Place to gripe, or possible networking oportunity

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 08:22 AM
PA-Mark
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Place to gripe, or possible networking oportunity

***Disclaimer***
Feel free to tell me to quit complaining at any time, and no need to be nice, I have thick skin...
I need a place to vent, or some possible advise on how to make this better.
Background on me, Twenty year mil vet doing fleet maintenance for the Army. Currently Diesel class B third shift Maintenance tech.

So i work for a regional LTL trucking company, I wont mention the name because I dont know who knows who around here, and no sence on making things worse for myself, but if you want to do your own research, its the one with the best reputation around here and the north east based in PA.

So I have been working for this "new to me" shop comming up on 90 days now. I have had newmerous counselings with my immedieate super about the aknoledged problems in the shop. These guys move like molasis, put hours on a job while doing nothing.Things do get repaired, but very slowly im some cases. I dont realy care about this, I say to each his own and if they get away with it, and the company is happy then its not my problem.
But here is where it affects me, my shift coworkers are starting to give me a hard time because they think im trying to make them look bad, what they dont understand is this is the only way I know how to work. I have gone to the Maintenance Manager for my terminal, the regional maint manager, and a high level company manager. Nobody seems interested in improving conditions, or even hearing what i have to say.

Is this the way the CIV workforce is? This is my first non military job since I was 18, and I cant believe in this economy triming the fat is not number one priority. We are payed hourly, and I heard The other system of paying per job can be bad at times when work is slow.

So to the other question, does anybody have an "In" for the dream job at a great shop for a mechanic. Conditional of course, if I measure up, im not asking for a hand out.

If no great networking oportunities exsist how about some advise on how to deal with this. Possibly some constructive ways to talk to managers and get them to take action. The company CEO has a direct line for anyone who wants to share complaints that they dont think will get action in any other way, but I cant see using this route can be good.

Now for the deets on the job, and keep in mind, I know i am lucky to even have a job, but being happy is also important to me:
$20 bucks per hour
401k plan
Med/dental plan
normal 40 hrs per week with overtime being payed only after 45 hrs

Thanks for listening, and remember feel free to tell me to shut up if I need to, "cause I have it good"

Old 01-09-2012, 05:44 PM
PA-Mark
Posting Guru

WOW tuff room, I expected a "shut up and quit complaining" at a mininum.... But complete cold shoulder... Impressive

Old 01-09-2012, 06:22 PM
Oldtrucknut7077
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can understand your frustration Mark. I've been driving for 24 years now and I swear, the things I've seen and dealt with are maddening.

It seems like most people don't want to have any pride in their work nor care much about it. Its going to be difficult for them to step up to the plate and perform with care. Hang in there and don't let them get you down.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:30 PM
tewferford
Post Fiend
Mark, a few years back when I worked for a school dist, I encountered the same as to what you are saying. At first it really bothered me, like you, I was considered a brown nose. It got to the point that I also started looking for another job.
Then one day it hit me. Why in the heck should I give up a good job because of a few deadbeats. After that epiphany I went about my job they way I was brought up. "Do it right, or don't do it at all." While it didn't happen overnight, many of those deadbeats left, or were dismissed. I by the way moved up the ranks, and was highly sought after for many a building in that district.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:48 PM
PA-Mark
Posting Guru

Thanks guys, I think this is what I needed to hear... Just the last week I have been mulling around the idea of searching for another job.

Anybody here a mid-high level manager that can give me some advise that can constructively get thier attention. Not the hey look at me attention, but the you have problems here attention.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:51 PM
PA-Mark
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by Oldtrucknut7077
I can understand your frustration Mark. I've been driving for 24 years now and I swear, the things I've seen and dealt with are maddening.

It seems like most people don't want to have any pride in their work nor care much about it. Its going to be difficult for them to step up to the plate and perform with care. Hang in there and don't let them get you down.
Yes I see that too...

Old 01-09-2012, 09:11 PM
SasquatchZilla
Laughing Gas
I haven't experienced that in the civi world. I did when I was working for the army. Frustrated me to no end.

Were you a 63bravo? X mil gets preferential hiring in both federal and some local govt jobs. You could try DOT in the motor pool or for similar maintenance positions. Also try federal.

If you don't mind being reserves they're always looking for mechs of all kinds. You keep your rank too if you haven't been out to long.

Also if you don't mind and think you can work on Forklifts, especially electrics our industry is suffering for decent techs. Depends on the area, but most the time a shop or two is looking to replace or add a good tech. Try Raymond just a little south of you. I know there's a raymond dealer in those parts. A good dealer would pick you up in a sec and train you.

Don't put up with that crap, but if there's no other options because of this economy I'd tough it out for a year or so till things start going upwards. The unemployment numbers are going to bad the next month or so when the seasonal hiring layoffs hit.

Or if you like the weather, it looks like the multitude of pan handlers really make out good here. Plenty of bleeding hearts out here throwing money at so called "people of need" Pfft! People in need of more meth and alcohol. I've got a new truck and a couple of bikes to support and I don't see anyone throwing money at me!

Old 01-10-2012, 05:47 PM
PA-Mark
Posting Guru

Im done with the military, im proud of my service, and a proud vet, but have no interest in being associated with them in the future. I started as a 63E, M1A1 MBT hull mechanic. they ended up combining hull/turret and changed the numbers around. I will research the other place you mentioned, and I was already thinking of keeping this for atleast a year, since its my first job after the mil, I kinda want to show some stability to the next employer. I am comfortable with electricity, UGGGG that idiot Aaron, if he only knew the schematic training I have had.
oh ya i drive 40 miles to york, pa for work every day so traveling isnt that big of a deal

Old 01-10-2012, 08:15 PM
SasquatchZilla
Laughing Gas
Oh, good old York. LOL! Spent a few school years running around that town. I lived a ways away from the Vo tech school there down in the country. There's a Harley plant there. Lots of food distribution centers. Don't know if that raymond place is still there. It was a few exits before York, but that was nearly 20yrs ago. Raymonds still going strong and are widely used in food warehouses. And they just got bought out by Toyota and going strong. Not trying to push you towards Raymonds (new a few kids dads who worked for them) there's also toyota, hyster, yale, (clarks out of business and they're **** too) mistsubishi and crown. I'd stay away from independent dealers. Just my personal opinion in dealing with independent dealers not being the friendliest places to work.

Yeah, once is sometimes enough with the military. It seems every state I go to they're looking for mechs. It's tempting, but like you I'm tired of deal'n with'em. If I hear PMCS or FMC one more time I'm going to puke.

Yeah a lot of people out their a*ses. I hear it a lot. Especially from in laws! When I was younger I'd stand up and call BS, but being older and wishing to not waist time on people anymore I just nod my head say "yep, yep" and move on. I figure if it's safety related natural selection will take care of it.

40 miles isn't a bad commute (except sometimes in those PA winters). I do a little under that to the city south of me for work (wish they'd give me the territory near the house). We have a toyota echo for long work commutes, although I have a work van I drive during the week for my job and I drive that home every night. If you work on lifts in the field most likely they'll let you take the van home.

Hang in there man. The civi world's hard to deal with sometimes.

Old 01-26-2012, 05:50 PM
MexicanScaper987
Postmaster
I understand what your talking about Mark and it seems to be all to common. When I was working during high school and after graduating, I ran into the same problem for both a small engine shop and towing company I worked for. Half the other drivers would hide behind buildings while myself and a few other drivers would have to run all the calls.
Pay was good but it still sucks when you have to do the work of 3-5 people.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:22 PM
PA-Mark
Posting Guru

thanks Joe.... Update! seems all of our collective bitching has gained the attention of management we have alot of activity in the shop now. they called in a company troubleshooter... things are looking up

Old 01-26-2012, 08:07 PM
SasquatchZilla
Laughing Gas
Awesome!

Glad things are looking up. It makes life miserable if your job's miserable.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:04 AM
PA-Mark
Posting Guru

yep like i said... i was close to start looking for another job, which would have been sad cause its a great company with good values