1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Does anyone make a stand alone wiring harness?(update: i'm going to build one)

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 07:52 AM
Elvis40
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone make a stand alone wiring harness?(update: i'm going to build one)

I currently have a great running 7.3 in a completely rotted out 94 SD. I lived its life in a salt factory and is rotted beyond belief. Almost all wiring is corroded and almost no body parts are intact but I know the mechanic and he took decent care of the internals. It stills runs perfect and drives.

I was wondering if I could replace all the bare essential wiring with a stand alone kit. Only the wires that would make it run. I have a manual trans computer to eliminate the E40D codes. I'm interested in running this in an offroad only scenario so no need for lights, power anything, no radio, no heat nothing.

Any ideas? I figured there has to be some interest in this from the truck pulling world.

Old 12-02-2011, 07:57 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know of anyone who makes a kit like that, but I am parting out a '95 F-25 with a PSD and I still have the under hood and engine wiring harnesses out of that truck. PM me if you're interested. I'd be happy to ship it you or I could meet you somewhere along I 23 as I will be going that way right around Christmas to visit the in-laws.

Old 12-03-2011, 06:28 PM
Elvis40
Senior User
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
I don't know of anyone who makes a kit like that, but I am parting out a '95 F-25 with a PSD and I still have the under hood and engine wiring harnesses out of that truck. PM me if you're interested. I'd be happy to ship it you or I could meet you somewhere along I 23 as I will be going that way right around Christmas to visit the in-laws.
Sweet, PM sent

Old 12-06-2011, 09:38 AM
Elvis40
Senior User
Is the under the hood harness (relays, fuses etc.) linked to any of the power options or anything else? Or is that simply to power the engine harness?

Old 12-06-2011, 01:15 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
The under hood power distribution box powers EVERYTHING. It has the fuses and relays in it that feed everything throughout the rest of the truck. Even the interior fuse box gets its power form the UHPDB.

Old 12-06-2011, 05:54 PM
Elvis40
Senior User
The under hood power distribution box powers EVERYTHING. It has the fuses and relays in it that feed everything throughout the rest of the truck. Even the interior fuse box gets its power form the UHPDB.
So if i get that up and running i can pick and choose what i want to use in my swap. That actually may not be a bad way to go. Anybody got a schematic, i can get around but i'm no electrical wizard.

Old 12-06-2011, 06:31 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Here is a link to the Workshop manual for the OBS.
If you look at section 18 there are some really helpful schematics in there that, while a bit difficult to navigate, will help get you started in the right direction. You can always post up here as well if you get stuck on something. There are a few here that are really good with the electrical systems in these trucks (Hussler for one).

Old 12-06-2011, 09:31 PM
1973dieselhighboy
Senior User
go to ford and have them copy the evtm for the engine im sure they will make copies we have made copies for alot of customers out of the evtm it will be the easiest schematic to follow everthing is numbered pins connectors and even the wires codes if i have a scanner i would send you everything that i used to build my custom harness for my 73, getting ready here in the next year to build another harness for my ranger really easy

Old 12-07-2011, 06:39 AM
DZL JIM
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 183 Likes on 83 Posts
If you wanted to do it simply, the motor only needs 3 sensors and the IPR to function, along with the injector harness, IDM and PCM. Wiring can be thinned out a lot and extremely simplified.

'17 6.7 F-250 KR ccsb 4x4
Old 12-07-2011, 10:13 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by DZL JIM
If you wanted to do it simply, the motor only needs 3 sensors and the IPR to function, along with the injector harness, IDM and PCM. Wiring can be thinned out a lot and extremely simplified.
Thanks for the info Jim.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:06 PM
Elvis40
Senior User
Originally Posted by 1973dieselhighboy
go to ford and have them copy the evtm for the engine im sure they will make copies we have made copies for alot of customers out of the evtm it will be the easiest schematic to follow everthing is numbered pins connectors and even the wires codes if i have a scanner i would send you everything that i used to build my custom harness for my 73, getting ready here in the next year to build another harness for my ranger really easy
I would be interested to see how you did it. My original plan was to put one in my 66 F-100. But i have since built that 66 and now have two more 66's waiting for motors and drive-trains.

My thought was to just run enough to get the motor functioning and then use the 60's wiring for lights, signals and things.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:36 PM
1973dieselhighboy
Senior User
i would highly recomend if you are thing of doing this to find a doner vehicle that the powerstroke will bolt right into and put your body on it, the 60s and 70s frame are narrower and have to be notched for the starter and thefactory steering does not work cause the engine hangs over the frame to far, my crew cab i am building i am going to find a newer frame so the frame and steering is not hacked together, and my factory wiring has not been touched, the only thing is you need power and ground to the modules, then i just had to build a harness for the inside (dlc throttle pedal baro), i took the original 12v wire for the coil and used it for my power wire for the modules, really easy to do, it took me about a week to build my entire harness, cause i had to relocate the pcm so i had to add 6 feet to the original harness, mine is complete all sensors, run a self test and it all passes no codes. i did not have to touch the engine harness, just the harness on the inner fender. i also used the factory fuse/relay box to power everything up and that is were i connected the factory 12v source to a relay.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:24 PM
Elvis40
Senior User
Thanks for the reply. That sounds like a good way to go about it. It currently resides in a 450 frame that has the exact same wheelbase as both of the 66 bodies I have. I may just get away with using that frame. I would have to redo all the front suspension to add my SD front axle anyways.

If you don't mind me asking what sensors are needed inside the cab? I was actually hoping to build this new harness before I mess with anything else just to make sure it works.

Old 01-28-2012, 05:20 PM
Elvis40
Senior User
So I found a complete truck that is getting parted out. I have dibs on whatever i want so i need to make a list of what to get. So far I have

IDM
ECM
power distribution box
Under hood wiring harness
Throttle assembly

2 questions
#1 Is it possible to get the harness that has the OBDII and connect it to what i have listed above?

#2 What else should i ask for? I basically want the truck to run without being plugged into the cab

Thanks

Old 01-28-2012, 06:41 PM
bad12jr
Posting Guru
Get the cab wiring harness as well and engine harness.

Quick Reply: Does anyone make a stand alone wiring harness?(update: i'm going to build one)