6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

6.7L 103K! Cracked Valves and out of Warranty! What's Ford Gonna Do??

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 06:40 PM
fz1dave
Super Duty
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scary stuff and I hope it isn't the beginning of a trend for you guys. Once again, glad I have the 6.2.

Old 12-16-2011, 06:49 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
That's quite a story, and like everyone here I hope it proves to be an isolated incident. I also agree that you made out pretty well with Ford paying $10K for the damage. Clearly it's a manufacturing defect, but at the same time you were a few thousand past the warranty.

I wonder why they can't rebuild an engine after something like this happens. Is the cylinder wall that badly scored up?

Old 12-16-2011, 07:14 PM
Hdslider
Postmaster
I would imagine the cyl is tore up to far to do a bore job on it.but they could use a néw block, new pistons. And new head. But like anything these days the price of parts would get nuts real quick.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:47 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,446 Likes on 892 Posts
Originally Posted by NEMOTORCARS
I am glad Ford came though too! Regardless of miles at the end of the day it was only 8 months old and it was a manufactures defect, beyond my control. Still a Ford fan for life! Even though Ford customer service line is a script driven waste of a call, Ford came though in the end like they should have! My dealer walks on water in my book. They pounded Ford in an MMA match to take care of the customer and saved me $4,800 more they they had too.
I think it's fair to say that your dealership came through for you not Ford!

Ford should know that this valve issue is a manufacturing defect that should never happen and honor a full warranty repair no questions asked. Then I would say Ford came through for you!

Although one could argue this engine was out of warrenty I have to wonder how many miles back did this valve start to deteriate before a castrophic failure occurred.

Hope the second engine runs for many years to come.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:33 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Troy Buenger
Ford should know that this valve issue is a manufacturing defect that should never happen and honor a full warranty repair no questions asked. Then I would say Ford came through for you!
I get your point, Troy, but find me an example or precedent where an automotive manufacturer has covered all expenses for an out-of-warranty catastrophic failure. ANY manufacturer, not just Ford. Most warranties state that they warrant their product from defects in materials and workmanship for the period specified. Meaning quite literally that there could be hundreds of defects that show up after the warranty has expired and the manufacturer is never liable for them.

Now I'm not claiming to know the answer, but I've never seen it happen. Is there another manufacturer that regularly covers 100% of catastrophic failures after the warranty is up?

Old 12-16-2011, 09:38 PM
Glockin' Bob
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NEMOTORCARS
Running time=2431 Idle time=610. We plan on running 135k per year for the next 4-5 years, this motor should be able to do that. We will see how round two goes. I have a 2005 6.0L with 400k on it, on it's second set of heads, third set of head gaskets, third transmission, few egr valves, till I blocked it and so on. I don't think this one will be any where near the basket case the 6.0L was.
Does anyone happen to know if the "Running Time" includes the "Idle Time" time? In other words, if I started up a new engine and let it idle for 1 hour, would it show Running Time=1 Idle Time=1? I'm guessing that is the way it is set up, but that's only a guess.

I'd certainly expect this engine to go more than 2431 hours before bonking out. I get several times that from a tractor engine.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:43 PM
Dim Sum
Cargo Master
Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
Honda extended warranties for all of their auto trannies in the 2000-2002 V6 Honda Accords/Acura TLs to 105,000 or so miles and would often fix them after that under their goodwill policy. Honda is actually quite good at fixing problems with their vehicles out of warranty if its a known issue or if someone is a loyal owner.

That is one example, but there are many of car companies who really take care of their loyal customers. There have been several Toyota voluntary campaigns over the years to fix things they've done wrong. Its fairly common for both of those companies to extend warranties on items they view have a likelihood to fail.

I'm not saying Ford hasn't done this, but with this motor having just a hair over 100k and it being a brand new design, I'm surprised they gave the OP this much trouble. For me, it would be a no-brainer to fix it or assist with the costs.

Someone said a while ago (maybe it was you Tom?) that you build brand loyalty much better by fixing a customer's problem verses having a problem free product to start with.

The diesel market is looking at Ford and watching to see if they will fail. So far, it looks like the 6.7 is a hit. Time will tell (like they all say), but Ford has a lot on the line here.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:48 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Dim Sum
Honda extended warranties for all of their auto trannies in the 2000-2002 V6 Honda Accords/Acura TLs to 105,000 or so miles and would often fix them after that under their goodwill policy. Honda is actually quite good at fixing problems with their vehicles out of warranty if its a known issue or if someone is a loyal owner.
Okay, so under this goodwill policy would they pay 100%? Just curious, as Ford has a similar goodwill policy, but as we see above they don't pay for all of it.

Originally Posted by Dim Sum
Someone said a while ago (maybe it was you Tom?) that you build brand loyalty much better by fixing a customer's problem verses having a problem free product to start with.
I don't think that was me but I do firmly believe it. I think that's why Ford has a goodwill program in effect. But at the same time as you mentioned above, had they fixed it and paid 100% of all costs up front it would do more for the brand than anything else that they could do. I guess the point I was trying to make with Troy's post was that even though it's a manufacturing defect they're in no way obligated to pay for it because of the warranty terms. If it were my car company I would have covered this as well as Rick's truck for the simple reason that I believe the value of loyal customers can't be understated.

But I guess like all businesses there are professionals paid to look out for the financial best interests of the company. I would imagine that these are the people that figure warranty terms and prevent people like me from running a company bankrupt!

Old 12-16-2011, 10:03 PM
2006lariat
Lead Driver
Received 228 Likes on 62 Posts
this is what I was referring to in a PM to you Tom.

Old 12-16-2011, 10:29 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,446 Likes on 892 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy001
I get your point, Troy, but find me an example or precedent where an automotive manufacturer has covered all expenses for an out-of-warranty catastrophic failure. ANY manufacturer, not just Ford. Most warranties state that they warrant their product from defects in materials and workmanship for the period specified. Meaning quite literally that there could be hundreds of defects that show up after the warranty has expired and the manufacturer is never liable for them.

Now I'm not claiming to know the answer, but I've never seen it happen. Is there another manufacturer that regularly covers 100% of catastrophic failures after the warranty is up?
Example #1:
Chevrolet extended their warranty on their injectors up to 200k miles because they were known to be prone with issues. This move helped owners feel Chevrolet was behind their product beyond the warranty period to help mitigate the problem.

Old 12-16-2011, 11:25 PM
TRENT310
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Glockin' Bob
Does anyone happen to know if the "Running Time" includes the "Idle Time" time? In other words, if I started up a new engine and let it idle for 1 hour, would it show Running Time=1 Idle Time=1? I'm guessing that is the way it is set up, but that's only a guess.

I'd certainly expect this engine to go more than 2431 hours before bonking out. I get several times that from a tractor engine.
Engine hours is a total, Idle hours is a portion of the total hours. You can calculate your percentage that way.

Take note of it before and after you finish one trip, the Engine Hours will increment by the time the trip took and the Idle Hours will increment for a portion of that time or may not increment if it isn't a full hour's worth.

Old 12-16-2011, 11:45 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Troy Buenger
Example #1:
Chevrolet extended their warranty on their injectors up to 200k miles because they were known to be prone with issues. This move helped owners feel Chevrolet was behind their product beyond the warranty period to help mitigate the problem.
What model year(s) and how long did it take them to make this decision?

Old 12-17-2011, 12:19 AM
dieselsmoker
Senior User
great write up on ur experience. im glad it worker out for u. but wat ticks me off is that 13k to replace a motor for u guys but in canada it is 20k plus. man u guys get it easy

Old 12-17-2011, 01:10 AM
NEMOTORCARS
Junior User
Originally Posted by GCLL
It's ridiculous that it blew at 100k, but I would say you came out ahead with a new engine at those miles for $2k
I feel exactly the same way!

Old 12-17-2011, 01:24 AM
NEMOTORCARS
Junior User
Originally Posted by aaronbrace
These valve problems are ridiculous and making me extremely nervous. I just placed an order for a 2012 6.7L less than 2 weeks ago and had I read about these problems before I would not have placed it. I am seriously considering canceling the order and taking the hit on the deposit until Ford figures this out.

I read something about valves not being cured properly being the current thought behind why this is happening? If this is true do we know if this issue has been fixed for new trucks? Sometimes it is hard to get bad parts out of the supply chain.

It is crazy that the OP even had to fight to get this fixed. These engines should be warrantied much longer that 100k.

I know there has not been a lot of reports on this problem yet but these engines have not been around very long either. I have a bad feeling they are going to start to pour in over the next year.

---Aaron
After the whole experience, I would buy another one tomorrow. It an isolated case with only one out of 32 valves went bad. The extended warranty is only about 3% of the perchase price and a good investment. Even though I opted out because of the short time and high miles that I drive, it still would have paid for itself in this case. Ford sells just a powertrain warranty up to 125k miles that is half the price of the top plan with all the bells and whistles and it's worth it. We use our truck in a commercial application and run it real hard and max towing weight on a daily basis, the the engine was clean inside after a 100k and looked brand new, check out the pictures. We plan on running 130k per year plus on it for the next 5 years, so I will post anything that comes up.

Quick Reply: 6.7L 103K! Cracked Valves and out of Warranty! What's Ford Gonna Do??