2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loss of MPG after plug change

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 06:24 AM
Archion
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
+1 on the CRC mass air cleaner. I use it on both of my MAF equipped vehicles every oil change. You would be surprised how much can accumulate on the wires just through normal driving, especially if there is a lot of highway miles. You ever see oil on the front of your ride after a road trip, it went through the air intake as well... I ditched my K&N's over this issue a while back. Still researching washable filters that are non-oiled. On my Mustang since it has a CAI I have one of those green cone filters they sell at Carlisle, I forget the brand, it's been a couple years. I'll have to look in the spring when I pull it out of hibernation. I know since it is not oiled, it has been a lot nicer to the MAF the past few oil changes.

And the TSB does call for putting the nickel based antisieze on the shells. I would also suggest getting rid of the Champions, Autolite and Champion arent as good as they used to be since they moved their plants off shore.

Here is the TSB:

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
3VTSB.pdf (150.4 KB, 544 views)
Old 12-31-2011, 08:56 AM
hydro_37
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would suggest re-setting the computer after cleaning the MAF (disconnect the battery for 10 mins)

Old 12-31-2011, 02:45 PM
elrodalonzo
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I cleaned the MAF and only drove a few miles of mixed terrain, hgwy, back roads, etc. but it seems to be much better according to the message center mileage. I need to put alot more miles on to get a better reading on what's going on. I think I'll hold off on the plug change for a few days till I get a better grip on the situation. Resetting the computer is probably not a bad idea either. I guess I'll have to drink a few beers and watch football tomorrow on my only day off instead of working on the truck. I'll post again after a few days of road testing to let you know how I made out. Thanks everyone for the tips and valuable input on this. Everyone have a happy, healthy and safe new year.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:16 PM
cavy
New User
any updates??? im having the exact same problem only i replaced my plugs with oe plugs. I replaced plugs, fuel filter, rear diff fluid, and it has a new air filter...did cleaning the maf work?

Old 01-06-2012, 11:01 PM
thecardoc
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I changed the plugs on a 04 to Champions last month and would NEVER go back to OEM Autolite/motorcraft again. Just peace of mind knowing they will not break in two again OEM like is one thing . But also the slight increase in both MPG and performance (that you would expect from a tune up ) was also nice . Also no matter how much anti seize you put on the Autolites/motorcrafts it wont stop them from breaking .

Old 01-07-2012, 05:27 AM
elrodalonzo
Senior User
Sorry for the delay in posting I was trying to get a god accurate mileage reading under all conditions. I cleaned the maf and gained around 1/2 mpg. Still down 2 1/2 since the plug change. I'm going to reinstall new OE Motorcraft tomorrow although I really hate too. I'll post as soon as I get some viable results on the mileage. Sorry now I sold my Lisle tool after the first change! The good news is I won't have to take these plugs out (if it works) for at least a couple of years.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:20 AM
Archion
Postmaster
One thing to consider you being in NY, your area may have just switched to winter blends and couple that with people usually warming their vehicles up in the winter, could account for the extra loss.

Old 01-08-2012, 06:58 AM
elrodalonzo
Senior User
Matt,
I wish you hadn't said that. Now you've got me thinking again and that's usually not a good thing. I have noticed in the past on other vehicles that when they change to the winter blend here it does make a big difference in the gas mileage. You are also correct about the warming up the vehicle part. The only part that bothers me is if the truck is running too rich it may foul the O2 sensors or worse eventually plug up the converters. They do emission testing here I guess I could hook it up to the machine but I'm not sure that would solve my problem if I don't have the old readings to compare it to. I love the idea of the Champion one piece plug design it gives me a real relief on that end. And as I've mentioned before the truck runs great before and after the plug change. Maybe I'll wait till this summer and see if the gas change and driving habits does it. As always thanks again for all the good input.

Old 01-08-2012, 07:48 AM
critterf1
Posting Guru
Never, ever put Champions in a Ford, especially this one. Use either Motorcraft or Brisk makes a nice one piece plug

Old 01-08-2012, 09:04 AM
HYPO
Senior User
Originally Posted by critterf1
Never, ever put Champions in a Ford, especially this one. Use either Motorcraft or Brisk makes a nice one piece plug
I have had Champions in my '08 Screw now for 30,000 mi. and have had zero problems. The truck runs as it did when new. You should gap them at .045" (these are gappable plugs) before installation. I suspect some of the problems people report are due to something as simple as an improper gap. When I checked mine before installation, the gaps were all over the place.

BTW I have "heard", don't know for sure, that the Brisk plug, although one piece is a cooler plug designed for for racing and supercharged applications.

HYPO

Old 01-08-2012, 09:43 AM
elrodalonzo
Senior User
I did check the gap on all the plugs before the install to make sure they were @.045. As far as Brisk plugs I wouldn't use them simply because I have zero history with them.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:51 PM
elrodalonzo
Senior User
Well I got some new Motorcraft OE 2 piece plugs and installed them. Much to my dismay the mileage still sucks. Same as it was after I installed the new Champions around 13 overall, down from 16 before. I guess it must be the crap winter blend gas here in the Catskill Mtns. of NY. Just bad timeing I changed the plugs around the same time the gas must have switched over. In the past I've noticed a big drop in my other vehicles because of this. One thing I did learn (I think) from this is this time I changed the plugs with a hot motor and the Champions were very easy, almost loose in comeing out. I put them in cold. I guess hot is the way to go I should have done that with the originals. Unforturnately now I have the crap 2 pc. plugs in my motor. I guess I'll leave them in awhile and then remove them and trash em. I want to put the Champs back in since they worked as well and no more nightmares with broken plugs. Thanks everybody for your input and hope my comments may help someone in the future.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:08 PM
Archion
Postmaster
it is not advisable at all to change the plugs in an alluminum head when the motor is hot. It makes the threads more vulnerable to being pulled out. Tsb states warm, but this is just warm to the touch that they are reffering to. not full on hot.

Old 01-25-2012, 05:53 AM
elrodalonzo
Senior User
I didn't mean the motor was that hot, I just warmed it up for a few minutes. Besides by the time you get around to the actual changing of the plugs after you remove the computer and bracket and the coils the motor has cooled considerably. The plugs being steel still retain alot of heat though.