Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Weird trans issue...UPDATE...Opinions Wanted on Additional Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 11:46 AM
robinsonpowerstroke
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Weird trans issue...UPDATE...Opinions Wanted on Additional Upgrades

Ok so my trans guy got my trans out yesterday. It did end up being a broken reverse clutch hub. What the reverse clutch hub does when I'm in drive, I have no idea but whatever. The trans was originally a Jasper rebuild and they did do a couple of upgrades but still think it may be ideal to upgrade a couple of more parts. The planets (580 & 582) are already upgraded to 6 gear steel cages so I do not have to worry about those. I did already do a shift kit so that is taken care of. The intermediate sprag (652) is currently a 34 element but going to upgrade to a 45 element heavy duty sprag. The band (022) is going to get replaced with a carbon fiber band. The shell (622) does have some slop in it where the sun gear (612) rides so it is going to be replaced. I don't know if there is a heavy duty shell but if someone knows of one, please advise. Now the expensive parts, the clutches and steels...The clutches and steels aren't bad but think I going to have them replaced anyhow. I am in a toss up if steels are worth the money and longevity of getting kolene coated ones or not. OPINIONS HERE PLEASE! To the clutches, do I need red clutches or would blue be sufficient for me? OPINIONS HERE TOO PLEASE!
All of the numbers that are in parentheses are in reference to the Ford catalog: Transtar Industries, Inc. - Transmission Parts - Catalogs on page 106 & 107.

Old 12-04-2011, 07:53 PM
robinsonpowerstroke
Posting Guru
So does anybody really know much about clutches cause I would really like some sort of input? Even if you know what BTS or JW puts in their trans.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:40 PM
ChunderDownUnder
Cargo Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cant help ya with the technical side of m8 what I can add is I have dealt with John Woods from all the way over here in AUS. He is a top fella, why dont ya give him a call ??

Old 12-04-2011, 09:41 PM
ChunderDownUnder
Cargo Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cant help ya with the technical side of it m8 but what I can add is I have dealt with John Woods from all the way over here in AUS. He is a top fella, why dont ya give him a call ??

Old 12-04-2011, 09:45 PM
robinsonpowerstroke
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ChunderDownUnder
Cant help ya with the technical side of m8 what I can add is I have dealt with John Woods from all the way over here in AUS. He is a top fella, why dont ya give him a call ??
Well do you think he is really going to tell me what exactly is in it so I can build it myself? I guess it is worth a try.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:13 PM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I used the Alto Red Eagle frictions and the Kolene steels in my trans. IIRC, JW is partial to Borg Warner clutches. I, too, have the 45 element sprag and carbon fiber band. I reused my shell, as it was in good shape. A hardened shell is available. Shell, E4OD / 4R100 Input shell (36622B / A) | Hard parts | Transmission Parts by Bulkpart
I also learned the hard way that clutch packs that offer extra discs is not always a good thing. Ask me how I know. I purchased a kit that offers a a good compromise, in that respect, and gives increased reliablility. If you have any other questions, I'd be glad to help.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:20 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Jasper trans are known to not hold up. As for clutchs JW uses ford clutchs in his tow master transmissions. That surpised me to but mine has held up good so far. Its all the other machining he dose that makes them so strong.
Chet

Old 12-05-2011, 07:11 AM
robinsonpowerstroke
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Bonanza35
Jasper trans are known to not hold up. As for clutchs JW uses ford clutchs in his tow master transmissions. That surpised me to but mine has held up good so far. Its all the other machining he dose that makes them so strong.
Chet
Well that is definitely interesting about JW. I would never have guessed that.

Old 12-05-2011, 11:09 AM
robinsonpowerstroke
Posting Guru
Broken trans part is $35, but upgrading to kolene steels, red frictions throughout, carbon fiber band, hardened shell, and upgraded intermediate sprag for an additional $625. Labor is going to be about $600 so basically upgrading to a built trans for $1225. Could go with a billet TC for another $425 but decided to pass right now.

Old 12-05-2011, 02:49 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

The TC is important if your towing. It puts everything to the road. I wouldn't go cheap there.

Chet

Old 12-05-2011, 02:53 PM
robinsonpowerstroke
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Bonanza35
The TC is important if your towing. It puts everything to the road. I wouldn't go cheap there.

Chet
I do not do a lot of heavy towing and my current TC shows no signs of excessive heat in the past. Yes I know, one can't tell the internals from the outside but I can always upgrade down the road when I feel like it or the current one starts to give way.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:24 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by robinsonpowerstroke
Broken trans part is $35, but upgrading to kolene steels, red frictions throughout, carbon fiber band, hardened shell, and upgraded intermediate sprag for an additional $625. Labor is going to be about $600 so basically upgrading to a built trans for $1225. Could go with a billet TC for another $425 but decided to pass right now.
I have follow this tread and it has alot of great info. But was wondering what TC you were looking at for $425. And who are you using for trans parts ?

Old 12-05-2011, 06:27 PM
indyF-350psd
you can't fix stupid!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BadDogKuzz
I have follow this tread and it has alot of great info. But was wondering what TC you were looking at for $425. And who are you using for trans parts ?
same thing i was thinking....a really good tc costs about 1100......

Old 12-05-2011, 06:55 PM
robinsonpowerstroke
Posting Guru
Well that is the quote transtar gave us but then I was reading some reviews and cheap Chinese TC use junk parts. When I actually upgrade mine, I'm actually going to buy a good one without Chinese parts.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:29 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Know use sending the money if you don't put a TC in thats going to deliver the power. Its the heart of delivery.

Chet

Quick Reply: Weird trans issue...UPDATE...Opinions Wanted on Additional Upgrades