A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Ahh ok. No worries!

Old 01-08-2012, 09:02 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Great stuff! Can't wait to get my parts as well.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:35 PM
archtaan
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow! Nice progress. What a maze of wires!

Old 01-08-2012, 11:00 PM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Damn you didnt waste anytime tearing into this project. I'll be watching this whole build. Great job so far.

Old 01-08-2012, 11:00 PM
Sunline Fan
Excursion Fleet Manager
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No significant work today. I went out and put a couple hours in pulling parts for people who have requested them.

I attempted to remove the one stuck and now stripped bolt holding the last cargo hook in. It came loose for about a half turn, but that's it. I tried to cut a slot in the head of the bolt with a hack saw so I could use a screwdriver, but it didn't work that well. You know, those cargo hooks are kinda recessed, at least I think there's just no padding there and there are in others, so it was tough to get the saw in and do much.

Not sure what I'm going to do to get that out...

Old 01-09-2012, 11:43 PM
Sunline Fan
Excursion Fleet Manager
I was gone quite a bit of the day today, but I got a little work in this evening. My dad came to help me get that one stuck cargo hook bolt out. And now it's out!

Basically, we got that out, then I started to pull interior stuff out of the back. Floor bolts for the seat belts are locked in and I'll have to cut the brackets in order to get the belts out. Got most of the middle seat bolts out too. My dad worked on taking the engine harness out, which was a pretty big ordeal, but I think we both feel better about it now, knowing where it goes and what all it involves.

We also started tearing down the cooling system. We analyzed both the 7.3 and the V10 systems and everything looks to be exactly the same with the exception of one hose that connects to the A/C compressor. The hose probably has the same connections, but the A/C compressor on the 7.3 is on top and the V10's is on the bottom, so the V10 hose is much longer. It was possible to just pull that one needed hose though, so it should be good.

Also, the brake master cylinders and reservoir tanks seem to be identical, but behind that, they are very different. The 7.3 has a smaller, simpler system with some type of I assume vacuum parts, and the V10 has this big canister thing behind it. Sorry for such technical terms... This will be fun because the dash has to be stripped in order to get to those mounting nuts.

For those who are curious, the whole harness includes everything down to the headlight plugs.

On a side note, does anyone know what the black metal box mounted on the outside of the left inner fender is? The big harness is connected (bolted) to it. I mean, it doesn't seem like it would stand a chance there in a side impact accident, but it has stickers all over it about high voltage for the red striped harness, which the harness going across the cowl is red striped compared to all black for the V10.

I know we'll have to move it over, but I'm curious what it is and if we'll encounter a similar one in the V10.

Here's a couple pictures after today's progress:

Thinking this is the code for the door buttons?

Jon

Old 01-10-2012, 02:11 AM
66Broncoguy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The high voltage box is the IDM (Injector Driver Module) for the HEUI injectors. It steps up the voltage to run the solenoids on the fuel injectors.

So at this point do you think the engine harness is all that is necessary to transplant the diesel? I'm still curious as to how much wiring transfer is truly needed to perform this swap.

Old 01-10-2012, 02:16 AM
Sunline Fan
Excursion Fleet Manager
Originally Posted by 66Broncoguy
The high voltage box is the IDM (Injector Driver Module) for the HEUI injectors. It steps up the voltage to run the solenoids on the fuel injectors.

So at this point do you think the engine harness is all that is necessary to transplant the diesel? I'm still curious as to how much wiring transfer is truly needed to perform this swap.
Thanks for the info! I was thinking it dealt with something diesel.

Until we pull a V10 fuse box, it'll be hard to tell what's common.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:51 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
The diesel brake booster is powered by the power steering pump, the V10 booster is vacuum powered. (The thing behind the master cylinder)

Old 01-10-2012, 11:08 AM
nvsteele
New User
Fun and amazing to watch. This is my subscription.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:29 PM
Rosson03
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sunline Fan
I forgot to mention, the best part of the day. When I was sitting in there listening to it warm up:

And with 3/4 of a tank of fuel:

This makes me very excited!

do they really get that much. i think i have the wrong engine!!!!

Old 01-10-2012, 07:41 PM
ScottyDsntKnow
Elder User
My father can get 18mpg on the highway in his 7.3L super duty and that is with 4.10 gears so with lower gears and a light foot it could be possible. Remember though, those things are called lie-o-meters for a reason.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:58 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottyDsntKnow
My father can get 18mpg on the highway in his 7.3L super duty and that is with 4.10 gears so with lower gears and a light foot it could be possible. Remember though, those things are called lie-o-meters for a reason.
They're actually very accurate. Just high. Take off 2MPG and you have a very accurate reading.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:36 PM
jwronski
Senior User
Originally Posted by A/Ox4
Could you get a pic of those seat frames? The more the better!
I have been quite busy the last several days so I have not been able to get on here to post my visit to Sunline Fan to see the project and pick up some parts. It was cool to see the project. I admire the size and complication of such a project. Makes mine seem very small in comparison. Oh well, on to my knuckle busting.

I found out (which maybe some of you already know) that Ford changed the wiring connections to the driver's seat between 2000 and 2002. The 2002 had 2 square type connections to the frame compared to my roundish plug in 2000. If someone likes I can take a picture of the 2002 frame and compare it to the 2000 frame. Luckily for me, all the seat functions transferred to the old frame but I needed to transfer the wiring that was attached to the seat functions to the frame. Not too bad once I relaxed and started to slowly look and see what was needed to be done. Slightly pissed at not being able to just unbolt and plug in and go. Now the passenger seat had the same plug for both years but the 2000 wiring must not have had the necessary connections inside as the heat worked but the power functions would not. I did not know if Sunline Fan would need the wiring harness later for his transplant but if not, I am hoping that if I can follow the wiring to the main harness and find the proper connection to install the power passenger seat in my Ex.

Old 01-11-2012, 11:07 PM
Sunline Fan
Excursion Fleet Manager
Here's a small update from today. Not much worthy of photographing.

I first started by pulling the remaining bolts for the 2nd row seats. I had no idea the middle seat belt clips in the center of the 60 part of the bench were completely free of the bench.

Then, I hauled the single seat part into the house to get it out of the way. After pulling that seat, like usual, there was glass still everywhere under the seat brackets. So I got out the vacuum and cleaned up all of the carpet in the whole front half.

Then I removed the double seat part and hauled it out too. Then I cleaned up the rest of the glass and put some parts away in the back. That was it for working on the truck today.

A few pics:

From doing that, I found a couple french fries, two quarters, and a few candy wrappers...

After that, I worked on moving the few parts I had to store outside and got them in. Whatever I need to do with them, I'd rather dig in the garage than through built up snow.

This will probably be the last update for a while. I go back to school on Monday, so that'll ruin productivity for a while. Since it's supposed to rain/snow over the next couple days, I don't want to take the clean Ex out, and I have a huge backlog of parts here at home that I need to get boxed up, weighed, and shipping estimated so they can get sent out. I've got a ton of boxes to make up since a lot of the parts are odd/large sizes.

For those who are curious, my grandpa worked on still cleaning and re-assembling the PSD. He put all the turbo parts back on after cleaning them. I caught him cleaning the foil pipes too, and I told him that they wouldn't be going on like that again (the foil looks awful in the current state), but that didn't stop him. Then, he cleaned up more little brackets and stuff. I saw him working on the little bracket that holds the front engine cover on, which got bent when pulling the engine out. He straightened it and then brought it over to paint it. He sprayed it kinda in the trash can and walked away, but it looked a little weird to me when I saw him walking away since a little sun coming in shined on it. I look at the can of Rustoleum, it's a very dark gloss Charleston Green, not gloss black. Not an approved IH/Navistar color as far as I know, but it will be now! He has been using high temp black and silver for most things, but didn't for these little parts. He had no idea it was green and not black...

Jon

Quick Reply: 7.3 PSD Swap Project into 2005 V10 Excursion