Dad's Truck Build - Page 75 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Dad's Truck Build

Old 09-23-2012, 09:46 PM
truckertrav
Elder User
truckertrav is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.truckertrav is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis View Post
Yep, me too. Been lots of work to get to this point, not to mention the expense, so I hope I like it.
Where's the optimist? Not the pessimist...

It looks GREAT and will sound GREAT.
Probably as good or better than the old Walker glass packs we ran in the late 60's.....Trav..

Old 09-23-2012, 09:48 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.
Got back to the clutch linkage today. Since I didn't have the bushings to finish it correctly back when I thought I was almost done I'd put the older, fairly worn bits back in. But, since I now have the time as well as the bushings I'm doing it correctly.

Basically what needed to be done was to ream three pieces out to take the Oilite bushings as the ID of the bushings fits the standard pins on the linkage, but the OD is too big. And, the Oilite bushings need to be shortened since I couldn't find them in the dimensions I needed so got the next size larger.

I got two of the three pieces reamed out to take the bushings via a press fit before running out of time. The new idler rod was easy to ream as it is fairly mild steel. But, the bearing area of the link from the z-bar to the release arm is very hard steel. And, since the hole was worn out of round it took some setup time to get it centered such that the larger hole would be round. By the time I got that done I'd run out of time so will have to do the third one later.

As for shortening the bushings, I've been wracking my brain to come up with a slick way of doing that, and think I've finally come up with a way to do it. The problem is that the bushings are somewhat fragile so you can't just chuck them in the lathe or put them in a vise. But, the plan is to take a piece of 1/4" strap about an 1" wide and 4" long. I'll put a hole in the center large enough for the body of the bushing to go through easily but not the flange, put the bushing on the table of the mill with the flange down, the strap on top of it, and clamp the strap to the table on each end. Then I can plunge-mill the bushing to the length needed.

But, if you have a better or easier idea I'd like to hear it. And, you have a day or so to come up with it as we are going up to see Dad tomorrow. Then I'll finish off the linkage on Tuesday and start on the rest of the stuff, inc starter, radiator and support, battery, seat, etc. Maybe this is the week?

Old 09-23-2012, 10:04 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by truckertrav View Post
Where's the optimist? Not the pessimist...

It looks GREAT and will sound GREAT.
Probably as good or better than the old Walker glass packs we ran in the late 60's.....Trav..
Good point - the glass is half full, not half empty.

Yep, I ran those blue Walkers on my 250 HP 348 in the '58 Impala. Dad couldn't understand why I took perfectly fine stock mufflers off it and put the glass packs on, but that thing sure sounded good backing down in 2nd. And, that was probably in '64 as i didn't get a car until I started my senior year.

As I think about it, Dad wouldn't understand why I took the fairly new aluminized single exhaust system off his pickup and put this Magnaflow single/dual system on. But, I wanted something about halfway between Rusty's way-loud tinny sound and Dad's OEM-quiet system. Hopefully that's what I have.

Old 09-23-2012, 10:18 PM
bruno2
Postmaster
bruno2 has a great reputation on FTE.bruno2 has a great reputation on FTE.bruno2 has a great reputation on FTE.bruno2 has a great reputation on FTE.bruno2 has a great reputation on FTE.
They sound a lot like the old glass packs or cherry bombs. They dont drone on the hwy like the flowmasters.

This might provide a soundsclip:
http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...13484534782813

Old 09-23-2012, 10:31 PM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder
85lebaront2 is a splendid one to behold85lebaront2 is a splendid one to behold85lebaront2 is a splendid one to behold85lebaront2 is a splendid one to behold85lebaront2 is a splendid one to behold85lebaront2 is a splendid one to behold
To quote someone at the Shelby convention in 1977 "Who needs a radio when you have a nice sounding stereo exhaust?" Hooker big tube (1 5/8" primarys) and Hooker Header Mufflers exiting just behind the doors. You could hear that 289 about 3 miles away at full throttle.

Old 09-23-2012, 10:40 PM
truckertrav
Elder User
truckertrav is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.truckertrav is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis View Post
Got back to the clutch linkage today. Since I didn't have the bushings to finish it correctly back when I thought I was almost done I'd put the older, fairly worn bits back in. But, since I now have the time as well as the bushings I'm doing it correctly.

Basically what needed to be done was to ream three pieces out to take the Oilite bushings as the ID of the bushings fits the standard pins on the linkage, but the OD is too big. And, the Oilite bushings need to be shortened since I couldn't find them in the dimensions I needed so got the next size larger.

I got two of the three pieces reamed out to take the bushings via a press fit before running out of time. The new idler rod was easy to ream as it is fairly mild steel. But, the bearing area of the link from the z-bar to the release arm is very hard steel. And, since the hole was worn out of round it took some setup time to get it centered such that the larger hole would be round. By the time I got that done I'd run out of time so will have to do the third one later.

As for shortening the bushings, I've been wracking my brain to come up with a slick way of doing that, and think I've finally come up with a way to do it. The problem is that the bushings are somewhat fragile so you can't just chuck them in the lathe or put them in a vise. But, the plan is to take a piece of 1/4" strap about an 1" wide and 4" long. I'll put a hole in the center large enough for the body of the bushing to go through easily but not the flange, put the bushing on the table of the mill with the flange down, the strap on top of it, and clamp the strap to the table on each end. Then I can plunge-mill the bushing to the length needed.

But, if you have a better or easier idea I'd like to hear it. And, you have a day or so to come up with it as we are going up to see Dad tomorrow. Then I'll finish off the linkage on Tuesday and start on the rest of the stuff, inc starter, radiator and support, battery, seat, etc. Maybe this is the week?
Sounds like it would work fine...But, keep in mind that I'm not even close to being called a machinist..Especially, a Plastic man.

I usually do something and find out later that there was an easier way..

Enjoy the time to see your Dad...What matters most is that you are going to physically get to hug him and tell him you love him...Trav...

Old 09-23-2012, 11:02 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by bruno2 View Post
They sound a lot like the old glass packs or cherry bombs. They dont drone on the hwy like the flowmasters.

This might provide a soundsclip:
http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...13484534782813
That's what I'm looking for - no drone. I want the sound to be low/deep at idle and under power, but to ease off if not disappear on the road.

But, the link isn't working for me at the moment. Maybe tomorrow as the site isn't responding so may be down for maintenance.

Originally Posted by 85lebaront2 View Post
To quote someone at the Shelby convention in 1977 "Who needs a radio when you have a nice sounding stereo exhaust?" Hooker big tube (1 5/8" primarys) and Hooker Header Mufflers exiting just behind the doors. You could hear that 289 about 3 miles away at full throttle.
That might be a tad loud for my tastes, today. But, I would have liked it back in the day, which was pretty much the same time as for you.

Originally Posted by truckertrav View Post
Sounds like it would work fine...But, keep in mind that I'm not even close to being called a machinist..Especially, a Plastic man.

I usually do something and find out later that there was an easier way..

Enjoy the time to see your Dad...What matters most is that you are going to physically get to hug him and tell him you love him...Trav...
I don't mind there being an easier way that comes up later. I just want a way that works and doesn't destroy the bushing. I ordered several extras, but....

As for Dad, as long as he knows who I am I'll keep going weekly. He no longer knows my name, but I'm pretty sure he knows who I am. He lights up when he sees me, and that is worth the 275 mile round trip.

Old 09-23-2012, 11:15 PM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder
85lebaront2 is a splendid one to behold85lebaront2 is a splendid one to behold85lebaront2 is a splendid one to behold85lebaront2 is a splendid one to behold85lebaront2 is a splendid one to behold85lebaront2 is a splendid one to behold
Actually, the Shelby wasn't too loud at cruise, nice mellow sound. At idle I got accused of being a big block Vette. It was only when you stood on it it really got loud. I like my stock exhaust on my truck, it doesn't sound shabby but won't kill you unless your in one of our tunnels in the right lane with the windows down, then uphill it has a nice drone, of course it's on;y turning around 1800rpm.

Old 09-23-2012, 11:23 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by 85lebaront2 View Post
Actually, the Shelby wasn't too loud at cruise, nice mellow sound. At idle I got accused of being a big block Vette. It was only when you stood on it it really got loud. I like my stock exhaust on my truck, it doesn't sound shabby but won't kill you unless your in one of our tunnels in the right lane with the windows down, then uphill it has a nice drone, of course it's on;y turning around 1800rpm.
I understand the tunnel thing. The night I bought the '69 Bee in Pittsburg I drove it back to the Philly area across the PA turnpike. And, in every one of the tunnels I backed off, shifted to 2nd, and ran it through the gears.

Old 09-23-2012, 11:59 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
[QUOTE=truckertrav;12301919]I'm not even close to being called a machinist.. A Plastic man./QUOTE]
Sorry, I missed that before. Now I'm seeing Dustin Hoffman and he's a Graduate.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:39 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
It Runs!

Got the radiator support, radiator, and coolant on/in today, and started the truck. It sounds good with the Magnaflow: Magnaflow - YouTube

And, here's what it sounded like with the Flushmaster. Can you say "tractor"? Gary's New 351M - YouTube

Haven't really "driven" it yet since I ran out of time, but I did move it around in the shop with its own power to get it lined up with the door. I don't know what the guy that parked had been drinking, but I want some of it.

Tomorrow I plan to put the seat & seat belts in, hook up the electric choke, top off the coolant, and take it for a spin. Oh, maybe I should put a ratchet strap on that thing on the bed first?

Old 09-26-2012, 09:46 PM
truckertrav
Elder User
Sounds good.. Nothing like sitting on a bucket and actually moving it under it's own power.

Can you say "Oh Yeah"...Trav...

Old 09-26-2012, 10:10 PM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster
Fordzilla80 is a name known to allFordzilla80 is a name known to allFordzilla80 is a name known to allFordzilla80 is a name known to allFordzilla80 is a name known to allFordzilla80 is a name known to all
Maybe I'm too young, maybe I'm weird, or maybe I'm just too used to cammed 300's and Farmall tractors.

But I think the Flushmaster sounds better than the Magnaflow. Then again, video quality is nothing compared to in person quality.

Old 09-26-2012, 11:04 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by Fordzilla80 View Post
Maybe I'm too young, maybe I'm weird, or maybe I'm just too used to cammed 300's and Farmall tractors.

But I think the Flushmaster sounds better than the Magnaflow. Then again, video quality is nothing compared to in person quality.
I thought I liked the Flushmaster when I bought the truck, but it didn't take very long driving it to get over that. However, I thought the sound went away above 45 MPH - until I swapped the tires with the quieter ones I'd put on Dad's truck. Turns out the tires were making so much noise that you couldn't hear the exhaust.

It is possible I went too quiet, but I didn't like the raw, gutteral sound of the Flowmaster. I'm hoping the Magnaflow will have a deep, low sound that is mellow.

Old 09-26-2012, 11:14 PM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster
Fordzilla80 is a name known to allFordzilla80 is a name known to allFordzilla80 is a name known to allFordzilla80 is a name known to allFordzilla80 is a name known to allFordzilla80 is a name known to all
I think I'm just too used to my old 300. I swear it was bored and cammed, but I didn't have any precise tools to measure it back when I tore it down. It never did sound like any of the other 300's, it sounded more like an old 30's tractor. I know the hollow cat, 3 feet of pipe, and the 2ft glasspack didn't help, but that sucker sounded mean.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dad's Truck Build

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.