Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Bucks and dies......about to give up

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 09:00 PM
01PS
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by usmcdaveII
I had similiar problems not exactly temperature related. It was actually two fold. The IPR nut fell into the valley and my screens in the fuel tank were clogged. When the IPR was moving around, I actually had to stop on the side of the road several times. The truck would start and idle fine, then when I would accelerate it would run horrible. I would highly recommened installing a temporary fuel pressure gauge that you can see while driving. Also take a quick look in the valley for the IPR nut.
Nut was on the old IPR tight when I removed it to clean it. I ended up damaging the old IPR and had to buy a new one. Cleaning the IPR was one of the first steps I took trying to fix this problem.

What fuel pressure gauge would you recommend, and do you know of any install instructions for this?

Headed out to freeze my butt off and have a look at the IDM wiring here after dinner.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:59 PM
tdpower
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I talked to Mike over the Phone. To me it sounds like an electrical issue. He said had some rodent problems around the ebpv solenoid and maybe other areas. I suggested a good dealer that has about 10 master mechanics at a local ford dealer. Maybe worth it if we can't help him figure it out. Anyway here is the link I was talking to you about: Maintenance - 1994-1997 Power Stroke FAQ

Merry Christmas and a good new year!

Old 12-21-2011, 07:57 AM
usmcdaveII
Senior User
Any 0-100 psi liquid filled gauge will work. I bought one at Tractor Supply. You will need a #4 ORB fitting on the other end of the gauge if you use the port off the fuel bowl. This may help.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...e-hook-up.html

Last edited by usmcdaveII; 12-21-2011 at 08:07 AM. Reason: found link
Old 12-21-2011, 08:43 AM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by 01PS
Truck idles like poo. When plotting ICP voltage in AE it looked almost like a square wave. Up, down, up, down. The APP assy smoothed that out a bit, but it is still strange looking.
To me that sounds like a PCM that is fighting to keep the engine running due to highly restricted flow. I've seen it a couple of times in other trucks. Both times there was a restriction in the tank and very little fuel reaching the engine so the IPR was doing gymnastics to keep the engine running.

Did you try draining the fuel bowl to see how fast it refills? If you open the drain right after the engine was running and you get a pressurized mixture of fuel and air then that is a classic sign of a restriction in the tank.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:58 AM
01PS
Elder User
Originally Posted by Shake-N-Bake
To me that sounds like a PCM that is fighting to keep the engine running due to highly restricted flow. I've seen it a couple of times in other trucks. Both times there was a restriction in the tank and very little fuel reaching the engine so the IPR was doing gymnastics to keep the engine running.

Did you try draining the fuel bowl to see how fast it refills? If you open the drain right after the engine was running and you get a pressurized mixture of fuel and air then that is a classic sign of a restriction in the tank.
Will try this soon. I took a look around the IDM and saw no signs of critters. For giggles I removed the 42 pin connector and cleaned all the contacts last night. No help this morning, still tried to die on me. Why would a fuel restriction go away after it warms up? Why would it still run like a champ at WOT with a fuel restriction?

Old 12-21-2011, 09:59 AM
01PS
Elder User
I'm going to have AE running tomorrow morning when I leave for work. If and when it acts up, what data should I be logging? Is there a "snapshot" feature in AE?

Old 12-21-2011, 10:20 AM
01PS
Elder User
Originally Posted by tdpower
I talked to Mike over the Phone. To me it sounds like an electrical issue. He said had some rodent problems around the ebpv solenoid and maybe other areas. I suggested a good dealer that has about 10 master mechanics at a local ford dealer. Maybe worth it if we can't help him figure it out. Anyway here is the link I was talking to you about: Maintenance - 1994-1997 Power Stroke FAQ

Merry Christmas and a good new year!
Thanks Grant! I'll have a look.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:32 AM
01PS
Elder User
I don't know if it's related, but now my driver side door switch is acting up. I had to slam the door 4 times to get the dinger and dome light to go off.

Old 12-21-2011, 11:04 AM
tdpower
Postmaster
Thanks Grant! I'll have a look.
Glad to help. Did you say the rats ate the wiring on on the ebps or the solenoid on the base of the turbo pedastal? Did you ever fix the wiring? That sensor carries the v ref that is shared with other sensors so that could be a problem. See what you can find in the link I provided. You can also check at the 42 pin connector if you see anything out of spec. Pulling the spider and inspecting all the wiring around the valley would also be a good idea. Good luck and hope you make it to TX ok. Maybe we can gtg after Christmas if you have not figured it out.

Old 12-21-2011, 11:28 AM
01PS
Elder User
When I deleted the EBPV I got a non-EBPV pedestal and left the plug harness dangling in the valley. After I noticed the mice had the eaten the connector almost entirely off I cut the harness back and soldered in a resistor. I still get EBV codes so I may not have cut enough of the wiring back. I looked around at wiring last night (fender plastic is hard as hell when it's frozen) and didn't see any damage around the IDM or any more damage in the valley. Will pull the spider this evening and inspect more. Will cut back EBPV solenoid wiring and attempt to repair again also.

Old 12-21-2011, 11:28 AM
01PS
Elder User
Can someone remind me of the resistor value for EBPV delete? I need to stop by rat shack and get more. I think they were 420ohm?

Old 12-21-2011, 11:35 AM
tdpower
Postmaster
It's a 470 ohm 1/2 watt resistor that you want.

Old 12-21-2011, 12:33 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Will try this soon. I took a look around the IDM and saw no signs of critters. For giggles I removed the 42 pin connector and cleaned all the contacts last night. No help this morning, still tried to die on me. Why would a fuel restriction go away after it warms up? Why would it still run like a champ at WOT with a fuel restriction?
It would not. I didn't catch the part where you mentioned that it went away once the engine was warm and at WOT.
Sorry...

Old 12-21-2011, 12:37 PM
01PS
Elder User
Originally Posted by Shake-N-Bake
It would not. I didn't catch the part where you mentioned that it went away once the engine was warm and at WOT.
Sorry...
No problem, I appreciate any help I get. Had I gone out and bought a gauge you might have owed me an adult berverage.

Old 12-21-2011, 12:48 PM
tdpower
Postmaster
Mike, you might want to unplug your ebp sensor before you leave work and see if it makes a difference. The ebpv solenoid gets the 12 supply from the pcm so if was shorting to ground that may cause problems for the pcm. Unplugging that sensor is suppose to disable it. I know you have the solenoid unplugged but the pcm may be still applying power when it's cold. Probably a long shot but I would try it.

Quick Reply: Bucks and dies......about to give up