Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Bucks and dies......about to give up

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 02:31 PM
Crewcab Turbo
Fleet Mechanic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Have you tried unplugging your fuel bowl heater yet? It shorts momentarily, no codes, and screws with the computer. You don't really need it. I recently found the PO of my truck was plagued with a similar problem for almost a year,then I bought it,I too had issues. Someone here gave me the tip, and I unpluged it, and all is well for more than 6 months now. Good luck.

Old 12-22-2011, 10:41 AM
01PS
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tdpower
Mike, you might want to unplug your ebp sensor before you leave work and see if it makes a difference. The ebpv solenoid gets the 12 supply from the pcm so if was shorting to ground that may cause problems for the pcm. Unplugging that sensor is suppose to disable it. I know you have the solenoid unplugged but the pcm may be still applying power when it's cold. Probably a long shot but I would try it.
I'm about to head in so I can try that. I should have gotten an earlier start but those coors lights tasted so darned good last night. My phone is jacked up. I didn't get a voicemail notification until after 10:00 last night, then it said you had called hours earlier.

Old 12-22-2011, 10:42 AM
01PS
Elder User
Originally Posted by Crewcab Turbo
Have you tried unplugging your fuel bowl heater yet? It shorts momentarily, no codes, and screws with the computer. You don't really need it. I recently found the PO of my truck was plagued with a similar problem for almost a year,then I bought it,I too had issues. Someone here gave me the tip, and I unpluged it, and all is well for more than 6 months now. Good luck.
Will be trying this one as well. Thanks.

Old 12-22-2011, 12:39 PM
01PS
Elder User
FWIW the truck acted up again this morning while I had AE running. I was monitoring my Vref and never saw a drop. I was also watching my ICP voltage and noticed the erratic readings as usual. I pulled the codes when it died the last time and got B1352 (I think) key in circuit failure, AIH circuit low (even though I put a 470ohm resistor in after the delete), and IPC circuit low. Will the DP cause the ICP code even if I stay in the "stock tune" the whole time? I'm thinking I may not have cut the harness back far enough when I replaced the ICP pigtail.

Old 12-22-2011, 01:55 PM
tdpower
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is this the code you got: P1280 ICP Circuit Out of Range Low

If so that is probably a wiring issue. The 1211 is the one you can get under heavy load. I have never seen that on my truck and imo you shouldn't see it in a stock tune. If you want to check that connection look at the link I posted earlier. There are some checks you can do to see if the connection is good.

Old 12-22-2011, 01:59 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
I don't see a B1352 on my sheet at all. Or a P1352. Mit want to check that code again.

Chet

Old 12-22-2011, 02:41 PM
01PS
Elder User
Is this the code you got: P1280 ICP Circuit Out of Range Low

If so that is probably a wiring issue. The 1211 is the one you can get under heavy load. I have never seen that on my truck and imo you shouldn't see it in a stock tune. If you want check that connection look at the link I posted earlier. There are some checks you can do to see if the connection is good.
Pretty sure that was the one Grant. I'll clear and pull codes again here in a few and post back.

Old 12-22-2011, 02:43 PM
01PS
Elder User
Originally Posted by Bonanza35
I don't see a B1352 on my sheet at all. Or a P1352. Mit want to check that code again.

Chet
Is a body code. May have the numbers wrong but it is defined as "key in circuit failure". I get this one pretty consistently. I was hoping all of my issues stemmed from bad ignition switch but I can pull, twist, and bang on my keys and nothing happens. I'll double check those numbers. I was also getting a ROM error on KOEO test but from what I've read thats not a big deal.

Old 12-22-2011, 04:15 PM
01PS
Elder User
So here's what I have from AE. Keep in mind I did not clear the codes when it died this morning. DTCs are B1352 (key in ignition failure), P0541 (AIH circuit low), P1280 (ICP circuit low)........KOEO gives me P0605 (ROM error).......KOER gives me P0476 (EBPV range/performance), and P0541 (AIH circuit low). Seems I need to take another look at that ICP pigtail I replaced. I'll also run the tests in the link Grant posted.

Old 12-22-2011, 04:41 PM
tdpower
Postmaster
Sounds like you are making some progress. Also try the scientific wiggle method while running on the icp wiring. Starting to snow here on the west side. I bet you guys are going to get hammered up there. When are you leaving for TX? Hopefully you can get this resolved before you head out.

Old 12-22-2011, 05:01 PM
01PS
Elder User
Sounds like you are making some progress. Also try the scientific wiggle method while running on the icp wiring. Starting to snow here on the west side. I bet you guys are going to get hammered up there. When are you leaving for TX? Hopefully you can get this resolved before you head out.
I've done the ol' wiggle jiggle on the ICP wiring with no results. Looks like crap on base right now so I'm headed out soon. I think NWS is calling for another 8" this afternoon and over night. I'd like to leave tomorrow but it's not looking so promising right now. I've decided to pull my DP and re-scan after I run around a bit. The P0605 is starting to worry me. I really hope my buddy has an open bay in his shop. I don't think I'll get much done in this weater with my garage door open.

Old 12-22-2011, 05:05 PM
tdpower
Postmaster
You can also get the 1280 code if you unplugged the icp while running.

Old 12-22-2011, 05:59 PM
01PS
Elder User
You can also get the 1280 code if you unplugged the icp while running.
That's why I'm thinking it may be the harness. I need to pull the tuner to verify the P0605 and clear the 1280 to see if it comes back after I drive for a bit. I don't know how much driving I'll be doing though, it is getting REALLY nasty out here. I almost kissed the concrete barrier head on while driving on the interstate a few minutes ago.

Old 12-23-2011, 02:32 AM
01PS
Elder User
Well, we repaired my hacked up ICP harness. After pulling codes I think I may need a new PCM. Persistent KAM and ROM codes, AE can't retreive VIN, and VIN is all scrambled on a MODIS. I pulled the chip and the PCM codes stuck around. I also got a nice U code for communication loss or something like that. My buddy also pulled codes from the GEM and I had one for VSS (among others for the overhead computer, etc. so that's my next step. I have seen that VSS code in AE in the past and it's a cheap part. I40 East is closed around here so I don't think I'll be able to head to Texas until Saturday. I'm hoping to make it in town for parts tomorrow.

Old 12-23-2011, 03:06 AM
tdpower
Postmaster
Did you check the ohm and voltage checks on that connection? Guess you didn't have time to run it much.

I doubt you have a pcm problem. The 60x code is pretty common but don't remember the exact cause. Do a search and should find plenty on that one and the other 13xx code.

Your welcome to swing by my house tommorrow. Not sure how much more help I would be but would also be glad to play with your AE..lol...

How much snow did you guys get? Only an inch or two here.

Quick Reply: Bucks and dies......about to give up