6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Faulty PMM Coolant Filtration System filter base (w/pictures)

Old 01-05-2012, 01:07 PM
Sark
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by dchamberlain
And he just digs the hole a little deeper.
I agree that it should have been aired on the Web as we all benefit in some way from the all the info. posted.

As for me I wouldn't buy anything from them just based on their (Fred) posts. He just keeps digging a deeper & deeper hole.

Old 01-05-2012, 01:25 PM
High Binder
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PerformanceMachMFG
If I am coming across as a dick I apologize to the other members of this forum, but attempting to run PMM down and me sit by and take it is not going to happen when

Fred, even when you're right you sometimes just have to bite your tongue especially in here where a huge percentage of your customer base is. There's what, maybe three of four Ford truck forums and I'd bet most of the members here are members elsewhere...

Here's to biting your tongue

Old 01-05-2012, 03:04 PM
loubell
Mountain Pass
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I am going to respectfully disagree with Bismic on this issue. I feel that airing your grievances in a forum are wrong unless you have given the other party a chance to correct the issue. In my opinion, a forum that not only respects the rights of it's members who purchase products/services, but also respects the rights of its members (and businesses) who sell pruducts/services, creates a stronger forum. (I am not a business owner and I don't own any of this company’s products)
<O</O
The post office misplaces my mail, my tomatoes get bagged on the bottom at the grocery store, and the injectors on my 6.0 stick a little when it gets below 20*F. Let's face it, as long as humans are in the process, there will always be mistakes. This includes not only parts manufacturers, but other high stakes professions as well such as physicians. Should we hold them accountable? Absolutely. But let’s give them the opportunity to correct their missteps before we trumpet their shortfalls in a public or private forum.
<O</O
For example, last week I bought a replacement coolant filter from NAPA. I always check my parts before I leave and noticed the threads were stripped. They did not have a second filter to give me, but said they would have a replacement first thing in the morning. But instead of taking pictures of the part and calling NAPAs QC into question on the web, I simply asked for a replacement and was granted one. End of story, no internet posts required.
<O</O
When a person buys something from another individual or a company and there is a problem, shouldn't that individual or company have the opportunity, the right, to correct the problem before they are publicly crucified for a simple misstep? Are we at the point that getting what we want when we want it, perfectly, on time and every time, is more important than a man and his family and livelihood? By posting every single "problem" that we encounter before the offending party has the chance to respond is creating, in my opinion, a kindergarten type atmosphere where everyone tattles on everyone else. I expect more out of this great forum and I would like to see the moderators raise the complaint threshold to "after you have contacted the offending party (at least once) you may post your issue".
<O</O
In the past, I have seen this "complaint" scenario in other enthusiast forums take off to the point to where you could not separate the BS from the legitimate problems. If everyone attempts to work out their problem BEFORE posting, this will be a more useful forum to it's members. It would make this forum even better, further separating itself from the others.
<O</O
As for customer service, "putting up with crap" and "still wearing a smile" are definitely all part of the game. But, in my opinion, this situation has gone well over that line, in this case turning these individuals trying to fix the problem into whipping boys. If you work for Walmart, you gotta take it. If you own your own business, you draw a line in the sand at "whipping boy". Judging from the posts, it looks as if the company has taken care of the OP and is figuring out where in their system that the error(s) is/are occurring. But for some of you, that isn't enough. For some reason, some of you want a major rear kissing. It doesn't look like it's gonna happen. If I was the owner of that company, I would not cross that line in the sand either. <O</O

Old 01-05-2012, 05:14 PM
cinrock
Freshman User
Loubell, you make some very valid points. There is a time and place for everything and your point about using a public forum to try to get a company's attention is spot on.

However, for any company who is providing parts/services, it is paramount that you respond professionally at all times. In any selling situation, you have maybe 2 minutes tops to get someones attention and make a positive first impression. In this case, Fred started down that path by apologizing for the initial customer's satisfaction emphasizing the steps PMM took to resolve it. At that point the discussion should have been over. Just because someone else commented in a way that was perceived as negative should not provoke the emotional responses we heard from PMM. It's business, not personal.

I've spent my entire carreer in the machine tool business working for a major manufacturer of CNC equipment. I can tell you I've had my share of irate customers. The stakes increase a little when dealing with $500k machine tools but the process is still the same. Anyone who sells anything will make a stinker or two. If you deal with it professionally and without emotion, you'll gain respect for your actions.

Old 01-05-2012, 05:17 PM
justinmix
New User
I couldn't agree with loubells post any more. Seems like once someone starts to complain on these threads everyone jumps on the bandwagon, even when they have no personal experience in the matter.

Here's been my experience with PMM so far.

I ordered 4 of the kits when they had the pre-sale special going on. I didn't order them till the last day of the cutoff, which was 11/21/11. I know they were filling the orders in the order they were received, which would put me at the back of the list. After about 2 weeks I didn't receive the filters we called and were told that they were going to ship them out that day. Another week and they still didn't show up. After another call we were told that they were shipped and we should have them soon. Another week went by and still no filter kits. I'm rather active on Powerstroke.org and have seen the guys from PMM on there so I sent Fred a PM about the kits. He was very fast to respond and said he would look into it. Later that day he emailed me back and said he was sending me the kits next day air. Sure enough I had them at 10am the next day.

I know they got back logged with the all the orders and said they probably wouldn't start shipping till the middle of December. I'm a little curious why we were told they were already shipped if they weren't. But the way Fred handled the situation and took care of it left me impressed. I will probably start getting there EGR delete kits as well.

In this modern world of crappy customer service it was refreshing to actually get a hold of someone who not only cared but resolved the situation for me. A+ in my book.

I looked over the 4 kits that I got and was impressed with them. I'm about to install the first one and don't anticipate any issues with it. I did check all the coolant filter housings after seeing this post and all the filters screw on fine.

What really sold me on these kits was the hoses. I like not cutting the original hose and it looks like a nicer install. Plus you couldn't beat the price on them.

If your not happy with the kit send it back. Sinister makes a slightly flashier kit, but they have had there own issues with coolant leaks. And the dieselsite coolant filter kit looks like something you could make from Walmart, and it's still the same price.

I don't think anything Fred said was out of line. Sometimes you just can't please everyone but I think if you give PMM a chance it can get resolved. Every other post I've ever seen about these guys has been positive.

Old 01-05-2012, 05:30 PM
AMB_F-150
Senior User
Just wanted to give a little update on my install. I received the new filter base in the mail yesterday and had a chance to install it after work today. The filter spun onto the base nice and even. Checked everything with the truck running up to operating temperature and had no leaks or any other problems. As you can see from the pictures I drilled a couple holes in the plastic so that I could zip-tie the hose and keep it more secure.

Regardless of everything else that was discussed since my original post I am happy with the system. PMM did a fine job taking care of my issue immediately, no questions asked. I want to make it clear that I did not make the original post with any intention of bashing PMM, or making a huge deal out of the situation. As already mentioned, I did call them immediately after discovering the faulty base and the problem was dealt with then. Later, I posted my situation so that other people would not make the mistake I made (not checking fitment prior to full installation).

Sigh of relief now that I know the coolant is being filtered!

Old 01-05-2012, 05:59 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,453 Likes on 1,700 Posts
Originally Posted by AMB_F-150
Just wanted to give a little update on my install. I received the new filter base in the mail yesterday and had a chance to install it after work today. The filter spun onto the base nice and even. Checked everything with the truck running up to operating temperature and had no leaks or any other problems. As you can see from the pictures I drilled a couple holes in the plastic so that I could zip-tie the hose and keep it more secure.

Regardless of everything else that was discussed since my original post I am happy with the system. PMM did a fine job taking care of my issue immediately, no questions asked. I want to make it clear that I did not make the original post with any intention of bashing PMM, or making a huge deal out of the situation. As already mentioned, I did call them immediately after discovering the faulty base and the problem was dealt with then. Later, I posted my situation so that other people would not make the mistake I made (not checking fitment prior to full installation).

Sigh of relief now that I know the coolant is being filtered!

My point exactly. Post up a problem - get it fixed - supplier shows he is helpful (hopefully) - all is good. If anything, folks get a MORE positive impression than before on the supplier. Everything is an opportunity. You can make it positive or negative in almost every circumstance.

If anyone develops an opinion of a product or a person on one single post or experience, then they will have a tough road in life based on this type of decision making.

I am giving people credit for being able to sort out the good from the bad ........ and the more information the better.

Do you bench a QB on one interception - certainly not. But each completion and interception adds up to stats for proper decision making.

Information is never bad. I stand by my post ........... but then again, I am not easily swayed, one way or the other.

Old 01-05-2012, 06:07 PM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,380 Likes on 2,079 Posts
Looks to me the original posters problem is solved and a business made good on the product. I am however very disappointed in some of the above comments gentlemen.

Old 01-05-2012, 06:52 PM
TheBestKindOfEX
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I get the impression that this thread is at a dead end......nuf said, it's just down to bashing each other.

The original point has been beaten to death, so let's not beat on each other.

Let's move on to solving some other problems of the world and 6.0's.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:01 AM
loubell
Mountain Pass
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
AMB150,
my intention was not to call you out onto the wrestling mat in any way, but to bring up the point in general. After re-reading my post from this morning, I was thinking to myself that it did read that way and for that I appologize.

BTW, I have the Dieselstie kit from 3 years ago and you drilled your plastic to zip tie your hoses exactly the way I did it.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:21 PM
justinmix
New User
Just one final thought on the matter.....

I was just on the another forum and someone had a question about an H & S tuner. Someone from H & S popped on there and posted some stuff. It got me thinking, "man, that's pretty cool that they care enough about their product to take the time to surf the internet and help people with issues".

The thing that made me decide to try the PMM coolant filters was because I've seen both Fred and Matt on the forums trying to help people. I'm sure these guys have better things to do then surf the internet all day. But they care enough about their business and their product to actually get on here and try and resolve issues. Everyone is jumping their case about crappy customer service, but to me it seems like some of the best customer service I've seen.

I could have started a whole post about me not getting my coolant filter kits a month after I ordered them, but I decided to give Fred a PM and see how that turned out first. He was quick to respond and resolve the issue. If he hadn't then I probably would have started a post, and probably a negative one.

These forums are great for getting other peoples opinions on stuff. It's what lead me to PMM in the first place. I just hate to see people jump on a bandwagon and start bashing someplace because of one comment. It's obvious the OP got his issue resolved. I'm sure PMM will resolve the issues with any other coolant filters and make it right.

Anyway, enough of my ramblings. Just wanted to throw my 2 cents out there.

Old 01-08-2012, 11:10 PM
sig40
Senior User
[SIZE=2]Sorry guys, just one more thought. This is NOT a "POKE". I would like an opinion on my theory. If you think it is no big deal, then please post so.
Looks like PMM used a thin stock of Chromoloy and threaded. Maybe they couldn’t find 11/16-16 threaded stock or pre-made nipples. I believe standard threads are 3/4”-16. Wix probably did this so an oil filter couldn’t be used.

I measured the minor diameter at 0.688” and the inside diameter at 0.628”. Keep in mind these measurements are on the plus side exterior and minus side on the inside diameter. Meaning; I did not get the exact inside diameter because of the unfinished ridge at the opening and the minor diameter was measured at a slight angle because of thread angle. The difference between the 2 would be 0.060, divided by 2 leaves an effective wall thickness of less than 0.030. Not much meat to hold the filter. If someone didn’t notice the filter was not screwing on straight and cranked the filter down to tighten it up, or stop it from leaking, do you think that could put enough stress to pop the nipple?

Old 01-09-2012, 01:03 AM
Tennesseepowerstroke
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
That is all jacked up. I have held my responses to this thread so far but will give my experience. I ordered the PPM coolant filter on the last day of the $99 introductory price. I received my credit card statement, paid the bill, and still no filter in several days. I phoned and explained that I do not pay for items that are not available. I was told I was the next one on the list to be shipped, but hold on, Daniel came back and decided I was 2nd on the list and it was going out tomorrow. I waited a week and still no filter kit. I was told it would be shipped today and I would have it tomorrow. Did not happen. I received it 12-23-11. No big deal. The first kit leaked from the heater hose into the filter base. The fitting was so tight, the teflon tape would not stay on the threads going into the base. I called and they overnighted a replacement base, missing one of the ball valve adapters. The first kit was missing instructions, so I went to the PPM website where it said to watch the video instructions but it wasn't there. No problem, I'm easy. I installed the 2nd kit without any leaks or problems.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:02 AM
dukie1877
Elder User

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
holy cow wish I would of stumbled across this post tomorrow I got sucked into it and lost an hour sleep for work tomorrow LOL. Well my opinion is short. It sounds like there are a couple things to work out, but it also sounds like they really really trying to make things right. The install looks great I love the hose setup. I have to say I really like the fact that they seem to care enough about the customers to get the replacement parts out quickly before they get the old unit back, and the fact they offered a $25 credit or filters that was good too. The arguing I could of done without, but there is a fine line when it comes to arguing your point to a customer base without sounding rude or condescending while still trying to make your point especially typing it out and not talking. Everyone reads differently and interprets things different. Happy New Year!!

Old 01-09-2012, 06:39 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,453 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Faulty PMM Coolant Filtration System filter base (w/pictures)