1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Questions for the M-H guys

Old 12-11-2011, 02:45 PM
F4WineGuy
Junior User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions for the M-H guys

Been doing some looking into the M-H conversions for the old trucks. I'd really like to have 4 wheel drive on my winery truck. Wouldn't need it all the time, but it would definitely be nice to have, i guess my question is how practical are they to use nowadays? Are they really just more for show trucks or is it reasonable to have the set up on a working truck?

And secondly, is there a good place to look for the parts to convert the truck I have or is it just easier to find a whole donor truck and go from there?

Old 12-11-2011, 03:33 PM
1952henry
Fleet Mechanic
Received 151 Likes on 91 Posts
My guess is to find a donor truck, that way you would have everything. Chuck of Chuck's Trucks would be a parts source.

As far as practical, probably not. An F1, maybe, but the 3/4 tons and larger are geared very low=low speed. Also, these are 50+ years old. Some parts, such as brake drums, are very hard to find. So, even if items like these are still serviceable now, with regular use, they won't be. That could put you in a bind. I'm guessing you will hear other opinions.

Old 12-11-2011, 03:46 PM
F4WineGuy
Junior User

I had heard of Chuck's and knew he would probably be a good resource. I'm guessing that I might be able to find some old oilfield trucks around to use as donor trucks. How much would have to be replaced from the donor to my truck?

Old 12-11-2011, 04:38 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 258 Likes on 213 Posts
I think this depends on how the truck is to be used. I agree that a donor truck would be required, or maybe would even be a replacement for your current truck. If you decided, also, you could move your existed body and bed to the M-H chassis. Moving the M-H components to your chassis would be more involved. For instance, the transmission cross member would have been modified to allow the front drive shaft to clear.

I very much doubt you'll find an F-4 M-H donor (Model R4-4), and if you do you'll be required to CALL ME. I've never seen one, and have heard of a total of ONE. Our M-H friend Rod K. knows of it, has tried and failed to buy it, and won't tell me where it is. On the other hand, there are a good number of M-H F-5s and F-6s out there going unclaimed. If I recall past discussions, your truck would be asked to carry loads of grapes, and perhaps barrels of wine. You'd simply have to watch that you don't exceed the load limits of whichever model you find.

Like Owen (1952henry) said, the F-2/3 front drums are made of "unobtainium", but I believe the F-4/5/6 front drums are standard Ford items. We can check that for you if you want. Chuck has told me that the F-5 and larger models are built to handle just about any task and seldom break the critical M-H components as can occur on the F-1/2/3 models. On the F-2/3 models, for instance, axle and frame fractures from past abuse are common.

Owen is right that they will all be geared at the lowest available ratio for the respective model. Your F-4, for instance, could have either the 5.14 or 5.83/1 final drive ratio, while an F-4 M-H would have the 5.83 and an F-5 M-H would have a 6.67/1 ratio. So it depends on whether you'll be asking the truck to travel on busy highways, or simply provide its service on site or on secondary roads.

Chuck is your best resource for M-H and other big truck information, and is also an excellent resource for your regular F-4 parts. Chuck has a relationship with Job Lot Automotive in NY and can sell parts for the same prices Job Lot charges. Below is the link to Chuck's web site. Stu

Chucks Trucks LLC., Chuck's Trucks, Chucks Trucks

Old 12-11-2011, 05:31 PM
thundersnow70
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Stu, if we take price and parts availability out of the picture, would that coleman sitting at the scrap yard be a good donor? what was that? f5? finding a old snow-go would probably be cheaper and easier going the cl route.

Old 12-11-2011, 05:41 PM
F4WineGuy
Junior User

Is the 4 wheel drive full time? or can you pull it out of 4 wheel and use it as a 2 wheel drive truck. I think my F4 already has the lower geared axle on it and I had planned to find a brownie box to put in it to make a little better speed. Does this seem like it would work?

Old 12-11-2011, 05:43 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Coleman's are even rarer than M-Hs, so wouldn't be something that I'd want to count on finding parts for. Old Snogos are real common, but to my understanding (from reading Chuck's comments) they have underdrive auxiliary transmissions that radically lower the final drive ratio. That'd have to be removed. Otherwise a Snogo is a good option. Commonly owned by airports or road departments and well maintained. And low miles.

Edit - the hubs stay engaged but the case can be engaged or disengaged. Don't know whether you'd have room for the brownie with the M-H transfer case under there. Might take the same space as the Snogo underdrive hardware. Stu

Old 12-11-2011, 07:08 PM
thundersnow70
Fleet Mechanic
there is a nice looking 53 f500 MH out in maine on CL. has a dump box, looks pretty good. shipping would kill ya. be a hellofa road trip back to the west coast if you decided to drive it home.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:17 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
MH's tend to be pretty spendy, and in my opinion more of show than use. If you're looking for 4x4, why not swap in some newer axles? Be much cheaper, and you have your choice of what you want it to do. Disc brakes is also a plus. Most are geared around 4.10.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:20 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Yeah, there's that one in Maine, and a '50 Snogo in Boise that is said to run good. There's also a '51 F-1 that's in 1000 pieces in Las Cruces. And there's Petey Shoes '42 that's a running/driving truck. Stu

1953 ford marmon harrington
*****Highway Rotary Snowblower
1951 Ford 4 WD Mormon Harrington
1942 ford marmon herrington awd

Old 12-11-2011, 07:31 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts
AFAIK, the one's in Rice Lake, WI are still available... 1942 body style. They are bigger trucks like the F6 of later years.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:51 PM
thundersnow70
Fleet Mechanic
Stephen, i have had that conversation with myself a hundred times. i doubt mine will every be show trucks. if they ever get under there own power they might go to a show but i doubt they will be trailer queens. maybe the f3, but the f2 needs a ton of work and money. i have threatened to get one running and go beat the weeeee out of it in a mud hole, but in the back of my mind i think if that axle breaks or the t-case bites the dust i would be screwed. these trucks have lived a hard enough life already so i think mine will be retired for shows and maybe a little snow. i have spare parts for the 60 so that will be the party truck until a front axle or t-case goes, then that will get fixed and retired to i guess. i also see Terry has another one on ebay. a 48 f1 i think. cheaper than that 51 and his is put together. Stu, i just noticed that 51 is a mOrman herrington. that must be why its so spendy, alot like my merryman herringbone f2!

Old 12-12-2011, 04:36 AM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Originally Posted by thundersnow70
Stephen, i have had that conversation with myself a hundred times. i doubt mine will every be show trucks. if they ever get under there own power they might go to a show but i doubt they will be trailer queens. maybe the f3, but the f2 needs a ton of work and money. i have threatened to get one running and go beat the weeeee out of it in a mud hole, but in the back of my mind i think if that axle breaks or the t-case bites the dust i would be screwed. these trucks have lived a hard enough life already so i think mine will be retired for shows and maybe a little snow. i have spare parts for the 60 so that will be the party truck until a front axle or t-case goes, then that will get fixed and retired to i guess. i also see Terry has another one on ebay. a 48 f1 i think. cheaper than that 51 and his is put together. Stu, i just noticed that 51 is a mOrman herrington. that must be why its so spendy, alot like my merryman herringbone f2!
Mark - You're right that the reason not to make light duty M-Hs work like intended is their value, and lack of repair bits. In the case of the half tons, the guys who are doing the Barrett Jackson level recreations of M-H woodies make drive train components golden. And with the 3/4 tons, there's so few left that finding repair bits is a real task. You and I are living that life. Stu

Old 12-12-2011, 08:04 AM
petey shoes
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
have a 42 sno-go that i did a frame off resto on, about 20 years ago. i used this on a regular basis in winter, and sometimes during summer. have never broken any major parts. it's pretty darn tough! have spare driveline---just in case. removed underdrive, have transfer with front axle lockout. (there are two different transfer cases--one is full time, one has front axle lockout). long trips with this are 60 miles one way. can't be in hurry, 45-50 mph on top end. with underdrive removed, there is plenty of room for aux. trans.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:27 AM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
There was This 51 F5 MH Snogo near Twin Falls Idaho.

of course when I saw it this spring it was just the Chassis and Cab, everything else had been removed I guess. I can't remember what they wanted for it at the time but was probably a good deal??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Questions for the M-H guys