6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Fuel Pressure Regulator Update Kit Install (Blue Spring)

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 06:42 AM
rayezra
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2112
I have a fuel leak from the top of my Regulator. I can't visualize the crack but when running, fuel is coming out of the top where you put the socket on.

I am the original owner. I did not recall the dealer ever working on the regulator and called them and they confirmed they never touched it, tho they said they tested the pressure and it is good. Not sure why it is leaking now.

My question. I have 2 blue dots on my regulator. I have attached the pic. Does this mean I have the upgraded spring? Heading down to the parts counter for the kit, but would be happy to just swap out the cap.

My truck is a 2006 with 68,000 miles on it.

Maybe I missed the answer - If you have blue painted dots on the fuel line nuts does this mean the blue spring is already done?

Old 08-08-2013, 01:04 PM
droffan
Senior User
thanks rusty...

great piece by piece thread....looks simple and not expensive

Old 08-10-2013, 12:22 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 410 Likes on 272 Posts
Originally Posted by rayezra
Maybe I missed the answer - If you have blue painted dots on the fuel line nuts does this mean the blue spring is already done?
Rob: I see your Q is a month plus old, did you get/find an answer? If not the answer is no, the blue dot(s) does not mean the spring was done...

Old 08-10-2013, 12:27 PM
rayezra
Senior User
Thank you my friend.

Old 08-11-2013, 04:51 PM
Ace_boy2786
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi, I am about to get to this on my 05, I just have to go out and get a turkey baster from the local publix or walmart, but I was wondering if I had to take off the intake tube (under the de-gas tube, above the radiator tube) or if it flexible enough to just twist/bend out of the way? I have an AFE Stage 2 intake and with it in I can't see the bottom of that tube and I really don't want to take out the battery, battery tray and intake (one piece) just to get to it if I don't have to.
Intake I have

any advice? TIA!

Old 08-11-2013, 05:43 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 410 Likes on 272 Posts
Originally Posted by Ace_boy2786
Hi, I am about to get to this on my 05, I just have to go out and get a turkey baster from the local publix or walmart, but I was wondering if I had to take off the intake tube (under the de-gas tube, above the radiator tube) or if it flexible enough to just twist/bend out of the way? I have an AFE Stage 2 intake and with it in I can't see the bottom of that tube and I really don't want to take out the battery, battery tray and intake (one piece) just to get to it if I don't have to.
Intake I have

any advice? TIA!
Yes, get a stock filter box and filter before you dust the turbo.

Old 11-09-2013, 09:34 PM
Blacksheep331
Freshman User
Ok, After reading this entire post, I have a couple questions that may or may not have been answered and I just didn't see them. I did this mod on a buddys 04 F350. The truck was leaking a lot of fuel around the housing and we have been told that this was the problem. So after buying the kit at our local dealership, with the new housing we installed everything. As far as my questions:

Rusty I believe you said don't over torque the housing bolts, why is that? Because the housing might break or does it have something to do with the spring be able to move back and forth..? I ask because after doing this, we cant seem to get the truck to crank and Im not sure if I have another issue to deal with. I will say there is fuel leaking around the filter cap but is that enough air to make the truck not crank? I tightened those bolts for the housing pretty good I wasn't even thinking about the spring... If not, is there any other issues you can think of that might be the problem? Im obviously hoping its something simple and stupid and Im just not seeing it.. TIA

Old 11-09-2013, 10:03 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts
Way to go RUUSTY over 55K Veiws

Them Bolts don't get overtorqed cause they in aluminum and will strip out easy

The Big thing is as the FPR Housing is Tightened you want to go evenly

Have you Cycled the Key on for a few 30 second Blasts to Purge the Air out

Sounds like you did if it Leaks at Cap

Was that truck a NO STart before the Spring Upgrade??????????????????????????????????

Old 11-09-2013, 10:04 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 135 Likes on 79 Posts
I just mentioned over torquing because with the Torx head screws it's possible to pull the threads in the housing. It does get some air in it during the install. That can be purged by flipping the key to run position 2-3 times for several seconds. If it's quiet where you are you can hear the fuel pump running and shut off after several seconds. Did you have any parts left over?

Old 11-09-2013, 10:11 PM
Blacksheep331
Freshman User
We purged it several times, even have the truck plugged in because it is very cold natured and just figured it would help heat everything up. And we had a greenish o-ring left over. I wasn't sure where it went but I think it goes where the main fuel like goes back into the adapter for the housing

Old 11-09-2013, 10:16 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Rusty Axlerod

. Did you have any parts left over?

UH OH!!! LOL

Old 11-09-2013, 10:58 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
If the original o-ring was ok that shouldn't be a problem but you might want to double check. If you had the filter cap off I've heard it said that might possibly leak air but not fuel. Might want to double check that, lube on the o-ring.

Only other issue I can think of is the wire harness to the fan clutch. It's just below the regulator cover and diesel can break down the insulation. If it shorts vRef voltage to the manifold it could cause a no-start.

Old 11-09-2013, 11:08 PM
Blacksheep331
Freshman User
Originally Posted by BLADE35

Them Bolts don't get overtorqed cause they in aluminum and will strip out easy

The Big thing is as the FPR Housing is Tightened you want to go evenly

Have you Cycled the Key on for a few 30 second Blasts to Purge the Air out

Sounds like you did if it Leaks at Cap

Was that truck a NO STart before the Spring Upgrade??????????????????????????????????
No it started, just took it a couple tries to finally get it running, the more it leaked either out of the cap or around the housing the harder it was to crank.

Originally Posted by Rusty Axlerod
If the original o-ring was ok that shouldn't be a problem but you might want to double check. If you had the filter cap off I've heard it said that might possibly leak air but not fuel. Might want to double check that, lube on the o-ring.

Only other issue I can think of is the wire harness to the fan clutch. It's just below the regulator cover and diesel can break down the insulation. If it shorts vRef voltage to the manifold it could cause a no-start.
I honestly didn't pay any attention to the wires under it, ill look at it.
would the fuel filter cap leaking fuel be enough to cause it not to crank at all?

Old 11-09-2013, 11:26 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Seem unlikely if everything else is working well but could be a contributing factor if there are other issues adding to the problem.

There's a good no-start thread in the Tech folder you may want to look through. There are many possible reasons for a no start/hard start and it might give you some ideas on other things to check.

Old 11-09-2013, 11:36 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by BLADE35
Hey that's kinda cool! Didn't even notice. I remember originally puttin this together. I stayed up way too late finishing it up, on a week night no less! Went to bed late and got up 0430 and went to work the next day. Good times Lots of good stuff has been added also.

Quick Reply: Fuel Pressure Regulator Update Kit Install (Blue Spring)