6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Battery Cable Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 01:08 PM
akblackfoot
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Battery Cable Upgrade

So following the post on the battery cable upgrade, I'm hoping I'm correct in getting the following:

2' 1/0 Tinned Marine Battery Cable with 5/16" and 3/8" Post Lug to connected frame rail mounting negative cable to engine block

70" 1/0 Tinned Marine Cable with 1/4" post lugs both ends to run parallel between positive battery posts

Is it best to remove the wheel well liner to get to the frame mounted negative cable? Is it held on by a bolt that I can reuse to attach both cables?

Lastly, will this be adequate for the 200 amp alternator or are there other upgrades that should be done to accommodate the higher output?

Old 12-27-2016, 01:33 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,074 Likes on 1,404 Posts
You can go up to 1/0 cable battery to battery, that's sized for cold weather, but a 2ga would be fine for lower demanding temps. Your call. End are right that worked in my truck.

The service manual shows access to those bolted frame locations through the fender liners. I've never gotten along with the fender liners very well and I don't have a stator on my motor so going in from the top for me was preferable. But as said, the manual has you go through the fender liners. The bolts are self threading and reusable. If you strip out the self made threads in the frame, a new hole can be drilled and the bolt reused.

Old 12-27-2016, 01:42 PM
akblackfoot
Elder User
Thank You. I'm in Alaska so will go with the heavier cable. What all do you need to remove to access the frame rail mount from above?

Old 12-27-2016, 02:06 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Good choice!

I was taking pictures so I needed full access. Drivers side was air cleaner, battery, battery tray, and CAC tube. You might be able to get to it with just the air cleaner out.

Pass side was battery, battery tray and CAC tube. The cable connection for the pass negative cable to block was done from under the truck.

Old 12-27-2016, 02:47 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 410 Likes on 272 Posts
The one cable you are missing is a second (parallel) fused cable from your high output alternator to the passenger battery pos clamp. Jack (and others) are running 230A alts so he should be able to tell you the gauge and fuse size to use...

Thanks for bringing up the fender liner as I had given up on putting the ground to block down there due to access -- I can barely see the batt - frame ground! I'll take a second look at that now...

Old 12-27-2016, 02:56 PM
akblackfoot
Elder User
Originally Posted by diesel_dan
The one cable you are missing is a second (parallel) fused cable from your high output alternator to the passenger battery pos clamp. Jack (and others) are running 230A alts so he should be able to tell you the gauge and fuse size to use...
Is that required with a 200 amp alternator? Would I need to run another ground also?

Old 12-27-2016, 03:25 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Scott,

I'm glad you pointed out he asked that, my mind is elsewhere.

People have squeaked by up to a 185a alternator with just the factory alternator wiring, but at full output it's pushing the envelope. You want to upsize with a parallel cable just to make sure there is no excessive voltage drop as well as if your running long term with other accessories like a snow plow, winch, etc.

My output is a little higher then yours and I'm a little excessive on the cable, but there are times when I disconnect the factory cable at the alternator for current measurements utilizing the 4ga for everything.

The factory cable is a 6ga interrupted by twin 12 ga fusible links. My parallel cable right now is a 4 ga 30" long, terminating on a Blue Sea fuse block, which typically runs a 100a fuse. you can go as short as a 24" cable, but I have mine longer to drop into a loop for movement.

With routing you just don't want to run on the glow plug module mounting screw, so I go behind the oil filler tube. I don't have convoluted protection tubing on mine right now as I keep moving cables, but you should.

Old 12-27-2016, 03:44 PM
Dr.Huxtable
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No additional ground needed for the alternator. Just run an additional power wire from the new alternator to the battery. Make sure you include a fuse in line as well. The stock wire coming off the alternator stays in place you will just need to drill out the eyelet to 5/16"

I went with a 2ft 2awg with 5/16" on both ends and these two:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Credit for this goes all to Jack (TooManyToys)

Old 12-27-2016, 03:48 PM
akblackfoot
Elder User
OK, I'm an electrical idiot. Please explain the fuse block and where it goes from there? Do you have another short cable running from the fuse block to the battery terminal? No need for another ground cable?

Old 12-27-2016, 04:04 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

No need for another ground cable at the alternator.

Any connection to the alternator positive stud needs fused protection. Factory uses fusible links, pita for the average person to install, so we use fuses.

What Dr. H linked to are the easiest ones to install, are Coast Guard approved so they work well in a vehicle. This block version bolts to the battery terminal where the other cable for the alternator and glow plugs connect. Depending on your layering, you may need to add a washer or two as the blocks mounting hole comes large. I've got other power connections located there too, so the extra wires.

Old 12-27-2016, 04:07 PM
akblackfoot
Elder User
Originally Posted by Dr.Huxtable
The stock wire coming off the alternator stays in place you will just need to drill out the eyelet to 5/16"

I went with a 2ft 2awg with 5/16" on both ends and these two:
What eyelet did you have to drill out to 5/16"? If I am getting this correct now, a 24"-30" 2-4 gauge wire with 5/16" on both end connected to the fuse block which is connected to the battery? My alternator has the same size connector as the factory alternator, so is that still 5/16"?

Does the factory alternator wire just stay connected to the same place it is now? Just wondering why you have to drill it out?

Old 12-27-2016, 04:32 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

The drilling refers to the factory eyelet depending on the positive stud size on the alternator. Most of us talking about the 5/16" are doing so because our alternator stud is bigger then the factory one. If your alternator stud is factory sized, no drilling is needed of the factory cabling. You can still use the 5/16" lug on the additional cable as the nut and other eyelet will make full contact.

The factory wire/cable has to still be utilized. You are paralleling it, not replacing it.

Old 12-27-2016, 04:37 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Let me edit and also say that you may have to sand/file/nibble down the shoulder of the insulator around the factory sized lug so the parallel cable fits flush. It's not a big deal to do the work, but with the surrounding shoulder the new cable lug may be larger then the factory had designed to.

Old 12-27-2016, 04:52 PM
akblackfoot
Elder User
Awesome. Thanks guys!!!

Old 12-27-2016, 05:57 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 410 Likes on 272 Posts
I found better prices for the fuse block (I went with the Buss CFBAR1-250SP for $14.75) and fuses here:

Marine Electrical Supply Items In Stock and Shipped Fast! Genuinedealz.com

I took my second hot wire over the top, 24" with one zip tie to the metal intake tube...

Quick Reply: Battery Cable Upgrade