1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Such a thing as short n long box 48 F1 ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 09:00 AM
jim collins
Cargo Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Some times you can turn the springs around ,front to rear, and move the rear axle. I have done the old 50s chevy trucks that way when changing the old inclosed drive line to a open one.On them it would move the rear back about 2 inches to center the wheel. You can check the distant from each end to the center bolt to see if they are the same or not On a lot of vehicals they are not the same . You would have to see if the bushings can be changed from one end to the other and if the spring ends are the same width . On the chevy the ends had to be ground down a little bit to get the rear part to fit the front and a small spacer added to the front that was put in the rear shackels. If it will work then that's a lot less work than stretching that frame and do as was suggested,put a f-1 running board on first,then fit all to it.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:01 AM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 332 Likes on 256 Posts
Originally Posted by petemcl
The dash looks original along with some of the wiring. mtflat sorry for the poor picture but the truck was originally seamist(?) green and it just looks like primer. Body seams are factory.

I looked for the serial number on top of the frame near the left water pump. I had that pump off to overhaul it. I couldn't see any serial number or grind marks. I think that there are more hidden serial numbers under the cab but that will have to wait.
Ok, I concede on the dash. Looking closer at the picture your dash has the indent for the finger hold above the glovebox door that was 48-50. The ashtray does have 51/52 trim.

The serial number is not under the cab. Old guys remember that location pre-1942 models. When you said left - did you mean passenger side US? Look in that area between the radiator support and the angled waterpump x-member. Lightly stamped, you'll have to rub with steel wool or carefully scrape around there. Solvent will help remove crud. Shine a light at a shallow angle and you should find the original serial # for the frame.

Some report the serial on the driver's side close to the steering gear box. Depended on the assembly plant.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:46 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
In all my years I've never heard of anyone redrilling the center hole in the spring leaves to move the locating pin. Not saying it wouldn't work, but I wouldn't do it on my own rig. That doesn't sound right at all, to me.

And I don't know if I'd try to lengthen an already shortened frame. There are so many of these old F2's and F3's that are practically given away do to their lack of popularity compared with the F1, finding a replacement frame would be way easier than modifying a modified frame.

It looked to me as the box was still sitting back too far, and could be moved forward a smidge. Combine that with moving the fender forward an inch or so and you'll have everything looking pretty close to normal. It all depends on what you're looking for in the end. If you really want a long bed truck, I think you'd be time and money ahead with starting with a different unit.

You also said your front end has 'new replacement parts'. Are they steel or fiberglass. There is no new steel front end sheetmetal available for these trucks. But new fiberglass replica parts can be purchased.
I agree Wayne. Re-drilling the holes in the springs doesn't sound right to me either. I just wanted to see if anyone else had heard of that?

Actually I think lengthening it should not be too bad as the original cut was made on a straight section right behind the cab. Also the new exhaust system ends there and the wiring harness is aftermarket and has more than enough slack. The only thing that would probably need lengthened is the drive shaft which there are lots of places that do just that here in Detroit. But I do agree with you that a frame would be the right way to go. If I could find one then I could clean and paint it over the winter. I'll have to see what I can find. Wish I had a larger shop.

The fenders and hood are steel. I'm sure that is why they are for a 1951-52 F1 as I could only find fiberglass for 1950 model year. Maybe I could find an F2 frame with good front fenders? Hey - I can dream can't I.

Thanks for your input. It helps.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:52 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Originally Posted by ben73058
Hey Pete,
I thought it might be helpful for you to look at another 1950 F1 - see our's below.

o The bed looks pretty close but the bed panels look a bit different inside - mine have half circles your's show the bolts.

o I think my bed & rear wheel placement looks about the same as your's - I don't see any appreciable difference.

Personally I'd just get some replacement running boards mounted in there & just move to the next rock - Your truck looks just fine as it is.

Ben in Austin
That is a great looking truck! How long have you been working on it or maybe I should ask how long did it take you as it looks pretty complete?

Thanks for giving me a vision.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:03 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan
Here's the breakdown:
. . .

The only way to truly find out how much of stretch your frame will need, is to buy a set of either F1 running boards (if you want to keep it F1), or F2-F3 running boards, and mount them on your truck. No one reproduces F2-F3 running boards, but I have a decent and solid pair available.

Your truck has been definitely pieced and shortened by the PO.
Wow! That is a great breakdown. That will be a tremendous help when I go to find parts. Thanks you very much for taking the time to provide that info. I'll get with you privately on the F2 running boards.

Thanks again,

Old 12-29-2011, 10:10 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Originally Posted by jim collins
Some times you can turn the springs around ,front to rear, and move the rear axle. I have done the old 50s chevy trucks that way when changing the old inclosed drive line to a open one.On them it would move the rear back about 2 inches to center the wheel. You can check the distant from each end to the center bolt to see if they are the same or not On a lot of vehicals they are not the same . You would have to see if the bushings can be changed from one end to the other and if the spring ends are the same width . On the chevy the ends had to be ground down a little bit to get the rear part to fit the front and a small spacer added to the front that was put in the rear shackels. If it will work then that's a lot less work than stretching that frame and do as was suggested,put a f-1 running board on first,then fit all to it.
Thanks Jim. I spent 34 years working for Jeep/AMC/Chrysler/DaimlerChrysler, part of it in Engineering, and I know that the ride and handling guys would turn funny colors if anyone suggested that hole modification. In 1950 I'm not sure how much attention was paid to that. I'll have to measure the spring to axle lengths. That maybe a good solution. Thanks.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:22 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Originally Posted by mtflat
Ok, I concede on the dash. Looking closer at the picture your dash has the indent for the finger hold above the glovebox door that was 48-50. The ashtray does have 51/52 trim.

The serial number is not under the cab. Old guys remember that location pre-1942 models. When you said left - did you mean passenger side US? Look in that area between the radiator support and the angled waterpump x-member. Lightly stamped, you'll have to rub with steel wool or carefully scrape around there. Solvent will help remove crud. Shine a light at a shallow angle and you should find the original serial # for the frame.

Some report the serial on the driver's side close to the steering gear box. Depended on the assembly plant.
Wow! I would never have known about the finger hold. Thanks. I'll have to see if I can find a 1950 ashtray. What is the difference?

When I said left I meant driver's side. Is the number on the frame rail on the passenger side?

Old 12-29-2011, 10:48 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,448 Likes on 1,396 Posts
Originally Posted by petemcl
Wow! I would never have known about the finger hold. Thanks. I'll have to see if I can find a 1950 ashtray. What is the difference?

When I said left I meant driver's side. Is the number on the frame rail on the passenger side?
The frame stamped serial number on US production trucks is typically found on the right side frame rail near the motor mount bracket. Depending on the year and assembly plant, it could be anywhere along the right side rail from just behind the axle to the rad crossmember.

1948-50 ash trays had a black plastic **** you pulled to open it, where the 51-2 had a piece of chromed pot metal trim that served as a handle. If you wanted to weld up the two screw holes along the top edge and drill a new one for the '50 ****, that would do the trick..

Old 12-29-2011, 12:24 PM
jim collins
Cargo Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Pete , If it was not for the distant we are apart, I would gladly trade four F-2 front fenders for the two F-1s you have. But the cost of shipping kills that idea.__

P.S. and if you try the spring turn around i suggested,check it out real close. It may not work on a ford,the old chevys with the inclosed driveline were a lot different.__

Old 12-29-2011, 12:45 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I may have a 48-50 ashtray in my pile of parts.

You can get a pretty penny for those F1 fenders. If they're mostly solid, they're worth at least $500-600 for the pair. You can get F2-F6 front fenders for significantly less, because you'd have a wider selection range.

Just earlier this year I junked two 51-52 F2-F6 front clips because I couldn't give them away.

Old 12-29-2011, 02:34 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
I may have a 48-50 ashtray in my pile of parts.

You can get a pretty penny for those F1 fenders. If they're mostly solid, they're worth at least $500-600 for the pair. You can get F2-F6 front fenders for significantly less, because you'd have a wider selection range.

Just earlier this year I junked two 51-52 F2-F6 front clips because I couldn't give them away.
Great! Thanks for the information. I would like to find the right fenders and put a 1950 grill in it. I'm not sure what other front end panels I'll need. I had to send back new 1952 parking lamp assemblies because they would not fit in the space between the '51-52 grill and the lower panel even though it had the chevron shaped indentations for the correct lights.

I contact you privately about the ash tray.

Thanks again,

Old 12-29-2011, 02:43 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
The frame stamped serial number on US production trucks is typically found on the right side frame rail near the motor mount bracket. Depending on the year and assembly plant, it could be anywhere along the right side rail from just behind the axle to the rad crossmember.
I found it! It is snowing and wet an miserable out but I found it. It helps to look in the right spot. See my latest post on https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/4...n-cut-off.html

I'm glad that the engine numbers match although there is still some question about the cab matching the frame as the plate in the glovebox doesn't look like it has the original attachments. But maybe they are as the top screw are painted the body color. If it was moved it was moved a while ago. What do you think?

Thanks,

Old 12-29-2011, 02:56 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Pete,

You'll need a complete front clip from a 48-50 F2-F6 in order to have correct fenders. Grille, hood, upper hood latch panel, lower deflector (or gravel pan) and inner fenders are the same as 48-50 F1. So, the only difference between 48-50 F2-F6 and F1 are the upper and lower fenders.

The F1 beds (48-50 or 51-52) are completely different from the F2-F3 beds. All F2-F3 beds are the same from 48-52. Thus, F2-F3 rear fenders are different than F1 rear fenders. The F2-F3 bed is wider and longer than the F1 bed. To accomodate for the larger width of the bed, the F2-F3 rear fenders have a large notch in them. Plus, the wheel openings are larger in all fenders on F2-F6 trucks than on F1s.

It may be worthwhile for you to start looking for a 48-50 F2-F3 truck and piece both trucks together to what you want and sell the left over parts. Between your current fenders and other front body parts, you should easily have $800-1000.

Old 12-29-2011, 03:13 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Pete,

You'll need a complete front clip from a 48-50 F2-F6 in order to have correct fenders. Grille, hood, upper hood latch panel, lower deflector (or gravel pan) and inner fenders are the same as 48-50 F1. So, the only difference between 48-50 F2-F6 and F1 are the upper and lower fenders.

The F1 beds (48-50 or 51-52) are completely different from the F2-F3 beds. All F2-F3 beds are the same from 48-52. Thus, F2-F3 rear fenders are different than F1 rear fenders. The F2-F3 bed is wider and longer than the F1 bed. To accomodate for the larger width of the bed, the F2-F3 rear fenders have a large notch in them. Plus, the wheel openings are larger in all fenders on F2-F6 trucks than on F1s.

It may be worthwhile for you to start looking for a 48-50 F2-F3 truck and piece both trucks together to what you want and sell the left over parts. Between your current fenders and other front body parts, you should easily have $800-1000.
That would make sense. Then I would have the frame, front clip, long box, etc. Thanks,

Old 12-29-2011, 06:27 PM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Re-drilling the holes in the springs doesn't sound right to me either. I just wanted to see if anyone else had heard of that?
That doesn't sound right at all to me either. What I have seen done many times is to cut the rivets out that attach the cast steel hangers to the frame and relocate them forward or backward on the frame rails to reposition the axle and springs as an assembly. Just drill new holes and reattach with grade 8 bolts and nuts. Much safer and ultimately less work!

Quick Reply: Such a thing as short n long box 48 F1 ?