1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

91 T Bird SC IRS

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 01:59 PM
Holehawgg
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
91 T Bird SC IRS

I picked up a 91 T bird sc as the donor for my 49 F-47 IRS. Just about have it on the ground but before I finish there are 2 cables or wires mounted to what looks like sensors on the open gears on either side of the diff. Can someone tell me what these are and if it is ok to cut them. They run up into the body below the trunk and from there its a mystery. I just don't want to cut something I may need later. I'm guessing they are for the ABS but not sure. Thanks
Remi

Old 12-21-2011, 02:06 PM
elgemcdlf
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was under the impression they were for traction control. You may be correct though as that also makes sense. Traction control works by cutting engine power when a slippage is detected. The sensors you speak of may actually be used for both traction control and anti lock. You got the good gears & should be a posi unit. Depending on auto or stick would designate the gears but info I have is that 3.27 are the lowest gears available in the MN12 IRS & they came in the SC's. Posi also was a standard on the SC as I understand it.

My MN12 is a 1995 unit and I do not have those sensors. I have seen them on some cars and on others not which is why I thought traction control.

Old 12-21-2011, 02:21 PM
5pntslw
Builder/Fabricator

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
yeah i do believe you are right they are just ABS sensors

Old 12-21-2011, 02:34 PM
49fordpickumup
Elder User
I have the -95 t-bird electrical manual. ABS brake sensors, two wires. I cut mine at the top of the sensor added sealant and a rubber cap found at the hardware store, for looks. Keep all nuts/bolts and the top/bottom metal covers for each of the four mounts to use later if needed. If you can keep the shock absorbers for initial installation. Measure the two shock attachment points to copy, when you do yours. chuck

Old 12-21-2011, 09:55 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Those are speed sensors.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:28 PM
Holehawgg
Senior User
Thanks everyone. I've cut the wires and have the IRS on the ground. The gearing is 3.27 and it's supposed to be posi. Just need the adapters from team 321 to start the mock up

Old 12-22-2011, 08:46 AM
elgemcdlf
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Holehawgg
Thanks everyone. I've cut the wires and have the IRS on the ground. The gearing is 3.27 and it's supposed to be posi. Just need the adapters from team 321 to start the mock up
You will like their kit. Makes the install a breeze.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:59 PM
Holehawgg
Senior User
Flipping and shortening the T Bird IFS front mounts

I've been looking at alot of pics on the Lincoln, T Bird, Cougar swaps using the team321 mounts. I like the way it covers the rear mount and spring perch but that front mount just seems to hang down and out from the frame to far. It just doesn't look like it belongs there to me. It needs to be cleaned up a bit and I still want to use the mount instead of fabing the arms and welding it directly to the frame.
Has anyone ever looked into shortening up the front arm and straightening it out so the front mount fits under the frame properly? Looking at the rear end it seems if you cut the subframe off where the arm starts to drop and cut the mount off the other end of the arm then you may be able to either flip the arm over, angle the cuts to shorten and straighten it out to the right angle and length and then reattach the mount. Another option is to fab up an arm from the subframe to the mount and weld it together.
I'm seriously considering this approach but would sure like to hear from other builders what their thoughts are. Mostly if they think there could be any safety related concerns in doing this.
Remi

Old 01-22-2012, 11:18 PM
mytbtruck
Laughing Gas
We cut ours and fabricated a piece to weld in the opening.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:20 PM
mytbtruck
Laughing Gas
This is the piece welded in place.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:22 PM
mytbtruck
Laughing Gas
This is the completed installation.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:54 PM
Holehawgg
Senior User
That's It!!!! That's what I was envisioning. Thanks for the pics. Don't you think this cleans it up nicely.
Remi

Old 01-23-2012, 08:18 AM
elgemcdlf
Posting Guru
That does look a whole lot better. I may take the front of mine apart and modify to this look. That turned out very nice looking. The only "maybe" holding me from modifying would be replacement. If for any reason I would need to replace the cradle using the Team321 mount allows me to just directly bolt in a replacement with no mods. I can't think of any realistic reason I would need to replace it. After all if my truck got hit that hard to damage it I would most likely replace the frame anyway. If it rusts through somewhere it will probably be long after I am gone.

Old 02-09-2012, 10:57 PM
Holehawgg
Senior User
MYTBTRUCK
How thick of material did you use to fab the subframe back to the mount? I have a good supply of 3/16" around here. Think that would be good enough?

Old 02-10-2012, 04:17 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
i got a whole disc somewhere from larry of his build and it's impressive !!!!! i got parts laying around yet from a 91 ( jeff i may have to buy that irs back from ya unless i rip apart turd bird my 95 ) as i was gonna do this to a 53 frame i have extra . i will have the tweeked one from under my 53 when it gets done , and i still know of a couple of 54's and 55's around here so .... i gotta stop thinking about this i got too many things now !!!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: 91 T Bird SC IRS