S. California Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

What tires do you have on your trucks for California

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 01:26 AM
bens170
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks A/Ox4
For the information and for posting the website. I installed something like that years ago on 65 Jeep Wagoneer 4x4 with a inline 6 cyl 4 spd manual and manual transfer case. on the back that held the spare tire and a 5 gallon jerry can. The jerry can was stolen twice.
Ben

Old 12-29-2011, 01:27 AM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Sean has something like that.
I like the idea of the tire gate, too bad its ugly.

Old 12-29-2011, 01:31 AM
bens170
Junior User
Years ago when I worked for a Toyota dealer in the parts department they were building an off road racing Toyota hilux SR5 mini pickup for off road racing. I believe but I am not sure they used the landcruiser spare tire mount and I can't remember if it was bolted or welded to the bed of the truck or that they fabricated their own. Too many years ago.
Ben

Old 12-30-2011, 12:22 AM
ghanson
More Turbo
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bens170
Years ago when I worked for a Toyota dealer in the parts department they were building an off road racing Toyota hilux SR5 mini pickup for off road racing. I believe but I am not sure they used the landcruiser spare tire mount and I can't remember if it was bolted or welded to the bed of the truck or that they fabricated their own. Too many years ago.
Ben
I was looking at getting a Bronco spare rack for my truck but realized that it would be fugly. I'll be mounting mine vertically at the back passenger side of the bed.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:17 AM
nvrlwef
New User
wheel question

Hello to all! New to website just bought a 98 f150 lariet and it has a two inch lift and has a weird tire size because of the weird rim size. 33x12.50x16.50 I have done some research and found the only tire they make for that rim size is bfg a/t. Truck says stock rim size is 17 but wondering if I can go down to a 16 since tires are so much cheaper then 17's. If anyone has ideas would like to here them please. This is my first Ford and also first 4wd can't wait to hit the hills this deer season!

Old 01-17-2012, 08:22 AM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to FTE, nvrlwef.

I would imagine the size of the brakes would be the determining factor in whether or not 16's would fit. You might try asking the folks in the '97 - '03 forum; clicking this link will get you there -> 1997 - 2003 F150 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

I'm not trying to chase you off...just thinking you'll get more views and a quicker answer in the model specific forum

Old 01-17-2012, 11:03 AM
ghanson
More Turbo
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
16's will fit on a '98 1/2 ton, my '99 Expy had 16's.

Old 01-18-2012, 02:20 PM
nvrlwef
New User
Thanks yeah I found out 16's will fit so hopefully I can find a stock pair that's cheap lol

Old 01-22-2012, 08:36 PM
Beechkid
Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts
yokohama yk520

Old 01-23-2012, 06:47 AM
timbuctooCal
Tuned
here it is! "All Jeeps" Tire study

I was in walmart automotive section and they had a JP magazine(march issue) with bold white letters " EVERY JEEP TIRE TESTED"
this article may help some of you decide on what tire to pick.

I have new tires already,and shouldnt need any for a while,but my OCD compelled me to buy it anyway,JIC (just in case) Oh yeah,i just remembered,In 25 K I have a Montero sport 4x4 that will need tires,so the article should still be useful to me.

i looked at the article and noticed 2 of the tires listed that i was familiar with in rain ,snow, rocks,mud and varying degrees of decomposed granite on down to sand. See my avtar above and the "garage' has a pic of my rig stranded in the driveway .

My experience was with BFG AT KO and General Grabber AT2 ($112 on sale last year at Walmart).
I have the BFGs on my 4x4 van and the AT2 generals 4x4 isuzu pickup

My personal experience is that the two are very similar in looks and performance in the above conditions. the test results in the article confirm this.
The trick will be converting their rating/numbering system into something"tangible" .

Since I have both, I actually now know ,from my experience with the two,a rating of 2, for snow, doesnt impress me.

I didnt find the BFGs particularly good in snow as shown in the pic(in my garage) of my E250 stranded in my driveway.(tires spun as if on ice) The drive is a compacted decomposed granite driveway .
I suspect the tread grooves are just not open enough to throw out the ice/snow out and just couldnt dig in to the earth and slinging it out
BTW :Very mild snow conditions. It snowed 2 days then in 4 days it was gone.

Next time I would go for a 3+ if snow was my main concern,but in the desert where I live,snow/ice are rare so thats not the most important.

I value the street and sand ratings which were rated 4/3 and they have been fine.
Gotta be careful going to blockier tires as i had some create rattles in the dash . Took em off,rattles went away.

BTW The goodyear 'silent armor " had suprisingly good ratings for their mild looks.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:23 AM
timbuctooCal
Tuned
How much to spend on a spare ?

carry no spare? Hmmmm
Questions to ask yourself: A ship without an escape pod. Skydive without a reserve. Ok theres my opinion. GET A SPARE !
If your spare is out of sight when not in use,then looks shouldnt matter?
The spare just stays on until you get the other fixed.
i just use a stock rim and a used tire.
When the other 4 tires are worn out,youll be stuck with one new one that probably wont match the new tires you will want to get.
You could rotate your spare into the other 4,but that gets to complicated and labor intensive . i guess it can be done,but the used tire is easier and cheaper and accomplishes the same.

Originally Posted by lovestrucks
thanks, I can't wait to get these...hopefully looking at their pricing on their other rims, I'm hopefully looking at about $163 each.

What's your guys opinion of rims and tires?
Do you guys think it's good to get 5 rims/tires or just 4...and no spare?

I've heard some people say that it's easier to just buy another tire if one gets damaged, but I rather have 5 to always have a spare.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:31 AM
timbuctooCal
Tuned
Ive had these too and theyre fine where I live. The dry high desert. Good in sand and street.

Originally Posted by bpounds
I'm running the BFG Rugged Terrain. So far, so good. I think the tread design is comparable to those Falkin as far as aggressiveness. Rather mild. And priced well.

Check out tirerack.com for comparison pricing and reviews.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:59 AM
timbuctooCal
Tuned
Tight is good

i bought tires for my motorhome that were each wide enough their sidewalls touched snugly.
The tire people said they,d over heat and self destruct.
They never did.
The reason i wanted this is to minimize any fist size river rock wedging between my tires . They required removing the wheels to dislodge any rock.
I never had any wedgies since .

Originally Posted by bens170
SpringerPop,
I have been fortunate so far, driving an hour from Anza to Palm Desert and sometimes to the VA Hospital in Loma Linda I have not had any problems yet. Knock on wood. The tires are mounted on 17 x 6.5 inch rims and they are very close to each other. Once I figure out how to get my Kodak camera to load into my computer I will post some photos of the tires and the truck and my little characters 3 dogs and 1 cat. Have a Merry Christmas and a safe New Year.
Ben