How do I get my truck ready to paint?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 04:50 PM
brcrk
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do I get my truck ready to paint?

I know I have asked something similar to this question before...but I have something else to ask....

I want to get my truck ready for my uncle to spray...I want to do all the body-work myself to save some money.

Where do I begin????????????...LOL

Anyway I was wondering if I could use my DeWalt sander:

and use 320 grit sand paper to get started sanding the truck? Is this too course of paper to start out with?

If not, what grit paper do I follow with before I shoot the primer?

After the primer what grit do I follow that with and should it be wet or dry before I shoot the color?

Thanks

Tim

Old 12-09-2011, 06:11 PM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Please read some body and paint books on how-to prep a vehicle before you start. I know you can do it, but there are alot of books and videos ,maybe youtube to check out. Then always take your time and be careful, and wear a respirator.

Old 12-09-2011, 06:33 PM
Grubbworm
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by brcrk
I know I have asked something similar to this question before...but I have something else to ask....

I want to get my truck ready for my uncle to spray...I want to do all the body-work myself to save some money.

Where do I begin????????????...LOL

Anyway I was wondering if I could use my DeWalt sander:

and use 320 grit sand paper to get started sanding the truck? Is this too course of paper to start out with?

If not, what grit paper do I follow with before I shoot the primer?

After the primer what grit do I follow that with and should it be wet or dry before I shoot the color?

Thanks

Tim
Tim, I would have to agree with Walford. I would as well look at a good paint forum, like this one in our neck of the woods.
SPI User Forums
I have been using some of their products on my truck. Their products are of good quality and a fair price, and they are located in BallGround. The first two batches of product I purchased through a local collision supply house, but I may buy direct the next time. Here is a link to their website;
Home

I have been teaching myself how to do the body work and paint prep on my truck. I started this spring, but have been progressing as time and money come along. As far as your sander, I have been using my Rigid palm sander as necessary. Along with whatever tools that I have to the job. Here is a link to my project; https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...l#post11134273
I have been making posts on the different things that I am doing to my truck as I go along, some of which is about paint and body work. Good luck with your project.

By the way, where in the mountains are you? I am in Acworth, on Lake Allatoona, near I-75.

Old 12-10-2011, 04:46 AM
brcrk
Senior User
Originally Posted by Grubbworm
Tim, I would have to agree with Walford. I would as well look at a good paint forum, like this one in our neck of the woods.
SPI User Forums
I have been using some of their products on my truck. Their products are of good quality and a fair price, and they are located in BallGround. The first two batches of product I purchased through a local collision supply house, but I may buy direct the next time. Here is a link to their website;
Home

I have been teaching myself how to do the body work and paint prep on my truck. I started this spring, but have been progressing as time and money come along. As far as your sander, I have been using my Rigid palm sander as necessary. Along with whatever tools that I have to the job. Here is a link to my project; https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...l#post11134273
I have been making posts on the different things that I am doing to my truck as I go along, some of which is about paint and body work. Good luck with your project.

By the way, where in the mountains are you? I am in Acworth, on Lake Allatoona, near I-75.
Hey Dave...thanks for those links..i will check them out today. You answer the important question i was wondering about;the use of the electric sander.

We're up 985/365/441 'bout 90 miles north east of Atl in Toccoa at the foot of the Chattahoochee National Forest in the Blue Ridge Mnts.

Old 12-12-2011, 07:10 PM
matowns21
Senior User
Reading is the best source. I have been in body shops for over 5 years its easy once you learn it but it would take 10 pages to try and explain...lol too many variables.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:01 AM
Grubbworm
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by brcrk
We're up 985/365/441 'bout 90 miles north east of Atl in Toccoa at the foot of the Chattahoochee National Forest in the Blue Ridge Mnts.
Big foot country.
We go camping up near Coopers Creek every year, or at least somewhere we can camp next to a good trout stream. Maybe we can get together sometime when we are up that way.