Sponsored by:

12,500 lb winch for $399.99 ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 08:18 PM
housedad
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by njneer1
If it pops off the frame rails and jerks the front bumper off it will give me a reason to get one like yours !!!!

That's the spirit !!!!

Old 12-11-2011, 08:24 PM
housedad
Cargo Master
Actually, stuck in the mud it can get far worse. The weight of your vehicle if stuck up to the rims. Twice the weight of your vehicle if up to the hubs. 3 times the weight of the vehicle if up to the body. and then compound it if there is any grade at all.

Just stay clear of deep mud!!! (you should anyway!) Everywhere else should be fine.

The link below is a fun read about recovery towing

Pirate4x4.Com - Extreme Four Wheel Drive

Old 12-11-2011, 08:34 PM
housedad
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by njneer1
I know.....but theoretically........with a 9k lb rating....and my Ex were standing on the back bumper it would lift it right off the ground with room to spare......stuck in the mud with rolling wheels should be much less........an angled pull would worry me most !
If it is designed like most.....it is rated with a 0.75 SF (safety factor)......meaning it is really 12k.....and down rated to 9k. Even if it's not the standard 0.75.....it has to have some SF

I would agree about a safety factor in the reciever you are looking at. God only knows what it is. I guess you could email reese or curt and ask them.

One other thing, since you mention safety factors. Almost evrything you will buy for the winch has a rating or weight capability stated for it. In most cases, that is the Yield rating. No safety factor.

When they say a shackle or wire rope is able to handle 16000lbs, you can bet that is the breaking point.

I chose all of my recovery equipment and accessories to have a higher yield rating than my winch rope. Since I have a synthetic rope that is rated much higher than my winch, then I hope the winch will stall first. If something breaks, it will be the rope first. Synthetic ropes do not whip back with deadly force like wire ropes when they break

I don't know if you ever saw my recovery gear, but it is shown in various places throughout the following thread:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...fications.html

Old 12-11-2011, 08:42 PM
njneer1
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
True......I noticed that.......I have also noticed that most of the better winch accessory kits have the blanket for the cable in case the cable fails. I'd love to have the synthetic rope.......high dollar !

Old 12-11-2011, 09:10 PM
njneer1
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by housedad
Actually, stuck in the mud it can get far worse. The weight of your vehicle if stuck up to the rims. Twice the weight of your vehicle if up to the hubs. 3 times the weight of the vehicle if up to the body. and then compound it if there is any grade at all.

Just stay clear of deep mud!!! (you should anyway!) Everywhere else should be fine.

The link below is a fun read about recovery towing

Pirate4x4.Com - Extreme Four Wheel Drive

Good info !.....Thanks for the link .....great reference material ! .the "mire" above assumes the wheels are unable to move "damage resistance" included

Old 12-12-2011, 12:45 AM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
I like the Engo model in that write up...it's only 10000 lb, but considering the front receivers (not custom bumpers, but receivers) are only rated to 9000lbs...and it only runs 349.99

Old 05-21-2012, 04:21 PM
bigzirb
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So has anyone actually hit one of these winches in a torture test yet. I am waiting until a fellow FTE'r buries their ride and unsticks it without frying the winch before I get one. Thanks in advance if anyone has used it and posts updates.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:56 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,897 Likes on 1,145 Posts
Originally Posted by bigzirb
So has anyone actually hit one of these winches in a torture test yet. I am waiting until a fellow FTE'r buries their ride and unsticks it without frying the winch before I get one. Thanks in advance if anyone has used it and posts updates.
I have a 9k Badlands winch (it was $249 at introduction ) on my 4Runner and have used it a few times rockcrawling. No issues yet, but I typically just winch over an obstacle I can't drive over - so not nearly the torture of dragging an X 150ft out of a mud hole or back up the side of a steep drop off.

As far as frying the winch, get the HF warranty. Doesn't mean you'll get home that day - but you can at least sell the replacement winch and get a WARN!

Old 05-25-2012, 08:15 PM
nzirbel
More Turbo

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The 2 best pieces of advice I got when shopping for a winch:

1) You will never hear someone with a Warn on the trail,should it happen to break, say they should have gotten the Badlands winch.

2) Any winch is better than none at all!

I went with a Superwinch and have no regrets. If you arent going to rely on it a lot see #2. I have also found that once you have one you find all kind of things to do with it

Old 06-03-2012, 06:12 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
This months HF 'super coupons' have the 12k Badlands winch on sale for $339.99

Display

Old 12-13-2012, 12:57 AM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
Badlands 12k is currently on sale at HF for $299.99

Old 12-13-2012, 01:51 AM
jazz77
Senior User
Originally Posted by Nicmike
local or online?

Old 12-13-2012, 02:53 AM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
Both...I have the coupon, so you can do either. It went out in their weekly circular.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:51 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Nicmike
Yep, I saw that...

I've used my 9k lb winch a dozen times or so now. I don't have enough battery for a long pull, when voltage drops enough - it stalls. Otherwise, no complaints except my confidence will certainly get me in trouble eventually. We go places we would have never gone before and pick lines that are sometimes ridiculous - because I 'have a winch'... After 'wheelin for basically 30yrs w/no winch, I suddenly feel invincible! Surely, this will change when I get in a bind somewhere and spend all day recovering my junk from a bad spot!

Old 12-13-2012, 08:49 AM
BroncoRN
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SkySkiJason
Yep, I saw that...

I've used my 9k lb winch a dozen times or so now. I don't have enough battery for a long pull, when voltage drops enough - it stalls. Otherwise, no complaints except my confidence will certainly get me in trouble eventually. We go places we would have never gone before and pick lines that are sometimes ridiculous - because I 'have a winch'... After 'wheelin for basically 30yrs w/no winch, I suddenly feel invincible! Surely, this will change when I get in a bind somewhere and spend all day recovering my junk from a bad spot!
Do you have a deep cell to power the winch?

Quick Reply: 12,500 lb winch for $399.99 ?