winch it up. No need for key at that point...

biz
Why would you want it towed without the key? Most dealer lots are difficult to drop a truck without a key, you can't steer it in a spot, or maneuver unless you have a perfect angle. How would the dealer work on it without the key? This makes no sense to me. The only way I'll tow a vehicle without the key is when keys are lost, and that will cost EXTRA for the extra labor and inconvenience. Most towing companies have similar policy's.

Old 01-25-2012, 03:51 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Arrow

Originally Posted by LSchicago2
Why would you want it towed without the key? Most dealer lots are difficult to drop a truck without a key, you can't steer it in a spot, or maneuver unless you have a perfect angle. How would the dealer work on it without the key? This makes no sense to me. The only way I'll tow a vehicle without the key is when keys are lost, and that will cost EXTRA for the extra labor and inconvenience. Most towing companies have similar policy's.
Valid points...but let me clarify.

I meant NO key in the ignition...so that it cannot be accidentally started before diagnostic tools can be connected. Trying to preserve any codes or evidence per se.

biz

Old 01-26-2012, 05:11 PM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I guarantee they have something that will record real time data, I do, it's called a Snap-on Solus Pro. It will record a movie of the data you want that can be played back. You could try putting a big lightning rod on it so hopefully it'll get hit and fry all the electronics, then Ford would have to fix it. BTW, there is an emission performance warranty required by federal law, there is also a lemon law. Having worked a number of years ago in a dealership (not Ford) the policy then was if it runs, but not correctly, it is probably polluting, so it is a warranty issue, if it won't run at all, then it is not an emission warranty issue.

Old 01-28-2012, 12:48 AM
New F150 Guy
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So they called my wife and described that there was a corroded cable/wire and a "bolt" was loose. When I pick up the truck the paperwork doesn't show anything about the cable being corroded and I'm told they "cleaned it off". The bolt was a ground point, the same one the last dealership checked and said was tight and secure.

So I head down the highway and low and behold I'm getting 17.2 doing 70 mph. That is quite an improvement for not being able to duplicate or remedy the situation.

Then I start up a grade with the cruise on... Yep started that same "shudder" or whatever I should call it. The mileage went directly to 15.5 mpg. And there it stays just like all of the other times. I'm not sure if it is electrical, trans, engine, or computer related, but whatever causes that shudder causes something to trip and change the mpg of the truck.

I had about 80 miles on it with it averaging the 17+ and then the next 50 miles averaged 15.4. It is like someone flips a switch but I can't figure out what switch... (no the grade doesn't change to uphill and the wind doesn't change midway through the trip. I can drive this the opposite direction and get the same 15.5 average...)

Then the rough idle came back and all of the other symptoms have started to re-appear.

Old 02-02-2012, 01:38 AM
mustang_gt_350
Laughing Gas
Anything new on the subject?

DO you have access to a video camera? or a digital cam that will take video with sound? If your drives are withing the recording limits of your camera. Every time you get in the truck turn the key on and the camera at the same time. Then you have proof that its something that can cause an accident and its not the drivers fault, and it will be already running so you can just pick it up and point it in the direction of the CEL and get a sweep of the gauges.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:25 PM
Highboy74
Tuned
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Man this really sucks. It almost sounds like the main computer is bad. My dads 2003 150 4x4 with 193,000 miles on it displayed a lot of these symptoms you have described. The engine light came on and when we took it to Ford they declared it to be the computer.

I hate dealerships these days. If it wasn't for the fact my dad has bought 100's of Ford vehicles from the same dealership for the last 40 + years, I know he would get the run around as well. Matter of fact, I have a 2007 Mustang I have a posi going out in and the local dealership (not where my dad is located) gave me the run around yesterday and couldn't duplicate what I had described. They told me they drove it 40-50 miles and couldn't figure out what I was talking about. I went to pick up the Stang and they drove it 17.7 miles! So, today I went down there and told the service manager (very nicely) I wanted the rear end tech to ride with me. So, the tech jumps in the car I showed him the problem and of course, " Well, I cannot say for sure it's the rear end because it could be the clutch pressure plate." So, I told him (service manager and tech) about the 2 TSB's posted for the rear end posi clutch packs going bad. Got the run around on that too. I took my car in prior to the warranty expiring back in March of 2011 and they said it was the clutch. A year later clutch is still good and rear end feels as though it is gonna shake out from under the car. I took it to a differential guy I know in town and he verified it was in fact the rear end. The problem I have now is the car is 8,000 miles out of warranty. Either way, I will keep fighting the good fight. I could take it to my dad's dealer, but I don't want to drive 2 hours and not have the car for a week. I think its kind of fun listening the Ford dealership try and feed me bull*****.

To get back to your problem, I would ask the service manager to speak to the rep. Once you get ahold of the rep explain your issues, both with the truck and service department. Hopefully the rep will help you figure out the trucks problem. Also, look up the lemon law. I'm not too familiar with it, but I know people who have had vehicles replaced because the manufacture couldn't correct the problem.

Don't get discouraged with Ford either because my in-laws waist there money on Obama mobiles (Chebby) and they get the same flack at the Chebby dealer. No vehicle manufacture is going to give free parts and service away now more than ever.

If you know a good private vehicle repair shop on your town, have them look at it and see if they can find what is wrong with it. I used to work for one wrenching on cars and believe it or not more people than you think do this even when the vehicle is under warranty. We would tell them the issue and they would take it to the dealership and get it fix under warranty. Yeah, they spent less than a hundred bucks with us, but they got the issue taken care of.

This just my two cents. Please keep us updated.

Old 02-05-2012, 02:14 PM
Roasted7
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by New F150 Guy

What do I have to do to get them to investigate the problem?

Not sure how the laws work in your state but in montana if you show up with the lemon law paperwork all filled out, they will lick you ***** if that's what's required to fix the truck.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:37 PM
Powerdude
Elder User
Wow, that really sucks. And to top it all off, you're in trouble with the old lady.

That's not good. I feel as though current manufacturer's use the customers to beta test their vehicle designs. All they do is run it through a computer simulation several times, enter it in a race, run it around a test track a few times, and Bingo !

Then they pronounce it ready for prime time.

It's really a shame. Turboed engines are just a tad more complicated than normally aspirate engines. You'd think they would have put in some way to store more parameters in the computer.

But then again, you'd be assuming that the design department actually had some authority. The final authority always lies with the stupid greedy bean counters.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:51 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Thumbs up

To the OP...

Might want to give this a try. It's called a Bluetooth OBDII Connector. Using it with a smartphone Android and an App called Torque...it will log data real time.

See link...

Bluetooth OBDII Connector - CravenSpeed Online

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QxdLJg-n-xQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Good luck...

biz

Old 02-08-2012, 02:50 PM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Sounds like it is dumping fuel into the firebox.

Well, another trip to the dealership ought to do it for a cool glass of Lemonade. I you know what I mean?

If you do have to go the legal route some states require that the manufacturer buy the add-ons as well.

This story is starting to sound like the early 6.0 Diesel days...A nightmare Ford would probably still like to wake-up from.

Good luck..But, if it helps. My Eco is running great.

Old 02-08-2012, 02:58 PM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Update on mine i replaced the turbo solenoid myself $27.00 and 5 mins and i have not had the surging problem so far. I had the kam cleard and pcm reprogrammed be fore i did the replacement and that didnt work. I was also noticing the turbos dropping boost between shift points more often and now hardly at all.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...g-problem.html

Sometimes descriptions are different but, the problem is the same.

May be nuthin' .....Good luck
<!-- / message -->

Old 02-29-2012, 12:07 PM
countryboy69
Junior User
there is a new tsb(not sure on the number) to reprogram the pcm and possible drivers side cat. it has enhanced misfire monitoring and some other updates. this may help it flag a code and help you get it fixed.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:12 PM
countryboy69
Junior User
the tsb number is 12-02-10

Old 02-29-2012, 04:50 PM
New F150 Guy
Freshman User
I had the TSB applied to my truck. Didn't help. Seems as though it helped some for a short duration until it came back out of learning mode. Then things went back to the way they were prior to the TSB. Probably associated with coming out of learning mode again.

I had been slowly modding my truck, but my wife has put her foot down on any more mods until it is fixed or lemon lawed. I do appreciate all the info that guys post on forums like these, it is a great place to learn about the good and bad of specific models.

Quick Reply: Another Ecoboost failure story