6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Factory nav have video out?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 09:59 PM
Andrew010
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Factory nav have video out?

I'm wanting to put headrest monitors in my truck for the kiddos to watch dvds n such. I was hoping to use the factory nav/dvd to play the dvds like my wife's suv does.

Any chance I'll be able to accomplish this?

If not, anyone know of a kit that can? I want to have 2 monitors play the same a/v source and have wireless headphones.

I'm guessing I'll have to use an aftermarket kit.....

Thanks again guys!

Old 12-26-2011, 11:03 PM
Shepardsonp
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you thought about buying them each an iPod Touch (or similar device)?? Much more versatile, portable, cost effective all the way around. Kids can't scratch iTunes movies like they can DVD's either. DVD's are about to go the way of the 8-Track soon.

We just drove from Colorado to Minnesota (955 miles in 13:20). Kids were on the iPod Touch's and Nintendo DS's all they. DVDless is the way to go IMO. You can also get a Verizon Wireless 4G MiFi and the whole "FamDamily" can be surfing the web over I-80 and through the woods to Grama's house they go!!

Old 12-26-2011, 11:05 PM
Shepardsonp
Tuned
Oh... And nobody is pissed that the other one got to watch the movie they want to watch because you only have one 8-track player! LOL!!

Old 12-27-2011, 05:44 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I will second this. With Netflix and other video on demand options, I would spend the money on iPad and connectivity.

Old 12-27-2011, 05:44 AM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew010
I'm wanting to put headrest monitors in my truck for the kiddos to watch dvds n such. I was hoping to use the factory nav/dvd to play the dvds like my wife's suv does.

Any chance I'll be able to accomplish this?

If not, anyone know of a kit that can? I want to have 2 monitors play the same a/v source and have wireless headphones.

I'm guessing I'll have to use an aftermarket kit.....

Thanks again guys!
I was on the same mission when I got my truck, no video out on the factory nav units and didn't see a way to tap into a video output of any sort. I attached a wiring diagram for the '11 radios (nav included) if you want to check it out. Plus I believe there's no intergration between the factory head unit and factory dvd headrests but someone with them can confirm that.

I ended up buying 2 refurb iPads for the kids for less than half the cost of the factory headrest dvd players. Works out good too, fire up the hotspot on my phone and kids can tether off of that (netflix, internet, etc).

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Audio System-Navigation.pdf (532.0 KB, 202 views)
Old 12-27-2011, 08:22 AM
Andrew010
Posting Guru
Thanks for the replies guys. Both kids already have Ipad 2s and the Ipod touch. They got the Ipod touch first but the screen is small and didn't work well for movies so we got them the Ipad 2. Works great but I still think it's nice to have the built in screen. That way no one has to hold anything, no worries about dead batteries, etc.

Another thing, the built in headrest dvd is alot less likely to get stolen then a $800 Ipad 2 that's just setting on the seat.

Old 12-27-2011, 10:04 AM
marchare011
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the factory head rest DVD screens. You can watch the same movie on both screens or watch different movies on each screen. They are wireless headphones, so the dead battery issue could come into play. My grandkids like them a lot. They are limited as to how far you can tilt them down so the grandson has to stretch his neck a little to see the screen unless grandma tilts her seat back a little.

As far as I know you cannot watch a video from the Nav screen player thru the headrest players. The only way to watch a video on the Nav screen is if you are parked or if you buy a device called FORD LOCKPICS.

The factory headrests are pretty darned $$$$$. I used them as a bartering tool when I bought my truck. You know, "either you throw them in or i ain't buying this piece of crap!" He came down 1/2 price so I bought 'em. The stuff you do for your kids/grandkids these days.

I'm sure there is some better aftermarket players out there. I just didn't want to spend the extra time searching around. Mine don't get used much anyway. Hope you find something to your liking.

Old 12-27-2011, 10:13 AM
my996duc1
Elder User
A buddy runs these headrest DVD players in his truck : Car Headrest DVD Player and Video Monitors

They are very affordable (depending on which model you choose) and my buddy has been running them for over a year with zero issues.

Bad part is they only have a few colors available. They will send a free color sample out to you, but on mine the grey didn't match so I didn't buy them. I keep hoping they will get more colors available but no luck yet.

_

Old 12-27-2011, 08:40 PM
Monorail_Red
Junior User
Maybe try 2 of these: Amazon.com: Snugg iPad 2 Car Headrest Mount Holder - Combines with Snugg iPad 2 Leather Case: Electronics

Good for movies and easily removable to stow away out of sight when nobody is in the truck.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:26 PM
6.7L
Cross-Country
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
We have these in the wife's car, these are solid and the screen won't bounce around like the soft strap type we used to have.

Old 12-28-2011, 11:24 AM
Andrew010
Posting Guru
Thanks for the response guys. Sounds like it's going to be aftermarket then.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:47 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question GREAT topic and thread

Originally Posted by marchare011
I have the factory head rest DVD screens. You can watch the same movie on both screens or watch different movies on each screen. They are wireless headphones, so the dead battery issue could come into play. My grandkids like them a lot. They are limited as to how far you can tilt them down so the grandson has to stretch his neck a little to see the screen unless grandma tilts her seat back a little.

As far as I know you cannot watch a video from the Nav screen player thru the headrest players. The only way to watch a video on the Nav screen is if you are parked or if you buy a device called FORD LOCKPICS.

The factory headrests are pretty darned $$$$$. I used them as a bartering tool when I bought my truck. You know, "either you throw them in or i ain't buying this piece of crap!" He came down 1/2 price so I bought 'em. The stuff you do for your kids/grandkids these days.

I'm sure there is some better aftermarket players out there. I just didn't want to spend the extra time searching around. Mine don't get used much anyway. Hope you find something to your liking.

marchare011 --

Quick question: But can you hear the DVD disc spinning while the kids are watching a movie?

That is a fear I have...if I go with the factory headrest setup...

biz

Old 05-11-2012, 10:13 AM
los341
Senior User

Originally Posted by biz4two
marchare011 --

Quick question: But can you hear the DVD disc spinning while the kids are watching a movie?

biz
I have the Ford-installed DVD headrests in my truck. No way you could hear the DVD player noises unless it is VERY quiet.

Carl

Old 05-11-2012, 10:17 AM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 7,024 Likes on 2,203 Posts
I couldn't hear it in my last truck. They are silent optical drives.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:35 PM
marchare011
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by biz4two
marchare011 --

biz

Sorry for the long delay in replying, I've been spraying weeds for the last two days!

I have never heard the disc noise.

Quick Reply: Factory nav have video out?