Notices
1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Box Style Ford Trucks
Old 11-03-2014, 08:45 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Cristina
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering and Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

FINALLY!!! I got the Crown Vic front suspension!

Old 12-17-2011, 08:12 PM
twitbeck
Junior User
twitbeck is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by 58cdn100 View Post

If you would like some picks let me know

Rick
A picture is always worth a 1000 words, especially for those of us who aren't working on such a project as yours. Yes, I would like to see some pics.

Old 12-17-2011, 08:36 PM
elgemcdlf
Posting Guru
elgemcdlf is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by fast58 View Post
I would like to see some pictures. I'm starting this swap Monday and I would like to see some more detailed pictures. I'm also curious as to how long did the CV IFS swap take you? And that question goes to anyone that has done this swap. Thanks.
How long it takes all depends on a few factors. How old are you? I was beat when I had my truck stripped ready for install but I took out a Twin I Beam IFS on my back under the truck. I also did mine with the front clip on the truck and the engine in the truck. From driving to driving I see no reason why it should take more than a weekend. If you are working with a bare frame & no engine I would say a day or less.

It is a very easy swap as IFS swaps go.

Old 12-17-2011, 10:52 PM
fast58
Senior User
fast58 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Sounds good. I am 19 and in good physical health so I should be able to pull an Energizer Bunny and just keep going . ASSUMING I know what I'm doing and don't run into any unforeseen problems. (which I probably will)

Old 12-17-2011, 11:28 PM
elgemcdlf
Posting Guru
Just take your time and double check everything prior to making a move. "Measure twice & cut once"

Old 12-17-2011, 11:40 PM
fast58
Senior User
That's the plan. I don't want to rush the process and screw it up. I want people to be surprised and ask "You did that by yourself?!" And what did you think about the CV Frame merge section idea I had?

Old 12-18-2011, 12:34 AM
elgemcdlf
Posting Guru
Sounds like a bunch of work that is not necessary. All you have to do is make a couple spacers for the bottom of the front mounting bolts to bring the crossmember to level when the frame is level. Once you have the old suspension out level the frame. Find the location for the mounting holes and drill them. Now put all 4 bolts in and snug up the rears. Run the fronts up until the crossmember is level. You will see a gap between the crossmember and the frame. That is the thickness of the spacer you want to make. Make it the same size as the pad on the crossmember where the front bolts go through.

Old 12-18-2011, 03:15 PM
fast58
Senior User
What happens if the cross member isn't exactly level? What if i make the frame flat but not exactly level? Will it make it ride or steer badly? This really does seem like an "easy" swap. The hardest part for me will be pulling the motor, figuring out the brakes, and boxing the frame but even that is straight forward. I'm starting this tomorrow at which time I will start a Buildup thread packed with pictures (my fiance is supposed to take pics and upload them for me).

Old 12-18-2011, 03:25 PM
elgemcdlf
Posting Guru
It will affect the angle named caster which controls understeer and oversteer.

Old 12-18-2011, 04:01 PM
fast58
Senior User
Gotcha. Seems like an easy enough fix though, the way you put it. How did you make your trailing arm brackets? Or what is the easiest, strongest way?

Old 12-18-2011, 04:13 PM
elgemcdlf
Posting Guru
Use the mount as a pattern. Make it to match the shape with the holes but leave some extra material on the rear & 3/4" on the front. Bend the 3/4" upward & trim off the tail where it makes contact with the frame. In other words you want the front 3/4" below the rail and the rear attached to the rail where it makes contact with the frame level and the mount level. I then made a triangle that was welded to the plate built above and onto the side of the rail.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:10 PM
fast58
Senior User
Plans have been put on hold for now. I have decided to wait until I have access to a lift before I start the swap. That way a jack stand won't accidentally get kicked out from under the truck and kill me. I didn't think about it until my dad and brother told me their concerns. As soon as I gain access to a shop with a lift you better believe I'll be there ready to swap some suspension!

Old 12-21-2011, 03:20 PM
58cdn100
Freshman User
58cdn100 is starting off with a positive reputation.
CV and IRS

Some pics, hope this works
Rick

Attached Images        
Old 12-23-2011, 11:52 PM
tempforce
Senior User
tempforce is starting off with a positive reputation.
jack stands have been the way mechanics have been doing work that requires the wheels to be off for over 100 years now. not that there's better ways. but jack stands are safe. and i wouldn't worry about using them. personally i use four for the main frame. so the truck is leveled at all corners prior to doing any welding frame work. so that any frame warping from welding will stay level and straight. measure several times b-4 any cutting or welding. use extra jack stands for holding the new parts in place.
if you want to go a bit extra. drill some holes into the concrete floor, install hold down bolts into the floor and use tie downs with turn buckle tighteners. to hold the frame tight to the jack stands.. that way if someone bumps it, it won't be moved while having a break or at work..
post plenty of photo's, we enjoy photo's...
cc

Old 12-26-2011, 08:10 PM
fast58
Senior User
I started the process today of getting ready for the swap. I'm going to start a buildup thread so if you want further information and pictures about the swap, it will be there. It will be labeled something like buildup 03 CV IFS into 58 F100. Feel free to check it out and tell me what I'm doing right or wrong. 58cdn100, Nice pics. It looks clean.

Old 12-26-2011, 09:48 PM
elgemcdlf
Posting Guru
I am impatiently waiting on the thread I love it when younger people keep old vehicles on the road. Sometimes it feels like the hobby will die with all us old men. You are our future!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: FINALLY!!! I got the Crown Vic front suspension!

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.