1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

looking at an f450 4x4 this weekend - what to check?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 07:31 PM
guillesr
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looking at an f450 4x4 this weekend - what to check?

I'm a mechanic but into vintage cars, so the newer diesel truck stuff is a bit out of my league.

There's an '01 F450 4x4 cab and chassis for sale locally. 7.3/6spd - 177k miles.

It was used as a tank truck for a foundation sealing company and the owner sounds up front about its use. Has had regular maintenance, no major issues aside from a broken ring/pinion that was replaced at the dealer a few years ago.

What should I look for as far as issues? anything specific to the 450/550 series? It will need 2 rear tires (ouch!) but I can probably get it for under 9k.

Its the only 6 speed 4x4 I've come across yet and its right on my door step. And for the price, compared to an F350 "fancy" truck I'm getting a lot more for the money it seems...Since there's no bed I'd build a custom flatbed - kinda like a western hauler without the slider hitch.

Any help is appreciated!

Old 12-22-2011, 08:17 PM
RM2738
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like a nice buy. Love the 7.3's. What type of maintenance records does he have? That'd be my only concern.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:33 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
This thread will help you out a ton.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...questions.html

Good luck!

Old 12-22-2011, 09:43 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Be careful if youre using the truck for personal purposes. The 450 crosses the line into a different vehicle class (Not class A, B , C... but by GVWR) in most if not all states.

Old 12-23-2011, 12:28 AM
guillesr
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the link, I'll do some reading tonight.

The local BMV here in Ohio didn't seem to care about weight class, F250 vs F350 or F450. I was told they go by number of axles and personal vs commercial. It "should" cost about 70.00 to register, same as my old F350.

<Fingers Crossed>

Maintenance records would definitely be a plus!

Old 12-23-2011, 12:12 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by guillesr
Thanks for the link, I'll do some reading tonight.

The local BMV here in Ohio didn't seem to care about weight class, F250 vs F350 or F450. I was told they go by number of axles and personal vs commercial. It "should" cost about 70.00 to register, same as my old F350.

<Fingers Crossed>

Maintenance records would definitely be a plus!
I presume you will check with your state and confirm but just an FYI....

Here in Phoenix a cab and chassis truck must have an inspection to confirm it's a complete vehicle. If not, it gets titled as an 'incomplete vehicle' or some similar term. I am not entirely positive but I got the impression from the Motor Vehicle Department here that I could not have registered the truck if it was incomplete. It would have to have a bed or service body or something before they would allow me to register it. In my case it wasn't an issue because my F-450 has a service body so I was able to get registered.

I was asked to specify the weight rating of the vehicle for registration fee purposes. In my case I went with 15,000 lbs since that is what was listed on the door jamb sticker and I know for a fact that my truck weighs 11,500 lbs as it currently sits. My annual registration fee here in Arizona was $125.00

Getting it registered was a little more involved. My insurance company first told me they can't insure medium or heavy duty trucks. I told them that was unfortunate since it means I'd have to shop for a different insurance company. They then changed their tune and said they would insure my medium duty truck if I listed it as non-commercial. Since I only intend to use it for personal reasons I went ahead and stuck with my original insurance company.

You might want to call your insurance company and get a confirming quote before you decide to go the medium duty route. Just an FYI...

Old 12-23-2011, 03:29 PM
Nsaan
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Shake-N-Bake
I presume you will check with your state and confirm but just an FYI....

Here in Phoenix a cab and chassis truck must have an inspection to confirm it's a complete vehicle. If not, it gets titled as an 'incomplete vehicle' or some similar term. I am not entirely positive but I got the impression from the Motor Vehicle Department here that I could not have registered the truck if it was incomplete. It would have to have a bed or service body or something before they would allow me to register it. In my case it wasn't an issue because my F-450 has a service body so I was able to get registered.

I was asked to specify the weight rating of the vehicle for registration fee purposes. In my case I went with 15,000 lbs since that is what was listed on the door jamb sticker and I know for a fact that my truck weighs 11,500 lbs as it currently sits. My annual registration fee here in Arizona was $125.00

Getting it registered was a little more involved. My insurance company first told me they can't insure medium or heavy duty trucks. I told them that was unfortunate since it means I'd have to shop for a different insurance company. They then changed their tune and said they would insure my medium duty truck if I listed it as non-commercial. Since I only intend to use it for personal reasons I went ahead and stuck with my original insurance company.

You might want to call your insurance company and get a confirming quote before you decide to go the medium duty route. Just an FYI...
I had the same dance with my Insurance company and they didn't budge, I was with Allstate, they said no, Farmers said no, but wanted to write a commercial policy, I heard Progressive might but after they way they handled a incident after my wife had her car stolen and repaired while we were dating, I would not give them a red cent of my money ever again. I ended up at Travelers Insurance, with changing the house and vehicles over I am saving money over what I was paying before, I have a lot higher coverages on my stuff now too.

What company are you with Greg? It never hurts to know who will and won't write policies on our medium duty trucks.