1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

An F-150 Owner's Review of the Ranger

Old 12-30-2011, 09:57 AM
Chug
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An F-150 Owner's Review of the Ranger

I had to get some warranty work done on my 2010 Supercrew and the dealer gave me a loaner. I picked what I thought be would be the worst vehicle thinking I would make me love my truck that much more when I got it back. This was a 2011 Ranger XLT Supercab 4.0. Well, this little bugger grew on me the 3 days I had it.

It's cheap looking, outdated, and rides like crap which endeared it that much more. I represents the last of a breed, the compact truck. It doesn't pretend to be anything else. It's a truck, that's what it is and nothing more.

The 4.0 has plenty of guts. The 5 speed auto shifts quick and firm. The truck squirts through traffic effortlessly. My F-150 4.6 6 speed now feels sluggish mostly due to the throttle delay that plagues these throttle by wire trucks.

Handling is unremarkable, but in a good way. I sure miss having something so nimble. The rear end will step out on bumpy corners and it rides pretty rough. My guess is the Sport trim with the bigger tires and torsion bar front end would be better. Adding some weight to the bed (toolbox, spray liner) would also help.

The interior is what really surpassed me with its comfort. Its pretty spartan, but the seats are comfy and ergonomics are good. It made me realize how overly large my truck is. The door panel is too far away to comfortably rest your arm, but in the Ranger it's right there. The 2 door supercab is nearly useless to me, but I think I could live with a 4 door model.

I came away impressed and surprised how much I liked the truck. My biggest complaints might be addressed by the Sport model 4 door. It has me considering one to replace my truck which is excessive for my need. These things are cheap to buy right now and it would be cool to get one of the last in production.

Old 12-30-2011, 05:36 PM
bratman2
Senior User
Better hurry then! I have a 06 XL with manual. Basic as they come and love it.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:34 PM
TallPaul
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You are absolutely right. I just got a 2001 Ranger XLT short bed, regular cab, 2.3L with a 5 speed and hand crank windows. It's perfect, just how I like my trucks. I drove 4.9L F150s with manual transmissions for 34 years and thouht I would miss my '95, but I don't miss it. This little Ranger is a blast to drive and the 2.3L 4-banger has plenty of power for zipping around town. I can easlily get a nice lurch on the shift if I want to. Better get your ranger soon, they quit making them yesterday, so I heard.

Old 12-31-2011, 08:13 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Your observations are exactly why I bought & still drive my 99 Ranger & have bonded with it.

Too bad Fords upper managment didn't!!!!

Old 12-31-2011, 07:34 PM
Rackster
Senior User
Ranger Pride

I stopped by a nearby Ford dealership. I've purchased several vehicles there in years past, but the dealership looks old and the saleman that approached me, looked worse than the second hand vehicles they had on the lot. Only a handful of Rangers, three of them used vehicles. I decided to look at the F-150s they had there (crew cab). The approaching salesman asked me about my needs. I told him that I need more room now that my youngsters are growing. He pointed me at a $53K F-150. I was shocked. He said that I could order a stripped down version (4 door) for something in the low $30s. I recall that I paid a shade over $12K for my Ranger in 2000. I'm not sure what the 2011 Rangers go for these days, but I suspect a broad gap between it and a 2011 F-150 4 door.

I got back into my 2004 Accord (my newest vehicle) and thought about how Ford is missing the boat. For the last few weeks, I've been looking at a 4/5 passenger Tacoma. The Toyota salesmem are remarking that the Tacoma sales are booming as a result of Ford passing on the domestic Ranger. They can't even keep/find used Tacomas to sell: the cost of used Tacomas has gone up because the supply is short and the direct impact of Ranger owners buying them (it makes better sense to buy new). But the Tacomas are so darned expensive. It really seems to me that Ford is blowing it here - I would remain a loyal customer if they provided Rangers configured as Toyota has done with the Tacoma that are affordable. But I'm no where near buying an F-150. Too big and for me, the styling is lack luster. Too much money - not enough value or features.

Final thought - the salesman was quick to point out that the F-150 out sells the nearest competitor by nearly a full share. My thought: it won't be long before Ford screws this up to. In the end, many tired/worn out dealerships will fold as a result. More lost jobs and deeper depression.

Kevin

Old 12-31-2011, 10:39 PM
bazzman1953
Elder User
My B-4000 x-cab fits in my garage, an F-150 won't, too wide and too tall. I also don't need to carry a stepladder to get things out of the bed. My truck fits me like a glove and goes into places that a full size truck can only dream of going.

Old 12-31-2011, 10:57 PM
19fifty4
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I've got a 98 Ranger and I think Ford is nuts to discontinue the line. They are great little trucks. When my F-150 wears out (currently at 210k) I could see myself buying a new Ranger, but not now.

Old 01-01-2012, 01:46 PM
CMMC
New User
My little ranger is a 94 4 popper and as basic as they come. I love it, it is light on gagets(nothing but the stereo that i installed) and is a remarkable daily driver.

Old 01-01-2012, 07:24 PM
Rory428
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

I ordered my 2010 Ranger in Dec. 09, it`s a pretty basic XL reg cab, 2.3L 4 cyl, with a 5 speed, A/C, Sirius stereo, and cloth seats. Thats it. Vehicles cost more up here in Canada, but still, with Ford rebates, my Ranger was $16,600 before tax. That same truck in the US would probably be under $15,000. In 2 weeks, I will have owned the Ranger 2 years, and I love it. Gas mileage in the mid 20`s in mixed driving, easy to park and get stuff in & out of the bed, not a squeak or rattle. Theres the odd time I wish I had ordered a Super Cab, but not very often. It`s small, but I have my old F350 if I need to haul big stuff.

Old 01-01-2012, 11:04 PM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I love my little Ranger. I would love it more if an ignorant transmission technician hadn't done bad things to the transmission, but I'm slowly nursing the transmission back to health.

I'm a pretty tall guy at 6'2", but I still feel like I fit fine in my Ranger. It did feel a bit strange at first, but I quickly got used to it, and I don't even have the seat all the way back. I've had both a Regular cab Ranger and a Supercab Ranger, and I haven't felt cramped in either of them. In an F150, I feel like I'm in a whale's body. They are just way too big.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:15 AM
NC bubba
New User
I traded a decked out 09 Focus SES for a 03 Ranger FX4 and could not be happier. It just suits me i guess, i was about to go crazy going that long with out 4wd.

The loss in mpg was justified by how much i enjoy having a truck again and now can go anywhere and do anything with.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:57 PM
justforkicks
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know it may sound like I'm disagreeing with you, but I actually prefer a full-size 4x4 than a compact one. I've owned 5 rangers so far, one was a 4x4. My old 87 F-150 4x4 with the 4.9 in it could beat my 96 Ranger with the 2.3 5 speed any day of the week. My Ranger shines on the highway, though (29.4 mpg last trip, can't beat that with an F-150). But, I still miss being able to keep a small set of tools in the cab with me on the tranny hump (can't do it in my Ranger, not enough space) and my F-150 would get 10x the traction with crappy tires than my Ranger ever could, because my F-150 had weight on its side (which made winter driving much easier in the fullsize truck).

Not trying to beat down the Ranger, I've loved every damn one I've owned... I just like my full-size trucks more. If the F-150 was a stick, I probably would've never sold it.

Old 01-02-2012, 08:51 PM
19fifty4
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I've got both. I got the ranger from my dad when he passed and it has been an extra vehicle for us. Everybody drives it because is it so easy to jump into and get to where you need to go. Great on gas, easy to park, etc. etc. I love my F-150 and have no intention of parting with it. It has been the truck I needed for the last 10 years but with 210k it won't last forever. If I were to replace it I would probably get a new extended cab ranger 4x4 most likely with a V6. The 98 I got from my dad is reg cab, 4 cyl, 4x2. A little cramped for what I do everyday but the extended cab would most likely solve that problem. I'll keep the F-150 for the bigger jobs - it just wouldn't be the daily driver anymore. Really disappointed that Ford dropped the Ranger. Some say the styling was dated but I think it still looks like a good truck and lately Ford's styling has been on the prissy side so dated is okay with me. I dont know if Ford will regret their decision but I think after a 3 or 4 year hiatus they will bring back the smaller platform truck with the Ranger nameplate. Just my 2 cents.

Old 01-04-2012, 07:06 PM
LCGRZY
Freshman User
I love my '98 Ranger 4.0L Off-Road 4x4. This thing is probably one of the most optioned out Ranger's from 1998. With its power windows, remote keyless entry, 5 speed manual, 4x4, off road package, cd player, and larger wheels and tires. It came from the dealership that way (according to the window sticker that was carefully preserved by the previous owner). I love the way it drives, pretty quick, but still powerful, I can feel the road underneath unlike almost any other new car. I decided to throw in some new speakers and a better stereo, now its a joy to drive and listen to. My only complaint is that the cabin is really loud. I would love to have it sound proofed, but that ain't cheep. It's too bad Ford decided to cut it, I'd love to import one of the international Rangers, such cool trucks.

Here's a thought, maybe Ford will see the light like they did with the Taurus (kind of like 19fifty4 said). The cut the line and later realized that it had such great name recognition and reputation that it would benefit them to have it back. Now the Taurus is back and better than ever.

I would like to see a Ranger with similar styling to that of the new Explorer, four doors and the Eco-Boost 4 cylinder. That would be an incredible Ranger

Old 01-04-2012, 11:07 PM
Furyus1
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have both a Ranger and an F150 - I have a 60+ mile commute every day and the old green beast was taking too much of my money for gas. OK, yes, a '77 F150 with a slightly modified 400 doesn't get the mileage today's models do, but I digress...

Been loving the Ranger - great little truck to drive around in - the seats don't kill my back like the bench in the beast does - and I've been getting around 18-19 mpg whereas the beast gets ... maybe 8... with a strong tailwind pushing it...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: An F-150 Owner's Review of the Ranger