Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

New to 7.3 Non Turbo Diesels and have a some questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 07:26 PM
oct7brian
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to 7.3 Non Turbo Diesels and have a some questions

Well first off this isn't my first diesel but it is the first one I've done anything to other than oil changes and filter. I have had a 02 F250 PS for several years now but have recently bought a 1992 Super Duty Dump truck and am a little at a lost. First off it has right at 130K on the OD and I paid right at a grand so I dont think I got too bad of a deal. It need a lot of odds and ends... hopefully I'll get everything figured out. First off it didn't want to start cold w/o any starter fluid after that is would fire up just fine the rest of the day. Today I replaced the glow plug relay and all the glow plugs and after cycling them 2-3 times is started up after I gave it a little fuel. Also I have noticed that before and after installed the new relay after the wait to start light goes off the relay clicks three times and the battery light goes on until I start. Is that common for a 7.3 non-turbo? On my 02 it fires up on the fire crank. Also the engine seems noisier than my 02 wasn't sure if that was common with the older model as well. It idles and accelerats smoothly. In the last 3 months it has had a new starter, alternator, batteries and fuel pump installed so I figure I at least got my moneys worth in parts. Thank in advance for any advice I'm pretty lost on diesel motors but am eager to learn.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:48 PM
swimnshoot
Junior User
I'm new to these too. All your symptoms are normal, loud rattle, 3 clicks. Yeah, you did good. These things are worth that in scrap if it has a steel dump bed.

Welcome Aboard !

Old 12-29-2011, 08:06 PM
oct7brian
Senior User
Really??!! Its just a lot different than my 02. Its been driving me nut how much louder it is was wondering if I bought junk. I have been reading up everywhere and have seen a few mentions that bad injectors can make the engine run loud but then again I wouldn't think it would idle as smooth. Also the knock ping pang or whatever you want to call it subsides with accelleration... guess thats normal too

Old 12-29-2011, 09:41 PM
LSO1123
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah, sounds like you got a heck of a deal! The clicking when the WTS light goes out is normal along with the battery light coming on. You shouldn't have to cycle them 2 or 3 times though. Check your fuel return lines that run between each injector, to the fuel filter housing, the injecton pump, and the back of the motor. They will develop leaks when they get some age on them and cause hard starts and, rough idles, white smoke and things like that. It'll cost you about 30 bucks and about an hour to replace the return line kit. Also if it is still running on the factory injectors and injection pump they may be getting tired, especially the injectors. If you do have to replace the injectors, at least you can buy 8 new IDI injectors for the price of one PSD injector! I would also change out the fuel filter just for good measure. Before you put the new one on, fill it up with diesel kleen or sea foam. Start the truck and let it run for a couple of minutes and then shut it off. Let it set over night then start it up and drive it like you stole it, which sounds like you almost did! LOL. I'm in the opposite boat as you, I cut my teeth on IDI's and recently came across a deal on a '00 F350 PSD that was too good to pass up and I'm feeling a little lost on the PSD! There's a ton of IDI gurus here that are more than willing to help. I think you'll find that these old IDI's are so simple that a mildly retarted monkey with a set of tools can work on them

Old 12-29-2011, 09:58 PM
oct7brian
Senior User
As suprising as it may seem the engine is bone dry no leaks or wet spots anywhere but a little valve cover seep. The rubber lines are dry rotted and i was planning on changing them. Can I just use fuel line and stainless clamps? The injectors look original. The glow plugs were champions so i assume they were changed. Whats all intailed in changing the injectors? I assume the metal lines to the injectors are the supply lines from the injection pump. There isn't any abnormal smoke or anything only a little on start up when it pops over. I have plenty of tools but am working my way not being the retarded monkey

Old 12-29-2011, 10:06 PM
84-6.9L
Posting Guru
Get an injector install kit with viton o-rings, those little tee fittings you see have 2 o rings under them that get dry, touching them while doing glow plugs can start them leaking, air will leak in where fuel will not leak out, so just because you dont see fuel doesn't mean they arent leaking. The kit comes with the tee fittings, o-rings, lines and clamps. IIRC type4 sells them and they are very reasonably priced through him.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:15 PM
DragOne
Freshman User
"I have plenty of tools but am working my way not being the retarded monkey "

hahaha, yeh, I am just shy of the retarded monkey on these as well. Congrats on the new ride.

My 7.3l International 4600 came with newer hoses, GP's and relay. I have new ZD9 GP's on the way right now to replace the non motorcraft ones. Hard starts are unreal in its present state. I will have to monitor this thread more and maybe stay away from the Retarded Monkey Syndrome.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:24 PM
oct7brian
Senior User
Originally Posted by 84-6.9L
Get an injector install kit with viton o-rings, those little tee fittings you see have 2 o rings under them that get dry, touching them while doing glow plugs can start them leaking, air will leak in where fuel will not leak out, so just because you dont see fuel doesn't mean they arent leaking. The kit comes with the tee fittings, o-rings, lines and clamps. IIRC type4 sells them and they are very reasonably priced through him.

so your saying do an injector install kit first if that doesnt do it do injectors?

Old 12-29-2011, 10:32 PM
typefour
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have returnkits on hand and so far they are better than the ports store stuff and I supply them with viton orings and new olives for the steel lines
Run some fuel additive thru it, new injectors wont be available till feb/mar. and you dont want remans.

Oh, forget any comparison between this truck and that 02. Cept maybe diesel and tires.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:39 PM
84-6.9L
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by oct7brian
so your saying do an injector install kit first if that doesnt do it do injectors?
When the lines leak the fuel system bleeds back to the tank, this allows air in and can make for hard starting, and alot of rough running and smoking.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:53 PM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Just to throw my two-cents in here. Id get ahold of Russ (typefour) for the return kit, and replace all those hoses. As far as the GP's go, my truck clicked when I had the autolite GP's in, and as soon as I put my Beru's in, the thing hasent clicked once. Check the brand of your GP's for sure, and even though my Autolites were fine when I pulled them, I wouldnt want to chance leaving them in there.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:20 PM
oct7brian
Senior User
Originally Posted by RacinNdrummin
Just to throw my two-cents in here. Id get ahold of Russ (typefour) for the return kit, and replace all those hoses. As far as the GP's go, my truck clicked when I had the autolite GP's in, and as soon as I put my Beru's in, the thing hasent clicked once. Check the brand of your GP's for sure, and even though my Autolites were fine when I pulled them, I wouldnt want to chance leaving them in there.
I put Champion brand GPs in

Old 12-30-2011, 12:08 AM
84-6.9L
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by oct7brian
I put Champion brand GPs in
Do yourself and your motor a favor and get some beru ZD9 plugs. when your chamions burnout they will swell and get stuck in the head.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:00 AM
IDI guy
Elder User
I agree best thing you can do with hard starts is new glow plugs, check your GP control unit and make sure it its sending the correct amperage, replace all "o" rings and fittings past the fuel filter ensure you have no air leaks, if it is cold where you live install a block heater and what ever your do not use starting fluid once you install new glow plugs it will mess up a set of $70 glow plugs fast. If you still can't start it use a rag soaked with gasoline over the air intake, works like a charm.

Old 12-30-2011, 07:16 PM
casper tim
New User
lost

i have a 1988 ford f 350 1 ton ive made in to a pulling truck have pulled 3 time and does okay - note- wife pulls to and won frame got bent replaced it did a few up grades i put in a 12 inch button clutch try to get more out of engine rpms it a 7.3 idi none turbo more horse power
any help would be great

Quick Reply: New to 7.3 Non Turbo Diesels and have a some questions