Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Tinman's '51 Cabover lowbuck build

Old 02-04-2012, 10:39 PM
tinman52
Welder User
tinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by 52 Merc View Post
Scott, if you still need cut-upable sheet metal, roof, doors, etc., keep me in mind. I've got a cab with a good top and a rotted away bottom ready to cut up, and a heck of a lot closer than Ilya.
Thanks Wayne, I wish I would have used a better back panel.....oh well, too late now. I may need some drip rail when I get to that point, I'll keep you in mind.

Ross, the flip out window is a good idea......might be too modern looking though.

Old 02-04-2012, 10:51 PM
52 Merc
Post Fiend
52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of
Too bad about your back panel, I do have a peachy one still that came from the '52 grey truck. And I do have some drip rail, too. Let me know.

Old 02-09-2012, 10:55 PM
tinman52
Welder User
tinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputation
winders

Been playing around with the side windows......I think I got the size and shape that I want. Screwed them in temporarily till I decide for sure. I'm trying to keep this as simple as possible and use what I have laying around.....

Been kicking around the Idea of having the windows flip open, but it seems like a lot of extra work. Again, K.I.S.S........

Name:  DSCN1779.jpg
Views: 1029
Size:  53.6 KB

Name:  DSCN1782.jpg
Views: 1029
Size:  51.3 KB

Name:  DSCN1778.jpg
Views: 1025
Size:  57.6 KB

Old 02-09-2012, 11:48 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all
Looking good! If you can stretch a cab, you should be able to install flip open windows. I'm sure that you can go to your local pull it apart yard and pull two flip open windows form a van or truck just for the hardware.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:11 PM
tinman52
Welder User
little update......I haven't had much time to work on this lately. But I did some body work on the lower sides while it was still up on the cart, then set the cab down on the floor to start on the roof....

Name:  DSCN1789.jpg
Views: 1024
Size:  45.8 KB

First thing is to straighten out the edges of the existing roof before I cut the center out.The PO lifted the cab with a cable thru the door openings, so I had that damage to fix. I removed the bent up drip rails and got the right side looking pretty good. The left side is much worse....

Old 03-07-2012, 10:36 PM
iwanaflattie
Posting Guru
iwanaflattie has a good reputation on FTE.iwanaflattie has a good reputation on FTE.
Wow Scott you been busy..
you got mad skills.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:22 PM
thepitshop
Elder User
thepitshop is a splendid one to beholdthepitshop is a splendid one to beholdthepitshop is a splendid one to beholdthepitshop is a splendid one to beholdthepitshop is a splendid one to beholdthepitshop is a splendid one to beholdthepitshop is a splendid one to beholdthepitshop is a splendid one to behold
Scott, many people when adding extra rear doors or extending the cab screw up the look when adding the rear window openings, you nailed it!!! looks awesome, keep up the good work!!

Old 03-08-2012, 01:57 PM
tinman52
Welder User
Originally Posted by thepitshop View Post
Scott, many people when adding extra rear doors or extending the cab screw up the look when adding the rear window openings
I agree 100%.......I have seen some that were horrible. I spent a lot of time trying to get the shape I wanted.
Doing the same thing now with the roof panel.....trying to find one not too flat, not too rounded........

Old 03-10-2012, 09:30 AM
tinman52
Welder User
Roof, Roof.....

Wow, my 1000th post.....what's my prize?

Time to start on the roof....the coe's roof is a mess. Looks like it was walked on, then hammered back out. So instead of trying to weld together 3 pieces of bent up metal, I will use a roof skin from a different car.

Name:  DSCN1793.jpg
Views: 1023
Size:  51.4 KB

I cut the center out of the roof because it was stretched and resembled a dome. The new piece will be blended into the edges.

Name:  DSCN1794.jpg
Views: 1025
Size:  49.7 KB

The trick is finding a skin with the right crown....60's cars work well. I had a '59 chevy roof laying around, so I will use it. The price was right....this is low buck, remember?
After much trimming I got it looking pretty good......

Name:  DSCN1797.jpg
Views: 1016
Size:  41.8 KB

That still leaves some gaps above the 1/4 wimows, but I will fill those with some left over curved metal scraps...

Name:  DSCN1798.jpg
Views: 1032
Size:  52.7 KB

Old 03-10-2012, 11:17 AM
NtShade
Senior User
NtShade is starting off with a positive reputation.
Making progress and it's looking better every post.

Old 03-10-2012, 11:46 AM
Jeff and Nicolle
Postmaster
Jeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud of
Looks like a lot of work, but really cool and rewarding! I like it!

Old 03-10-2012, 12:19 PM
Moe Craig
Postmaster
Moe Craig has a great reputation on FTE.Moe Craig has a great reputation on FTE.Moe Craig has a great reputation on FTE.Moe Craig has a great reputation on FTE.Moe Craig has a great reputation on FTE.Moe Craig has a great reputation on FTE.
Great progress... Keep it up

Old 03-10-2012, 01:00 PM
barnfind 51
Senior User
barnfind 51 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Tinman looks great!! Are going to post how you join the two? This metal shapeing sure is a art to do I want to do some not ready for what you are doing but some floors and cab corners to begin with. You got the skills man.

Old 03-10-2012, 04:48 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
underthebridgejim has a superb reputationunderthebridgejim has a superb reputationunderthebridgejim has a superb reputationunderthebridgejim has a superb reputationunderthebridgejim has a superb reputationunderthebridgejim has a superb reputationunderthebridgejim has a superb reputationunderthebridgejim has a superb reputationunderthebridgejim has a superb reputationunderthebridgejim has a superb reputationunderthebridgejim has a superb reputation
Hi Scott, its fasinating for beginners like myself to watch a true artist like you, perform your skills. There are so many of us that are inspired, and edgucated by wathching a project like yours as it progresses. Thank you for sharing your work.

Old 03-10-2012, 11:16 PM
tinman52
Welder User
Originally Posted by barnfind 51 View Post
This metal shapeing sure is a art to do I want to do some not ready for what you are doing but some floors and cab corners to begin with.
Thank you all for your interest and kind words.......it keeps me moving forward.

Don't be afraid to try it yourself......I am self taught. It is mostly common sense and patience. And practice...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tinman's '51 Cabover lowbuck build

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.