89' Ranger Out of Commission Forever?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 06:46 PM
AmandaTexasRanger
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
89' Ranger Out of Commission Forever?

Hello Everyone!

New here to the FTE forums so thank you all for having me. I have an 89' Ford Ranger that has been in disrepair for three months now which saddens me to no end. The problem started as infrequent engine shut off and gradually became more and more frequent to the point where we had to start trouble shooting. Initially it sounded like a clogged fuel pump and that the engine would sporadically receive gas but would cut in and out. So, replaced the fuel pump and that didn't fix it. Long story short we replaced the fuel pump, spark plugs and wiring, starter (which actually did go out), ignition control module, crankshaft position sensor, alternator and battery (which was apparently in a very bad state), and engine control module.

The mechanic after replacing the ECM and running the truck in the bay for three hours and driving it around the block twice without issue thought that perhaps that was the problem. I picked it up and drove it six miles and it started acting up again. It's back in the shop and the mechanic noticed that when he moves the wiring to the ignition control module he can get the truck to die. So he thinks that the problem is faulty wiring to and from the module. Which he tells me are called pigtails.

The problem is that this part is no longer in production and together I think he and I have called every salvage yard in the country with an 89' or 90' Ford Ranger on their lot and none seem to have the right part.

I love this truck, I have a camper shell that fits it (which was hard to find), the Ford factory service manuals specifically for it and I hand stitched leather over the cracks in the upholstery. I don't want to have to say goodbye to it, now more than ever since their untimely stop in production. I'm ready to have it towed to my house to sit in the driveway and wait, until miraculously the part shows up.

Any ideas as to where I can find this part (both pigtails to and from the ignition control module for an 89')? Has anyone else experienced similar problems? The mechanic says that 89' was a particularly bad year for Rangers and I'm kicking myself now for not finding that out in advance.

Thanks for taking the time to read and advance thanks for any replies!

Amanda

Old 12-18-2011, 01:19 PM
19704X4F250
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Send me some pics of what you need. I just scrapped out a 90 ranger with a 4.0 and I may have the pig tails you need.

Old 12-18-2011, 01:56 PM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
There are literally hundreds of thousands of these rigs in wrecking yards, that will still have all the wiring intact. Salvage yards do not want to talk to people about small items as such, they don't bring in the $$.............Start looking yourself, you will be surprised how quick you will find what you need.

Old 12-18-2011, 02:01 PM
AmandaTexasRanger
New User
Thanks!

Mine is a 2.3L and if I remember correctly the engine size is important. I'm out of town but when I get home I'll get a picture of it. After Christmas most likely. I sure would like to get it fixed though so I really appreciate the offer!

Old 12-18-2011, 02:04 PM
AmandaTexasRanger
New User
Originally Posted by Old93junk
There are literally hundreds of thousands of these rigs in wrecking yards, that will still have all the wiring intact. Salvage yards do not want to talk to people about small items as such, they don't bring in the $$.............Start looking yourself, you will be surprised how quick you will find what you need.
Yeah good idea! I know the mechanic has called all the local yards and has a friend working on it too, if I can get outside of the city to some yards I'll look into it. Unless you think I should double check the local yards too?

Old 12-18-2011, 02:15 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I am parting out an 87 and a 86. Is yours Auto trans? The junk yard is still your best bet. If Numberdummy chimes in he has the resources to see if there is any OEM left.

It would be faster to just rewire it with an electrical connector kit. I would think any repair shop could do that. It would be time consuming tho.

Old 12-18-2011, 05:07 PM
AmandaTexasRanger
New User
It's a standard. My mechanic said that because of the year of the truck the only compatible parts would come from an 89' or 90'. This is what's been causing so much trouble. Something about the 89' being a particularly bad year for the Ranger. I guess that the engine in was used for only a very short time. What's an OEM? I'll ask about the electrical connector kit, I know he already rewired some of the wires trying to bypass the connection altogether and that didn't work so there's a chance he wouldn't mind trying. Thanks for the info!!

Old 12-18-2011, 09:19 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Just a kit with an assortment of crimp/solder connectors to use to bypass the pigtail or build a new one.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:29 AM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by AmandaTexasRanger
It's a standard. My mechanic said that because of the year of the truck the only compatible parts would come from an 89' or 90'. This is what's been causing so much trouble. Something about the 89' being a particularly bad year for the Ranger. I guess that the engine in was used for only a very short time. What's an OEM? I'll ask about the electrical connector kit, I know he already rewired some of the wires trying to bypass the connection altogether and that didn't work so there's a chance he wouldn't mind trying. Thanks for the info!!
OEM=Original equipment manufacturer (the original part)
I agree with Arctic Y block, NumberDummy is going to be your saving grace here.

Old 12-19-2011, 11:56 AM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
I got a PM from ND. Said that Ford has nothing. So he will have to go with junk yard or build one himself.

Old 12-19-2011, 01:39 PM
AmandaTexasRanger
New User
Originally Posted by arctic y block
I got a PM from ND. Said that Ford has nothing. So he will have to go with junk yard or build one himself.
That's disappointing. Let him know I appreciate the effort. I'll keep trying, it'll turn up eventually. Fingers crossed.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:06 PM
Phinxter
Posting Guru
go to rockauto.com. I found Igntion control module pigtails there, not many left.
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1190895

Old 12-19-2011, 06:14 PM
AmandaTexasRanger
New User
Originally Posted by Phinxter
go to rockauto.com. I found Igntion control module pigtails there, not many left.
More Information for AIRTEX / WELLS 1P1116
Thank you! I'm going to call the mechanic in the morning. I looked through there and nothing seems to look like what the part in the truck looks like...I remember it having quite a few wires. But then again I haven't seen it in three months. Seems to be a promising lead though!

Old 12-19-2011, 06:19 PM
AmandaTexasRanger
New User
Originally Posted by AmandaTexasRanger
Thank you! I'm going to call the mechanic in the morning. I looked through there and nothing seems to look like what the part in the truck looks like...I remember it having quite a few wires. But then again I haven't seen it in three months. Seems to be a promising lead though!
Oh I see now, the one you linked to does have more than 3 or 4 wires. Hmmm. Regardless, I'll let the mechanic find it but this is seriously exciting. Thanks!

Old 12-19-2011, 07:59 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
I'm not seeing anything about the fuel filter(s) being replaced.

Josh

Quick Reply: 89' Ranger Out of Commission Forever?