Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Something big, loud and slow in my driveway

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 05:59 PM
starmilt
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have had a set of kingpins freeze up, steering was extremely tight BOTH ways, I really don't see only right being a king pin problem. I would jack up both sides and see what is binding.
Are those holes in the bottom of your kingpins threaded, grease certs come in several sizes.

Old 12-06-2011, 06:04 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If the wheels are straight, and van moving, turning left isn't bad, it's a lil stiff, but fine enough to drive, but the wheel never comes back to center, I have to bring it back.

Now running straight, then turning right, oh boy it's stiff, most of the time, I can't even turn the wheels fully right at all! And once I do that, I hear a weird grinding noise coming from underneath. It's a weird rattle type grinding.

And the hole is over half inch wide..... that sures hell no grease nipple hole lol.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:34 PM
tecgod13
Logistics Pro
Received 119 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by IDIDieselJohn
If the wheels are straight, and van moving, turning left isn't bad, it's a lil stiff, but fine enough to drive, but the wheel never comes back to center, I have to bring it back.

Now running straight, then turning right, oh boy it's stiff, most of the time, I can't even turn the wheels fully right at all! And once I do that, I hear a weird grinding noise coming from underneath. It's a weird rattle type grinding.

And the hole is over half inch wide..... that sures hell no grease nipple hole lol.
I'm thinking that sounds more like an issue with the steering box than the kingpins. Yes bad kingpins will make it hard to turn, but shouldn't it turn the same left and right as the kingpins will be moving in both directions. Whereas the steering box acts differently depending on the direction turning.

I'm not saying you don't need to fix the kingpins, but I think you have another issue as well...

All in all though, if the underside is rust free, and it runs well, you got a good deal on a big *** van.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:42 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by tecgod13
I'm thinking that sounds more like an issue with the steering box than the kingpins. Yes bad kingpins will make it hard to turn, but shouldn't it turn the same left and right as the kingpins will be moving in both directions. Whereas the steering box acts differently depending on the direction turning.

I'm not saying you don't need to fix the kingpins, but I think you have another issue as well...

All in all though, if the underside is rust free, and it runs well, you got a good deal on a big *** van.

I was beginning to think the same, because it's pretty odd how it operates.

I'll jack it up and turn the wheels in the air see how everything looks while turning, then I'll pop out the tie rods and see if I can turn the wheels by hand.

I also noticed getting on or off ramps, when holding the wheel turned, I clearly feel the wheel pulsing, like it looses P/S pressure, gains it again, looses, gains over and over untill I go straight again, or turn a corner. Like the steering wheel pulses.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:43 AM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 121 Likes on 117 Posts
I want one! However, mine would have to be white if it didn't have AC as it gets way too hot here in the summer.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:24 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
I'm so glad it doesn't have A/C....or anything. So much room to work on it from under the hood

Well more the my motorhome anyways....

Old 12-07-2011, 08:45 PM
starmilt
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm telling you that ac is right in the way everytime you turn around, and besides all it does is keep you from sweating.

Back when I was in high school and drove chevells and gTO's, things like that I would ditch the air conditioner at least at the very first engine change, so that later swaps would be quicker, also they were robbing power, then the first couple of pickups I bought were without air BECAUSE I was CHEAP, something I grew out of by the time I was in my early 20's. lol Though some might still tell you I am a cheap something or other. lol

Old 12-07-2011, 08:52 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 121 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by starmilt
and besides all it does is keep you from sweating.
Well, that is the exact reason I want one, I don't happen to like sweating in my truck, or anywhere else for that matter.

Old 12-07-2011, 10:46 PM
Onus
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice van!

John did you know the e series is now officially dead? Ford is replacing them with the transit. Sigh...

Old 12-08-2011, 04:32 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
Yes I know. Makes me like mine even more

But heh, I hated the E-series after 1992, so they've been dead to me for a LONG time.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:38 PM
Onus
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What killed your love for them? Still have that other van, the black one?

Old 12-08-2011, 08:41 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
What killed my love for them after the 92 model? ummm everything?

Ugly as hell exterior, way to ugly plastic modern interior, body lines, everything basicly. They just don't have the real 70's van look anymore. No class and no taste.

And this black one? It's a friend of mines van it's an 88 E150 with a 300 straight 6, C6