2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6 choices for tires

Old 12-07-2011, 11:09 AM
jreldmyr
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6 choices for tires

I've narrowed my list down to 6 tires.
#1 Falken Wild Peak AT
#2 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac AT
#3 Kelly Safari TSR AT
#4 Kelly Fierce Atitude MT
#5 Hankook Dynapro MT
#6 Nitto Trail Grappler

5 of these tires come in the recommended size (275/65R18) for my 2005 Ford F-150 FX4/5/4L 4x4....and the Nitto Trail Grappler with 285/65R18.

I'm looking for a good Montana tire....I'm moving to the Flathead Lake Area some time within the next year and will be doing a lot of driving on unimproved roads of sharp rock and gravel....they will also need to be good in the Mud, Snow and Ice but also the dry pavement as well on trips to Missoula and Kalispel. If only tires could change from highway to trail with the flick of a switch like going from 2wd to 4wd.

If any of you have had a bad experience with any of the tires I've mentioned I'd sure like to hear about it. Looking at the ratings and the reviews of these tires they all seem to be very highly rated but all have also had a lemon or bad experience with one of them.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:31 AM
Rudeman
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I used the Tirerack Survey as a guide.

I have the Firestones and they are excellent.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:06 PM
jreldmyr
New User
I had Firestone Destination AT on my Ford Ranger....I must have had some bad ones.
I wasn't happy at all with there off road traction or there tread wear. But thanks for the reply!

Old 12-07-2011, 12:22 PM
Rudeman
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jreldmyr
I had Firestone Destination AT on my Ford Ranger....I must have had some bad ones.
I wasn't happy at all with there off road traction or there tread wear. But thanks for the reply!
It's an "all terrain" tire so there will be some limitations. I don't off-raod at all but there are times when I need the traction for unimproved roads and on wet/icy boat ramps in 4WD. They also work well in snow/slush and I can back a loaded boat trailer uphill on turf with them as well. Would I use them for mud? Not by choice. The one other element I really like about them is the quiet highway ride. And from my personal experience they wear well and I am into the gas pretty hearvy most of the time.

Good luck with your search.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:24 PM
Coskid
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have experience with Nitto's but they are the Terra not Trail Grapplers. I love them and have been more then happy with on and off road performance. When I wear these out I will be going back with the Trail Grapplers as I have heard great things about them with their off road performance and the on road performance has been good reviews too.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:45 PM
TheWhiteBeast
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Look into General Grabber AT2's. Perfect Montana tire. I have them on my truck and love them. They have great on road manners and awesome off road capability.

Old 12-07-2011, 03:47 PM
Scratcha
Senior User
I've got BFG AT KOs,

So far so good! Excellent wear ratings!
I've got about 10K on them, I still have the "new tire" nipples all over them.

Old 12-07-2011, 04:22 PM
jreldmyr
New User
I really like BFG AT's....had them on two other trucks before my present one.
I'll have to check up on them as well....whats with the KO?
Nice price....the more I look the more I'm thinking there are a lot of great choices out there and really I can't go wrong with any of the ones I've mentioned or you guys have suggested.

I'm leaning towards the Duratracs but also really like the Wild Peaks and Kelly Safari TSR's. Buying new tires is so cool...all these tires look awesome.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:35 PM
95FordF150
Freshman User
I just put on toyo open country a/t 285/65/18" on my (wife's temporary) 05 f150 stx. Very awesome tire. My 95 f150 when i bought it (and still drive) came with toyo open country a/t and loved those. I currently have cooper's discoverer a/t on for 2yrs and really like them. Originally wanted to get cooper's discoverer a/t3 or Nitto terra grappler for the 05. Les swhab told me nitto is just an off shoot of toyo. I don't know that for sure, but went w/ toyo and very happy. best of luck...

Old 12-08-2011, 12:54 AM
DieselBeast01
Posting Guru
Had Nittos on my diesel and they were by far the best tire I have ever owned. I had the mud grapplers on it once and the trail grapplers twice. They were great tires. You have to pay a little more for Nitto, but there is a reason why they are a little more expensive.

Old 12-08-2011, 05:03 AM
60DRB
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
If you're going to be in areas with a lot of rock, the BFG AT KOs have much better/stronger sidewall protection than most other brands. While I was in central TX driving on a lot of flint and chert I spent the extra $$ for the peace of mind. Also carried two spares when off road. Otherwise, the General AT2 are a very good tire at a much lower price (than the BFG).

Old 12-08-2011, 10:00 AM
jreldmyr
New User
Thanks for the reply's....again, the more I look the more I realize there are a lot of really good choices out there for truck tire buyers.

I'm still leaning towards the Goodyear Duratracs but the Falken Wild Peaks, Kelly Safari TSR's, Nitto Trail Grappler's, General Grabber 2's and BFG AT Ko's will all be considered as well....I'll give it a few more days before I decide. Its going to be a tough choice.

I'd like to confirm each one has 3-ply side walls....I know the Wild Peaks do, I'll have to check on the others. In a perfect world where money is not an issue I'd buy 2 sets.
By the way the current tires I have on my truck now....Goodyear Wrangler AT's....not happy with them in except on the highway...they suck in snow, rain, mud....will not miss them at all.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:23 AM
TheWhiteBeast
Elder User
Old 12-08-2011, 11:43 AM
pcb440
New User
My vote is on the goodyear dura trac. Just put them on my truck and not only do they look awsome but they perform to match. I've only heard good things about them. My only compaint is the road roise which the radio takes care of.

Old 12-08-2011, 12:17 PM
jreldmyr
New User
I'm down to 3 now.....Goodyear Duratrac, Kelly Safari TSR, or Falken Wild Peaks....the general grabber 2's only have two ply side wall....the Nitto trail Grappler is the wrong size but would work and since I've had BFG AT's twice before I'd like to try something new.

Kelly is made by Goodyear and the TSR is very similiar in looks....prices are very close....I like the way all three look. I'd say the the Wild Peaks would be my 3rd choice at the moment but now its time to go look at them in person.

I wish the weight of these tires would be posted so I could compare....I bet a lot of people would like to know weights of tires.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 6 choices for tires