1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 Torque Shift 3-4 bump slide advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 12:01 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
I do, too. My next SWAG is a problem with the direct clutch solenoid. It could be sticky or have some contamination in it. There is no way to fix a solenoid, it just has to be replaced. If that isn't it there is a problem inside the direct clutch itself.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:54 PM
droldsmorland
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Mark,
Is the direct clutch solenoid one if the solenoids hanging off the bottom of valve body? If so can you point me to the exact one and how to ID it? Or is there a site which provides an exploded view with part numbers etc... I have a TransStar near-by where I buy my trans parts. As you know they probably have 3 different revisions and I will inevitably get the wrong one at least twice. I’ve learned to just purchase all of them and take back the unused parts...older, wiser, but not all grown up yet...
Thanks for your time, knowlwdge and the willingness to share it!
Steve

Old 02-23-2012, 04:04 PM
droldsmorland
Posting Guru
Mark,
I called TransStar. Is this considered the Direct/Coast Solenoid?
Part number they gave me is D16421, $72, Direct/Coast Sol.
Any forced relearning on my part after I do the install?

tx for your time!

Steve

Old 09-28-2012, 09:07 AM
droldsmorland
Posting Guru
These Qs are for Mark Kovalsky and anyone else who has the same problem with this “HD” trans.
Update... I’ve exhausted all my attempts to get a good shifting trans. It needs to come apart. The 3-5 shift is horrible and getting worse. It’s a distinct bump-slide-thud shift. It doesn’t do it all the time but most , and more so at op. temp. There is also a distinct metal to metal tap/tick on the 2-3 up shift which Mark K says is inherent with this trans on the gas engine due to excessive lash in the intermediate one way clutch engagement event. I love the truck I can’t say the same for this HD trans (no offence Mark). One would think it would be a tad more robust than this, especially with 50K miles! I did the fluid filter change twice. I performed the relearn Mark suggested twice. I installed a new improved direct clutch solenoid etc…
When I get on the throttle from a stop and allow for the first or second upshift event then let off the gas fast say when approaching a stop light it doesn’t know what to do with the throttle change and hesitates then slams into the next gear. I think I feel a slight bind or hesitation before it hits that next gear. WOW! Nice.

Questions (now that I'm house shopping) and really can’t afford a major bill at the moment….
1. Has anyone had these problems and had the trans rebuilt?
2. Did it fix these trouble spots?
2. Has Ford updated their parts bin to eliminate these problems? TSBs?
4. Has anyone had any help from Ford?
5. Most importantly, what did it cost for a rebuild (Mark can you give a ballpark estimates for a rebuild to fix these issues?).

When approaching the trans shop what specifics should I ask for to resolve these specific issues I'm experiencing with this trans. I don’t want to do it twice. I don’t want to go to a dealer.

Lastly....Mark I installed the new improved solenoid from Holder Down Performance in the Direct clutch port. The middle solenoid in the front of the valve body. Would it be better in another port to improve the bump slide?

Old 09-28-2012, 06:27 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by droldsmorland
There is also a distinct metal to metal tap/tick on the 2-3 up shift which Mark K says is inherent with this trans on the gas engine due to excessive lash in the intermediate one way clutch engagement event.
No, it's inherent in the diesel version. The gas versions get a low lash one way clutch that eliminates the noise on the 2-3 shift.

2. Has Ford updated their parts bin to eliminate these problems? TSBs?
There is something wrong with your transmission. What should Ford update?

5. Most importantly, what did it cost for a rebuild (Mark can you give a ballpark estimates for a rebuild to fix these issues?).
Expect it to cost around $3,000.

When approaching the trans shop what specifics should I ask for to resolve these specific issues I'm experiencing with this trans.
You should tell them what it is doing. Telling them how to fix it is only going to frustrate you and them, and probably won't fix the issue.

Lastly....Mark I installed the new improved solenoid from Holder Down Performance in the Direct clutch port. The middle solenoid in the front of the valve body. Would it be better in another port to improve the bump slide?
I don't know anything about that solenoid, nor what it would do if you installed it in the wrong place.

Old 09-28-2012, 08:35 PM
droldsmorland
Posting Guru
[quote]No, it's inherent in the diesel version. The gas versions get a low lash one way clutch that eliminates the noise on the 2-3 shift.

Ok but this is a 5.4 exhibiting the same problem. It sounds like someone taking a good swing with a ballpeen taping on the trans case upon upshift

[quote]There is something wrong with your transmission. What should Ford update?

From my experience normally when a problem reoccurs throughout a line the manufacture will at minimum suggest repairs through TSBs or an up dated design to address the short coming of a part or assembly. I don’t think I’m alone experiencing these problems. Do you know of any TSBs or product updates for these issues? Basically I’m asking what’s the fix for the two issues?

[quote]Expect it to cost around $3,000.

Ill most likely remove and reinstall it so hopefully it will be less. Id prefer someone who is familiar with torqshifts that plays with them all day to make it right vs me experimenting. Not to mention a warranty. I’m familiar with old school automatics, I could attempt it but I only want it out and in once. I don’t have the time or facility at the moment.

[quote]You should tell them what it is doing. Telling them how to fix it is only going to frustrate you and them, and probably won't fix the issue.

Agreed the worst thing is the proverbial "arm chair mechanic" So Ill shut up and let the experts do their thing I just like to have back ground knowledge Im curious being an engineer

[quote]I don't know anything about that solenoid, nor what it would do if you installed it in the wrong place

Doing some homework before purchasing it has a larger coil, plunger and passages. They tout it as quicker acting with increased flow as well as pressure. I can feel it. It does provide a quick firmer shift but I fear it’s a Band-Aid and things just aren’t right.

Mark,
Thank you for the time you take responding it’s a great help to us all.
Steve

Old 09-28-2012, 09:13 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

[QUOTE=droldsmorland;12319196]
No, it's inherent in the diesel version. The gas versions get a low lash one way clutch that eliminates the noise on the 2-3 shift.

Ok but this is a 5.4 exhibiting the same problem. It sounds like someone taking a good swing with a ballpeen taping on the trans case upon upshift
It's possible that the factory built it with the wrong one way clutch. Either one fits. I haven't seen a gas trans that exhibits this, and I haven't seen a diesel trans that doesn't exhibit this.

Old 09-29-2012, 09:12 AM
droldsmorland
Posting Guru
So no TSBs or updates. Can you briefly describe what I need to look at once torn down to remdedy the 2-3 tap and 3-5 slip? Or direct me to where I can source this info. Pictures are nice. I have access to a good shop who may let me lose to do it on my own lift and all.

Old 09-29-2012, 05:46 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

To update the 2-3 you need a gas engine version of the intermediate one way clutch. To fix the 3-5 slip you need to determine what's wrong and fix that. Without seeing the hardware I don't know.