6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Are all fuel filters equal?

Old 12-30-2011, 08:12 PM
bnmccoy
Elder User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are all fuel filters equal?

Lots of discussion regarding fuel additives; ULSD; Bio-Diesel; and the amount of water.

We are told not to use an additive that emulsifies the water because the filter can not remove emulsified water. I noticed a few weeks back a post on one of the GM sites a GM TSB about a new filter that was better at removing emulsified water (2009). Then a couple of weeks ago while on the Donaldson site relative to the air filter in my truck I come across basically the same information about filtering emulsified water from diesel fuel.

So I have done some more digging. I am wondering if perhaps we do not have the best filter for the 6.7 or the earlier PSD's with the current fuels. Maybe GM has a better filter. Maybe Racor's aquabloc used in my truck isn't the best material. I am not questioning the use of additives; I am questioning is Ford utilizing the best filter for the job?

So below are some links for you to draw your own conclussions.

New Fuel Filter Looks Promising. - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
this is the original thread I read about GM filter

GM Techlink: December 2009 Archives
above link; scroll down to the filter; note the effieciency of the new filter for emulsified fuel

http://www.donaldson.com/en/engine/s...ary/063503.pdf
This link is very informative; note the ppm of water in the chart on page 3 for ULSD from TX and then for Bio blends from other places. Read the summary at the end. Note difference for bio from animal vs. soy.
“The dissolved water concentration for diesel fuel<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
is typically in the range of 30 ppm to 180 ppm.” ULSD

http://www.donaldson.com/en/engine/shoptalk/070451.pdf
Nice graphic of how water is suppose to be removed

http://www.engine-expo.com/07ex_conf..._donaldson.pdf
The emulsified water is smaller in ULSD vs LSD.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:28 PM
PowerStrokeHD
Postmaster
It should be noted that unlike the 6.4L, 6.0L and 7.3L which use a Racor fuel filtration system, the 6.7L does not. Ford went with Sogefi for the fuel filtration system on the 6.7L.

On a side note to that... Sogefi selected Honeywell (FRAM) as the sole distributor to the aftermarket for the 6.7L fuel filters in North America. So, if you want OEM stick with Ford/Motorcraft or FRAM.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:32 PM
KC8QVO
Cargo Master
Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
In a discussion I had with another 6.7 owner recently he has been using a certain brand of filters for all of his diesel engines for decades - trucks and equipment. He was telling me about a trip to the dealer and they showed a cut-away between the Motorcraft fuel filters and an off-brand "equivalent". The guy I was talking to said it was pretty hard to make the switch to Motorcraft after using, and still using in everything else, his choice brand, but also didn't want to risk anything.

From the get-go with my 6.4 everything I have used and intend to use, filter-wise, will be OEM. I feel it holds a bit more merit in maintenance records to a Ford service center, whether that holds out or not. After some of the stories recently it really makes me wonder.... I just want to be as proactive as I can be on maintenance.

Old 12-31-2011, 12:22 PM
bnmccoy
Elder User

The 6.7 primary fuel filter has the pleats vertical vs. horizontal on the 6.0 and 6.4 HFCM; this would seem to make more sense for the heavier water to fall out.

I use OEM filters but I can't help but wonder if Ford kept up with the changes to the ULSD fuel and Bio-blend fuels with respect to the emulsified water droplets getting smaller. If I read the one document correctly it would seem that some fuel additives cause the water droplets to become even smaller and at higher flow rates through the media it becomes an issue; even the type of pumping action through the media is of concern.

From the bio-diesel paper: (and this was bio-diesel comment)
"It’s interesting to see that the fuel from Florida has the highest
particulate contamination, making one wonder if the humidity or the salty air is part of the problem. When looking at the fuel density, we found that the fuel from Florida is the lightest, meaning the heat duty of this fuel is lower than others."

Fuel quality is going to vary depending what part of the country you are in; and state laws mandating bio %, cetane, etc.

Basically our fuel has less lubricity and now has moisture that is more difficult to filter the emulsified water from even with straight ULSD. Bio-diesel improves on the lubricity but increases the likelyhood of moisture.

If I were the owner of a truck that had warranty denied for water damage and I had been properly maintaining that truck I would be of the opinion that the filter system is not totally up to the task.

I know that no filter system is perfect; but do we have the best available?

Bob

Old 12-31-2011, 12:58 PM
bnmccoy
Elder User

Searching on information provided by PowerStokeHD....

Diesel3Tech
The above link references the 2011 truck; and indicates 95% water removal efficiency.

Sogefi Diesel3Tech
above link is nice slide show about Diesel2Tech filter which would seem to be the type of filter in the 6.7
slide 4 references the same specification as mentioned in the Donaldson paper about needing to be upgraded; now in the Donaldson paper the 60um value is in Red; maybe the Donaldson paper is indicating it is the new number or needs to be changed. I don't know from the text. In any case if you look at the water particle size in the Donaldson paper it is much smaller than 60uM.
slide 11 indicates 60uM filtration.

The GM tech bulletin stated 100%; but at what water droplet size?

http://www.sogefifilterdivision.com/...logyfinal1.pdf
also states 95%

I also found SAE papers exist regarding their filter technology; and interesting too was there are SAE papers by others about slow release lubricity fuel filters (sorta like the coolant filters with SCA).

Old 01-07-2012, 01:44 PM
bnmccoy
Elder User

Lots of posts that filters can not remove emulsified water in diesel fuel; that is not entirely true. Most are designed to do just that, the problem is the filter technology may not have kept up with the fuel.

The problem is the ULSD fuel can have even smaller emulsified water than LSD and it gets worse with bio-diesel (although bio is great for lubricity)

The 6.7 filter is designed to get rid of 95% of emulsified water 60uM or larger; the problem is if this water is smaller which it might be.

So use an additive that will demulsify and add lubricity. Hopefully the demulsifier would help the water separation filter do the job.

I just wonder how the US Navy is going to handle all that bio-fuel they are going to use?

Bob

Old 01-07-2012, 03:17 PM
Glockin' Bob
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I see NAPA has oil, air and fuel filters for the 6.7 now. I wonder how the quality of their fuel filter stacks up against the Motorcraft?

Old 01-07-2012, 04:00 PM
bnmccoy
Elder User

NAPA filters use to be WIX; I don't know if that is still true. It was a WIX replacement oil filter for the 6.0 and 6.4 that did not fit correctly and lead to non warranty covered repairs as I recall. I have always considered WIX to be a great brand; but, if it were my truck I would stick with Motorcraft while in warranty and let someone else work out the bugs with any aftermarket replacement filters.

Old 01-07-2012, 04:02 PM
bnmccoy
Elder User

Filtration + Separation - Fuel filtration: Protecting the diesel engine

Another interesting read on difficulty of filtering ULSD; even though 2009 there is some good information.

Bob

Old 01-08-2012, 12:11 PM
Glockin' Bob
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NAPA Gold oil filter for 6.7

It might be interesting to use the sawzall on the Motorcraft and NAPA filters. I'm noticing that for whatever reason the NAPA Gold (7151)filter is $32, quite a bit more expensive than the Motorcraft. Perhaps it's a better filter. I wonder if the specs are available on the Motorcraft part?

Here are the specs on the NAPA filter from their website:

<table align="center" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="500"><tbody><tr valign="top"><td class="blackmedium"><table align="center" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" height="180" width="180"><tbody><tr><td align="center"> </td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> <td width="300"> <table border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr valign="top"> <td class="blackmedium" width="130">Part Number:</td> <td class="blackmedium">7151</td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td class="blackmedium">UPC Number:</td> <td class="blackmedium">765809209794</td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td class="blackmedium">Principal Application:</td> <td class="blackmedium">Ford F-Series Super Duty PU w/ 6.7L diesel (11-12)</td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td class="blackmedium">
</td> <td class="blackmedium">All Applications</td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td class="blackmedium">Style:</td> <td class="blackmedium">Spin-On Lube Filter</td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td class="blackmedium">Service:</td> <td class="blackmedium">Lube</td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td class="blackmedium">Type:</td> <td class="blackmedium">Full Flow</td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td class="blackmedium">Media:</td> <td class="blackmedium">Wire/Glass</td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td class="blackmedium">Height:</td> <td class="blackmedium">6.932</td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td class="blackmedium">Outer Diameter Top:</td> <td class="blackmedium"> 3.690 </td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td class="blackmedium">Outer Diameter Bottom:</td> <td class="blackmedium"> Closed </td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td class="blackmedium">Thread Size:</td> <td class="blackmedium">1-16</td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td class="blackmedium">By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI:</td> <td class="blackmedium">13</td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td class="blackmedium">Anti-Drain Back Valve:</td> <td class="blackmedium">Yes</td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td class="blackmedium">Beta Ratio:</td> <td class="blackmedium">2/20/75=3/12/17</td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td class="blackmedium">Nominal Micron Rating:</td> <td class="blackmedium">5</td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="2">
<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="250"> <tbody><tr><td colspan="4" class="blackmedium" align="center">Gasket Diameters</td></tr> <tr> <td class="blackmedium" align="center">Number</td> <td class="blackmedium" align="center">O.D.</td> <td class="blackmedium" align="center">I.D.</td> <td class="blackmedium" align="center">Thk.</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#FFFFFF" height="25" valign="bottom"> <td class="blackmedium" align="center"> Attached </td> <td class="blackmedium" align="center"> 2.810 </td> <td class="blackmedium" align="center"> 2.466 </td> <td class="blackmedium" align="center"> 0.324 </td> </tr> </tbody></table></td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="2">
</td></tr></tbody></table>

Fuel filter:

Part Number: 3615
UPC Number: 765809210783
Principal Application: Ford F-Series Super Duty PU w/ 6.7L diesel (11-12) - two different style fuel filters packaged together - sold as one unit (not sold seperately)
All Applications
Style: Cartridge Fuel Metal Free Filter
Service: Fuel
Type: Full Flow
Media: Paper
Height: 5.243
Outer Diameter Top: 4.000
Outer Diameter Bottom: 3.928
Inner Diameter Top: Closed
Inner Diameter Bottom: 2.370

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Packed 4.240 3.980 0.130

The price of this fuel filter is $119, kinda ridiculous IMHO.