6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Torqueshift tranny Problems??

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2004, 09:48 PM
SuperF250Duty
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Torqueshift tranny Problems??

I need some help out there....I have an 03 FX4 6.0 5-speed auto with cronic transmission problems. With only 20k miles, I just had the 4th transmission installed....this last one @ my expense!!! After an inspector from Ford was sent to inspect the truck, the warranty claim was denied because of my 4" cat-back exhaust, my 4" Pro-comp lift, and the fact that I had a pyrometer. They said these things caused the transmission to fail!!! Can you believe this s#@*??? They also implied that I had a programmer but they couldn't prove it. Now after spending almost 5k for the transmission, I'm stuck having to get my money back through a law suit, which is still going on under the lemon-law. My question is this is anyone else having such problems with their transmission? With all the available reman torqueshift transmissions out there, especially given that this transmission is now a little over 2 model years old, there has to be thers out there. I'm trying to find out so that I can document this for my attorney to show that ther is a problem...other than mine. Thanks for the help

Old 08-29-2004, 10:27 PM
Daryl Hunter
Cargo Master
There have been very few report of transmission problems on this board.

There will be those who question your post as a troll given that this is your first post. A couple guys here can look up your VIN number and check out the history of the vehicle in the OASIS system.

I'd have the VIN number handy for when they chime in here.

The exhaust and pyrometer definitely have nothing to do with transmission problems. Lifts on the other hand could be argued to have some effect on the transmission.

Old 08-30-2004, 12:07 AM
Hayapower!
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Being that this is the '4th' trans.. What were the components that caused the failures in trans 1-3?? Same failures each time? Was there ever a tear down, or written diagnosis provided from the service writer? Should have been some 'paper' somewhere along the line.. Especially if on my dime..

.......................HP......................... .....

Last edited by Hayapower!; 08-30-2004 at 12:21 AM.
Old 08-30-2004, 08:00 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperF250Duty
I need some help out there....I have an 03 FX4 6.0 5-speed auto with cronic transmission problems. With only 20k miles, I just had the 4th transmission installed....this last one @ my expense!!! After an inspector from Ford was sent to inspect the truck, the warranty claim was denied because of my 4" cat-back exhaust, my 4" Pro-comp lift, and the fact that I had a pyrometer. They said these things caused the transmission to fail!!! Can you believe this (SNIP) They also implied that I had a programmer but they couldn't prove it. Now after spending almost 5k for the transmission, I'm stuck having to get my money back through a law suit, which is still going on under the lemon-law. My question is this is anyone else having such problems with their transmission? With all the available reman torqueshift transmissions out there, especially given that this transmission is now a little over 2 model years old, there has to be thers out there. I'm trying to find out so that I can document this for my attorney to show that ther is a problem...other than mine. Thanks for the help
Please read the Guidelines aobut posting...

Old 08-30-2004, 08:15 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
While this would be a bad thing for me to go through...
The Torqueshift has been SOLID and not come up on here except....

Is it only me that sees such a significant trend in that tranny problems have only been reported by first time posters ?

Old 08-30-2004, 08:19 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
IMO the only way to have this problem is to have a post count of 1 or less.
We need not worry.... however please send me your VIN by email and we will run it.

Old 08-30-2004, 08:54 AM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
JD...Some of these folks may not have had any other issues to search for help. As some get frustrated with issues they finally start seeking info resources.

I met a guy over the weekend with an '04 6.0 CC King Ranch (Nov 13, '03 engine build). @ 16,000 miles he never looked under the hood. Just dropped off for oil service @ a quick change joint. Never drained water.

I asked him to pop the hood for a little inspection. He has coolant blow out all over his engine compartment. No mods BTW. His Penzoil oil level was over the full hatch mark just now experienceing some rough idle etc...no bell housing leak or other issues. 1st time diesel owner (never read the manual BTW)...He knew a lot about his $ 8,000.00 Rolex and nothing about his $ 52,000.00 truck.

This guy had WAY more $$$$ than sense.

Gave him the web site info and invited him to check with us if he winds up with any unresolved issues.

Old 08-30-2004, 09:08 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Agreed KW...
and some recent post have picced my curious questions as well

Old 08-30-2004, 10:44 AM
Daryl Hunter
Cargo Master
If not a troll, he'll be back will continue to post and offer up the requested info. Hopefully we'll be able to offer some helpful insight as to his problem, but if true, with three previously failed and replaced trannys, I'm sure that he's already got some pretty bright minds from Ford looking at the problem.

In my line of work when dealing with a lot of systems, if we find a component failing repeatedly at a single site and that component has otherwise been shown to have a high MTBF, we start looking at the rest of the site for the problem.

In this case, we'd be looking at the truck, not the tranny, to see why it is causing the tranny to fail.

Old 08-30-2004, 03:48 PM
SuperF250Duty
New User
oops

Originally Posted by Tim Lamkin
Please read the Guidelines aobut posting...
Sorry about that Tim...I guess I should have read them first. I tried to email the VIN but because I only have one, or actually two posts now, and the fact that my account is less then 15 days old, it will not let me email you. Any other ideas??? Thanks

Old 08-30-2004, 04:30 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Originally Posted by SuperF250Duty
Sorry about that Tim...I guess I should have read them first. I tried to email the VIN but because I only have one, or actually two posts now, and the fact that my account is less then 15 days old, it will not let me email you. Any other ideas??? Thanks
Got it... and no worry...just sent you one back!

Old 08-30-2004, 05:04 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Rob it shows you have a load of transmission and drivetrain problems... Shows 9 dealer visits and 2 vehicle loaner/rental reciepts...is this the correct number? you no doubt have had a time of it
..ug....what is the total number of days at the shop

Old 08-30-2004, 05:25 PM
SpartanDieselTech
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tim Lamkin
Rob it shows you have a load of transmission and drivetrain problems... Shows 9 dealer visits and 2 vehicle loaner/rental reciepts...is this the correct number? you no doubt have had a time of it
..ug....what is the total number of days at the shop
Let me correct that, 11 visits and 1 rental...

Is that correct?

I just now realized that 3 of the *reciepts* were on the same date.

Old 08-30-2004, 07:14 PM
04superduty
Elder User
sounds like its time to go to another dealer.

Old 08-31-2004, 07:05 AM
Ghoffman
Senior User
Not good news...I was hoping he was a troll. I agree it may be a dealer problem. Fact is, this board may be at a loss on how to help with a tranmission problem because we have seen one maybe two others fail at most. Most have considered the failures in the past a fluke. 4 in one truck has to be an issue with something other than the transmission....maybe the truck....dealer, etc. I suspect that is why the dealer is looking hard at your mods, although it seems unreasonable to think your mods, which many others on this board have also, are the source. I would get to another dealer/tech if it were me.

Quick Reply: Torqueshift tranny Problems??