6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Edge Insight Problem

Old 12-02-2011, 12:34 AM
Special Ed
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edge Insight Problem

Since having my Insight installed now for about 6 months I have always turned the ignition on & waited for the info on the screen to show so I could look at my FICM voltage before cranking her to start. Today she will no longer come on with the ignition on but after I start the engine. I haven't updated it recently, only the day I got it before installing. I don't understand the change. Remember a few other fellas having the same problem a while back. Any suggestions?

Old 12-02-2011, 02:09 AM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Special Ed
Today she will no longer come on with the ignition on but after I start the engine. I haven't updated it recently, only the day I got it before installing. I don't understand the change. Remember a few other fellas having the same problem a while back. Any suggestions?
Poor connection? Maybe it needs to be updated? I don't have an Edge, so I'm not sure what all they need to function "normally".

Old 12-02-2011, 02:11 AM
Special Ed
Elder User
Just finished updating it now. Will post results in the morning after i plug it back up. Thanks for your efforts while not even having one zhilton.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:48 AM
bodabdan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mine recently did this a couple of times when I was having Edge issues. Turns out that my Juice module had water in it causing that and many other issues. I sent it in and Edge warrantied the module for me.
Double check your connections also.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:45 AM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Special Ed
Since having my Insight installed now for about 6 months I have always turned the ignition on & waited for the info on the screen to show so I could look at my FICM voltage before cranking her to start. Today she will no longer come on with the ignition on but after I start the engine. I haven't updated it recently, only the day I got it before installing. I don't understand the change. Remember a few other fellas having the same problem a while back. Any suggestions?
Ed, mine is also inconsistent about turning on with the key. Usually it does, sometimes it doesn't. I've learned that when it doesn't come on by itself, all I need to do is hit the ENTER button (I have the CS) and it will then turn on. For CTS, probably touch anywhere on the screen and it should turn on.

My biggest complaint is how long it takes to boot up, compared to the older Insight. Even if it turns itself on with the key, my WTS light has gone out for a long time before the Insight is displaying data. This is just one of several areas where the old Insight was better designed.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:08 AM
EXbowtieguy
Senior User
Mine does it.... I was wondering so I started watching it and paying attention.

Mine comes on with the key ONLY after the engine is below operating temperature (after a cold soak , and after 10-11 hours while I'm working) if I stop at -insert favorite store here- it comes on KOER. Thought it was a fluke so I logged it and it is consistent ?

Old 12-02-2011, 11:37 AM
Special Ed
Elder User
Connections are solid. Just like u said Bill. After updating still not coming on with the key but if I touch the screen she wakes up. Not really a deal breaker but why the variance. Going to have to really watch it now like Exbow did. Going to give Edge a call too & inquire.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:44 AM
bpounds
Hotshot
I need to call them too, because when I try to reset the min/max logging page, the unit locks up. It has done it since it was new, and I just haven't got around to following up on it. It hasn't been important, but still it ain't right.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:48 AM
Special Ed
Elder User
Just got off the horn with Edge. No waiting & guy was extremely nice. He said what makes the screen come on automatically with the key on is the Edge detecting a voltage drop. That sometimes just the ignition is not enough but if u had your blower motor on from when u shut the truck off that would be enough draw to activate the screen. Or like Bill said just touch the screen. Im going outside right now to verify it.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:49 AM
Special Ed
Elder User
Originally Posted by bpounds
I need to call them too, because when I try to reset the min/max logging page, the unit locks up. It has done it since it was new, and I just haven't got around to following up on it. It hasn't been important, but still it ain't right.
1-888-360-3343 press option 4

Old 12-02-2011, 11:51 AM
bpounds
Hotshot
Someone else reported the voltage drop thing. But my question is, how does that work if you have a gasser. Turn the key on a gasser and the voltage drop is about nil until you hit the starter.

Old 12-02-2011, 12:00 PM
Special Ed
Elder User
I guess he wasn't that nice his answer seems to be inaccurate. I had both heated seats on, blower on high, & vacuum pump singing away- that thing would not turn on for nothing with the ignition. Oh well, I'll keep looking.

Old 12-02-2011, 12:06 PM
EXbowtieguy
Senior User
The cold soak explains it IMO to a certain extent ? Must be a voltage drop over a certain amount of time ? If you start it with everything jammin I wouldn't consider that as much of a drop as a draw ?

To much of a coincidence that the cold soak gets it every time ?

Dunno.....

Old 12-02-2011, 12:09 PM
Special Ed
Elder User
Im going to keep my eyes open & keep searching

Old 12-02-2011, 12:31 PM
EXbowtieguy
Senior User
Ummmm ....... Hmmmmmm Figured I'd call to to see what they said and I think I got the owners son or something ? He tried to explain that the ONLY time the Insight should be on is when the truck is running ??? When I asked about being able to monitor my cranking #'s he said ..... Maybe try updating it or something ?

Not a dig because there customer service is GREAT (previous sensor issue) but I thought it was a bit comical....

I'm sticking with the cold soak theory because its consistent and makes sense to me ,that is until it proves me wrong .... Haha

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Edge Insight Problem