6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Faulty PMM Coolant Filtration System filter base (w/pictures)

Old 01-10-2012, 06:44 PM
justinmix
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bismic
So does the company that makes a coolant filter that (quote) "looks like it comes from Walmart" - LOL.
Oh snap, good one Bismic! Lol. I'm sorry, it looks more like something hodge podged together from Lowes or Home Depot rather then Walmart....

Personally I've never used the dieselsite coolant filters, or seen anyone from there on the forums. I was just never impressed with the coolant filters they offered, for the price they wanted. If I wanted to make my own coolant filter I could do it for less then that, and probably make it look nicer.

I get no personal gains from defending PMM, and I don't have any history with them either. But based off my recent dealings I'm willing to give them a shot, and feel that others should do that as well. I just ordered 7 of their EGR deletes to try out and will see how that goes as well.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:49 PM
justinmix
New User
If you want to make your own coolant filter just do what this guy did......

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-filter-2.html

You could probably do it for less money and it looks just a nice as the dieselsite one.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:50 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,698 Posts
Bob from Dieselsite has been on the forums periodically. He posted up some very helpful comments on the topic of "leaking tees" in the heater hose (and offered to compensate a few folks that had issues). He has a lot more solid reputation than the other folks mentioned so far (and I spend a lot of time on almost all of the 6.0L forums) - but then Dieselsite has been around a lot longer also. I just found the comment interesting - based on the stance taken regarding this thread.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:08 PM
justinmix
New User
Like I said, I've never personally used the dieselsite coolant filters, or had any interaction with them. I was only stating my personal opinions on there filter kits, just as everyone else is stating their own personal opinions. I just think it's interesting how that other guy made his own coolant filter system and half the components are from Home Depot.....

Mark, I'm not trying to start a pissing match with you or anyone on here. I respect your opinions and find your posts very interesting. I enjoyed our discussion on the powerstroke.org site about the differences between a hall effect sensor and a magnetic pickup sensor. You seem very informed and obviously spend more time on the forums then I do. I am merely trying to post my experiences and opinions with the company involved with this post.

From what I've seen PMM is trying to do the same thing as for as offering solutions and compensation.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:29 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,698 Posts
justinmix - I am not trying to be difficult either, but I know sometimes I can come across that way. My apologies if I did come across in that fashion. I was more amused than anything over the Walmart comment!

I really was trying to make a similar point to that which you made in a few of your recent posts (in this thread) ...... that customer service is what distinguishes suppliers.

Bob took a beating for a few posts and handled it pretty well a while back. Based on that (and other positive forum interactions) he enjoys a good reputation. Sounds like PMM is willing to make things good. These forums provide some significant incentive for the vendors to be responsive and to try to provide a quality product. Anyone that deals w/ the public will experience an unhappy customer from time-to-time. Where I am coming from is that even a coolant filter can be a big problem if it fails. It can leave someone stranded, could contribute to overheating, etc. It is good to know the pros and cons on as much as possible!

For anyone that is interested, I believe what used to be Cobbs Diesel is now PMM (merged, bought out, or something like that)

Edit - I stand corrected on the statement above - THANKS Tim!

Old 01-10-2012, 09:44 PM
Tennesseepowerstroke
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
For anyone that is interested, I believe what used to be Cobbs Diesel is now PMM (merged, bought out, or something like that)[/QUOTE]

I think you are correct about Cobbs Diesel and PPM.

Are all coolant filter bases subject to having the stud come out from the base. I wish I had seen this before I purchased. I plan to replace the base with another one. Live and learn.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:59 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Tennesseepowerstroke

Are all coolant filter bases subject to having the stud come out from the base. I wish I had seen this before I purchased. I plan to replace the base with another one. Live and learn.
I would think there all the same coolant filter base with that cheap nipple

IDK maybe JB Weld it in there
pull the nipple out and JB Weld it and screww it back in there. Just has to be something the coolant wount eat

Plus the nipple is so thin so thats another issue

maybe you can find a nipple thats got thicker walls at home depot like a schedule 40 pipe nipple or somthing. The filter itself only has a 5/32 hole in the center of it so a thicker nipple wont have any affect.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:42 PM
dukie1877
Elder User

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
get a piece of allthread and drill it out and cut it off

Old 01-11-2012, 07:26 AM
sammy77
Postmaster
Originally Posted by AMB_F-150
Just wanted to give a little update on my install. I received the new filter base in the mail yesterday and had a chance to install it after work today. The filter spun onto the base nice and even. Checked everything with the truck running up to operating temperature and had no leaks or any other problems. As you can see from the pictures I drilled a couple holes in the plastic so that I could zip-tie the hose and keep it more secure.

Regardless of everything else that was discussed since my original post I am happy with the system. PMM did a fine job taking care of my issue immediately, no questions asked. I want to make it clear that I did not make the original post with any intention of bashing PMM, or making a huge deal out of the situation. As already mentioned, I did call them immediately after discovering the faulty base and the problem was dealt with then. Later, I posted my situation so that other people would not make the mistake I made (not checking fitment prior to full installation).

Sigh of relief now that I know the coolant is being filtered!

The kit looks very clean. Keep us posted on how's it's doing...

Old 01-11-2012, 07:34 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by justinmix
If you want to make your own coolant filter just do what this guy did......

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-filter-2.html

You could probably do it for less money and it looks just a nice as the dieselsite one.
While the setup that he made is nice, there is no comparison between the fit and finish of the dieselsite setup and that one. Time is money. The time I would have spent chasing down parts and fabricating a bracket was better spent elsewhere.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:55 AM
F-250HD
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's NOT True valves are an OPTION on the Sinister Kit..........I purchased one last year, I would have had to pay extra for the valves.

Originally Posted by tharepairguy
I know nothing about this product and I guess it would depend upon the price point, function and looks. It sounds like from another post that this kit filters differently than the other kits. I think the Sinister kit is hard to beat at it's price with included valves vs it's comp.

This day and age where retailers have to bend over backwards for pain the *** customers that are not always right, is sad. If you have a problem with a product you purchased, call them first and see how they deal with it. Until you have done that, it's pretty low to bash them online. I've never dealt with these guys but it seems like they handled the situation great, hopefully they offered a little compensation to the OP since we know that the coolant lost because of their problem wasn't the OP's fault. But IMHO, the OP should have test fit the filter before install, it's just the smart thing to do, esp on a new product.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:18 PM
villestrip
Tuned
Originally Posted by BLADE35
Exactly

Hell the next batch of coolant filters they comeout with might be
the best on the market who knows

But what they have now is Junk

Probably a good thing they made it so the trucks could be returned to stock
cuz thats what Id be doing
no way would I risk a 10K moter over a 100 buck coolant filter!!

I guess you could say this pic was the straw that broke the camels back for me

I would just hate to see any of you guys Burn your truck up over a $$100.00 AM part

Benny those pics are off my PMM filter kit. They have sent me a new one and have since installed it on my truck.. It looked like to me they have changed the nipple on the new one I have recieved. How does this setup differ from the Sinister kits nipple setup? Just curious cause I worry after reading all of these posts.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:39 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by villestrip
Benny those pics are off my PMM filter kit. They have sent me a new one and have since installed it on my truck.. It looked like to me they have changed the nipple on the new one I have recieved. How does this setup differ from the Sinister kits nipple setup? Just curious cause I worry after reading all of these posts.

Did you by chance take any pics of the new filter BAse???

I dont know how the sinister nipple setup is I made my own with a NAPA Filter base I also ran all Bigger lines and drill the filters out to 1/2 inch and then dumped it back into the heater return line all Ran with the bigger 3/4 lines

The NAPA Filter BAse is a Solid part the nipple is alot thicker and Im not 100% shure but the Nipple and alll the filter head maybe 1 peice Im going to snap some pics next time I change the filter out but that nipple on it is way thicker on the napa one its not the prettiest but is a SOLID part

Old 02-08-2012, 06:43 PM
villestrip
Tuned
No I didn't take any pics. I failed. I also just called Sinister to ask about buying just the filter base and he reccommended if the threads come out to just use 5 minute epoxy. He said that's what they use on theirs.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:47 AM
High Binder
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like my posts explaining in detail my Dieselsite problem and the way I and others have been treated by Dieselsite were deleted...

Maybe PMM should just become a site sponsor.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Faulty PMM Coolant Filtration System filter base (w/pictures)