Tinman's '51 Cabover lowbuck build - Page 5 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Tinman's '51 Cabover lowbuck build

Old 03-11-2012, 12:42 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
bobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant future
You're doing great work.
Builds like this inspire me. I recently got involved (I'm still not sure how) in helping my buddy. He wanted to install a 1956 Packard Clipper dash into his 1958 Packard. It was pretty nerve wracking taking a cut off wheel to a pristine dash and lopping off a couple of inches from both sides.
I've got the dash roughed in on the 58, now I got to trim it up and make the ends look good. Reading your posts and watching your work has helped me.

Thanks
Bobby

Old 03-11-2012, 12:53 PM
birdman1
Elder User
birdman1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Can't wait for more pics--that will be a great truck--I thought one time that if we were as thrifty when we had money on hand as we are when we were broke, we would always have more money. You just come up with money saving ideas easier when you are low on money
Mike

Old 03-17-2012, 11:49 PM
tinman52
Welder User
tinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputation
I got the roof panel trimmed up and clamped down where I wanted it.....I had to flange the joint most of the way around. It takes a lot of dinking around to get these just right.....the trick is not to put any tension on that big flat panel.Name:  DSCN1800.jpg
Views: 673
Size:  36.8 KB

Once I got it securely tack welded all the way around, I made the filler pieces for the sides. I still have some more welding ahead of me... It is a slow process as I don't want to warp that big low crown panel.

Name:  DSCN1803.jpg
Views: 672
Size:  48.8 KB

Old 03-18-2012, 03:45 AM
barnfind 51
Senior User
barnfind 51 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hey Tinman looking good!! When you cut your doner roof panel did you lay on top and scribe the old top? I have seen where they use clecos to hold the panel in place to weld.Nice job well done.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:07 AM
jaye
Posting Guru
jaye is starting off with a positive reputation.
Tinman you are doing a great job. Everytime I look at your posts I start from the beginning, I love seeing your progress over time, things seem to fit into place perfectly. You have mad skills..

Old 03-18-2012, 12:27 PM
tinman52
Welder User
tinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by barnfind 51 View Post
Hey Tinman looking good!! When you cut your doner roof panel did you lay on top and scribe the old top? I have seen where they use clecos to hold the panel in place to weld.Nice job well done.
When I cut the roof from a donor car, I just cut it as big as possible. Then trim it down close to the final shape. I then lay it on top of the opening and mark the shape. Keep trimming a little at a time till I get it to fit.
The side filler pieces I used are some "extra" metal from the edges of the donor roof...

Old 05-02-2012, 11:51 PM
tinman52
Welder User
Been a while since I updated this thread.....finally made some progress.

I got the roof all welded up and made my drip rails.....
Spent some time grinding and did some finish bodywork, then sprayed some primer!
It's finally starting to look like something! I may even paint it if I have some extra time...
A couple pics....

Name:  DSCN1869.jpg
Views: 681
Size:  78.8 KB

Name:  DSCN1867.jpg
Views: 698
Size:  65.4 KB

Old 05-02-2012, 11:53 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Postmaster
Jeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud of
Wow Scott! That looks great! Geez I need some space like that...

Old 05-03-2012, 12:13 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Post Fiend
ALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputation
I think your quarter windows are the best I've seen on any extended cab project -- they look factory!

Old 05-03-2012, 01:04 AM
Ravenheart
Senior User
Ravenheart is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
You sure it's not another photoshop trick?

Really great work!

Old 05-03-2012, 01:18 AM
AXracer
Post Fiend
AXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud of
Scott, have you considered enlarging the back window vertically to match the height of the side windows? I think it would be the final detail to make it look like a phantom factory model. I realize the factory made them that size, but I've always thought they looked too small. The sides are perfect.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:23 PM
tinman52
Welder User
Even more progress.....

After seam sealing the drip rails, I decided to sand it down and paint it.

After a trip to Wally World for some Krylon, here is the result. The color match isn't quite perfect, but close enough for now.

Name:  DSCN1885.jpg
Views: 673
Size:  94.0 KB

Below is v8steel's photoshop'd picture....not a lot of difference.

Name:  x003.jpg
Views: 667
Size:  34.2 KB

Couple other angles....

Name:  DSCN1888.jpg
Views: 688
Size:  80.4 KB

Name:  DSCN1887.jpg
Views: 697
Size:  77.4 KB

Old 05-12-2012, 01:07 AM
NtShade
Senior User
NtShade is starting off with a positive reputation.
When you get done come to Texas and help me LOL

Old 05-12-2012, 09:25 AM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
arctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputation
Beautiful budget work. You are now a Master.

I also think a bigger back window would go well with this build.
Maybe even a wrap around one.

Maybe your bud could Photoshop one into the last pic.
Ya I know. Your done with the cab, Right?

Old 05-12-2012, 09:42 AM
AXracer
Post Fiend
AXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud of
Your quarter windows are much better than the photochop ones!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tinman's '51 Cabover lowbuck build

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.