General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Well, We Are Losing Her......

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 07:04 AM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Well, We Are Losing Her......

Most of you know that my wife's sister has been with us for almost 30 years. Downs Syndrome reserved her a special place in God's realm from the day she was born over 56 years ago.

For the past while she has suffered from Alzheimer's and Dementia along with the other medical issues that befall Downs kids that survive this long.

Thankfully, Linda had a terrific Thanksgiving weekend. She seemed more aware of family and friends than she had in months. Quite remarkable actually. By Tuesday of last week, however, she took a huge step down both mentally and physically.....Pneumonia can ravage an already failing system very quickly.

In a few short days Linda has gone from cure strategy to comfort strategy. A couple of more days in the hospital and she will return to her bedroom awaiting her final journey home.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:12 AM
Copedawg
Lead Driver

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
You ALL are in my thoughts!

Old 12-05-2011, 07:17 AM
sddesigns
Super Moderator

Received 150 Likes on 122 Posts
Thoughts and prayers to all!

Old 12-05-2011, 07:23 AM
jroehl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Blessings to you for taking care of her for so long. Prayers for you and your family, and may you have joyful memories of your time with her.

Jason

Old 12-05-2011, 08:04 AM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Taking care of your sister-in-law has reserved you a place also I'm sure.

Prayers for all of you.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:28 AM
00BlueOvalRanger
Logistics Pro
Well said, Steve.

Keith, you're a good man.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:38 AM
shovelmike
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
God Bless

Blessings on you both for taking such good care of her. I have a granddaughter (9 yrs. old) with severe Cerebral Palsy and retardation due to oxygen deprivation at birth, she is truly the most extraordinary person I've ever met, always smiling. The doctors tell my son not to expect her to live past 14, but we will savor every day while she's here.

Old 12-05-2011, 11:21 AM
Eatonpcat
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Sorry to hear...You ar a good man for being there for her all these years!

Old 12-05-2011, 12:59 PM
plumber01
Post Fiend
there aren't too many words I can say that will ease any pains. i lost both my grandparents this October, 12 days from each other. their story was they met in the 3rd grade, were married 65 years and 2 of the greatest people you could ever meet. I really don't think there is any way to fully prepare for the loss of a loved one as spectacular as your sister in law or shovelmikes' granddaughter even knowing the inevitable eventually happens to us all. i do now realize that how i carry on their memory and share stories with others makes such a big difference, because here in my heart they shall always live. The fact that you and your family took her in, is just a small testament to how great a stature your character is and is a true measure of a man at his finest hour. My family will pray and also thank God that there are still human beings out there that show that much love to your families as ya'll have done.

Old 12-05-2011, 02:23 PM
LMS Residential
Post Fiend
Keith, take comfort in knowing that by the selfless hospitality and care you and your wonderful family have provided, her journey was and is full of love and quality she might otherwise not have had.
You've spoken so highly of her and experiences shared as a family that her loss will most certainly be evident and deeply felt. Know that all of you went the extra mile and very likely created the vehicle for her to live this long.
God bless you, your family and your sister in law on her journey home.
Be well. Proud to have you as a bud.
Ed

Old 12-05-2011, 02:59 PM
flyer122
Post Fiend
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:25 AM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Keith, I agree with Steve....Selflessly giving up your time, and efforts to make her life easier, and filled with love.....I applaude you.....And for that, I'm sure there's a reward.....And if not, then dammit there should be...

I also give my condolences, in these trying times, and I hope that you can find peace, and comfort in knowing you've done your best!

Best wishes for you, and your family!

Old 12-06-2011, 07:58 AM
stu37d
Government Teat-sucker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Keith, talk about her. Tell us why taking care of her was a blessing, not a burden. I have no first hand experience, but I've heard that taking care of a special needs person is, in many ways, a gift from God. I'm glad you got to spend a good weekend with her at Thanksgiving (aptly named Holiday, huh?) and I'm certain that she's happy knowing how much you and your family loved her.

Old 12-06-2011, 10:05 AM
helifixer
Lead Driver
Received 3,693 Likes on 1,135 Posts
Prayers for you and your family, One of my customers daughter's has downs and she is such a joy. when Abby is around everyone is in a good mood. she brings so much joy into your world.
May God bless you and your Wife for caring for her.

Old 12-06-2011, 01:14 PM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Thankfully, the doctors have convinced my wife to place Linda in a hospice/total health care facility. I think she finally realized we just do not have the skill set to provide 24/7 End Of Life Care. This way the professionals can do what they are trained to do and we can provide the love and comfort. She very likely will not be there long.

For history, my wife (Cathy) is 18 months younger than Linda and has been with her, her entire life. Their mother died while Cathy was in her first year (?) of college. Cathy left school to help her Dad but, in short order, took over Linda's day to day routine....which included a very active sheltered workshop which freed Cathy up for work.

A few years go by who shows up? Yep, 'tis I...Linda and I hit it off pretty quick. Their Dad passed early in our relationship. Timing being what it is, I planned a trip for Cathy and I, to Biloxi where I was going to pop the question. To my dismay, a couple of days before the trip, she was ready to break up. The reason was her fear that our relationship would wind up like others because the other parties couldn't/wouldn't buy into the commitment to Linda. I put a pretty good sales job on her and closed the deal.

I tell you this because it is important to know that heroes come in many shapes and forms. By the time I met Cathy she had dedicated her life to Linda's care and determined that she would never be able to have a sustained relationship with anyone. And that was OK....part of the deal. Boy did I screw that up...LOL.

I packed them up from Bertrand, Missouri and dragged them kicking and screaming all the way back to Dallas, TX. Cathy found a career in H.R. (Now an H.R. Director) and Linda flourished in a local sheltered workshop. Our involvement in Special Olympics took Linda to a whole new level. Cathy took her to, and involved her in, as many activities as possible. Damned near every Saturday for at least 15 years Linda was bowling with her Special Olympics group or at an S.O. tract meet somewhere. Cathy managed to do all of this while raising two daughters...and me. And I certainly did all the "Man" things I wanted to do plus traveled in my work for a good many of these years together.

Our girls did all the things girls do including cheer leading, Competitive Dance, Drill Team, boys , etc...

With that said, Linda's well being was always in our planning. First on the list for that matter. There were many things that we couldn't do but, I don't think the girls ever knew that they might have missed something. Most recently we haven't been able to even go out to eat as a family because finding care for Linda for a couple hours became difficult and we did not want to burden our friends. Though some offered.

For the past few months Linda has been in the argumentative stage of Alzheimer's. Even bathing became a chore. To hear Cathy sing Happy Birthday (To offer a distraction) while being yelled at to "STOP: and "LEAVE ME ALONE" with arms and legs resisting...well, amazing is not descriptive enough.

Cathy is the most courageous, patient, human being that I have ever known (Except for when I **** her off of course ). For this she will always be my Hero. I have not only been blessed to be a part of Linda's life but, to be in the presence of such a hero and witness her acts of compassion daily......well, it just puts you in a different place.

Thank you all for you gracious comments about me but, I am just another lucky guy. It is my wife, Mary Catherine, that is the special person here. This short history really says nothing as to what she has done and sacrificed. She is My Hero and that of my family.

You know, movies are made of people like Linda and Cathy. You know this to be true if your significant other forces you to watch The Lifetime Channel . But, this is the real deal and I get to live it. Yes, we are leaving Linda but, we celebrate her life and what she has given us.

Thanks you again my friends. I will keep you informed.

Quick Reply: Well, We Are Losing Her......