6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

H&S vs. Spartan Test

Old 12-04-2011, 09:15 PM
sawtooth
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by longview1
Why wouldnt you use the latest updates from Spartan? Kinda like comparing a LS7 vs LS6....

I think for a better comparison and for others benefit on here it would be a wise move. Not really fair for Spartan if you ask me, otherwise a good review and its appreciated. I would like to try H&S to see the diffs myself.

I agree. Maybe i'll load these up in the next day or so and give them a try.

Old 03-10-2012, 07:58 AM
LaredoF350
Postmaster
Originally Posted by sawtooth
I agree. Maybe i'll load these up in the next day or so and give them a try.
Did you ever get the latest Spartan files and compare to the H&S?

Old 03-10-2012, 08:13 AM
sawtooth
Elder User
Yeah there alot closer but I still prefer shifts and throttle mapping with h&s better. Add to the fact you can adjust power on the fly makes it a no brainier for me. However both products are great and if I never tried h&s I would be completely happy with Spartan.

Old 03-10-2012, 08:58 AM
LaredoF350
Postmaster
Originally Posted by sawtooth
Yeah there alot closer but I still prefer shifts and throttle mapping with h&s better. Add to the fact you can adjust power on the fly makes it a no brainier for me. However both products are great and if I never tried h&s I would be completely happy with Spartan.
What are the highest power levels you have run on either tuner?

Old 03-10-2012, 11:24 AM
sawtooth
Elder User
300 on both but also tried lower tunes too.

Old 03-10-2012, 01:20 PM
LaredoF350
Postmaster
I wont use over the 210 or so range as daily driver and use some mid power type for light towing and the lowest power boost level for heavy towing.
I had a 6.0 w/Innovative tunes and did the same with 3 power levels. I know the 6.4 is a stouter build than the 6.0, especially in the head bolt area that was a weak link in some stock 6.0 engines, and even more so on tuned ones.
However, there are more reported head gasket failures on some of the highest powered 6.4's and some transmission failures too. I cant afford those, but with some common sense, moderate power increases, and a DPF delete, I am comfortable with the package. Some may say leave well enough alone, but to each their own...

Old 03-10-2012, 01:27 PM
sawtooth
Elder User
Believe it or not the no power option with h&s feels great. The 80 also runs good. I now run the no power but it still feels way better than factory. I will not run any more high tunes as my truck is not for racing. From what your saying I think you will live h&s

Old 03-10-2012, 06:06 PM
wills250psd
Freshman User
I also run the H@S tuner on the no power mode and dpf/cat delete with the egr disabled and the truck is awsome. I can not speak for the spartan as I have never had one. I can tell you I tow a camper that is 8500lb and got 14.4 mpg hand calculated on 1800 mile trip. I also tow a gooseneck with my tractor on it and it is around 11000 lbs and no problems. engine and tranny is much better than stock. there is a dyno on the web that runs a 6.4 stock and it had 269 RWHP AND with the h@s tuner ON NO POWER and dpf/cat delete and egr disabled it had 390 RWHP. the emmision stuff just kills the engine.

Old 03-10-2012, 07:16 PM
sawtooth
Elder User
Originally Posted by wills250psd
I also run the H@S tuner on the no power mode and dpf/cat delete with the egr disabled and the truck is awsome. I can not speak for the spartan as I have never had one. I can tell you I tow a camper that is 8500lb and got 14.4 mpg hand calculated on 1800 mile trip. I also tow a gooseneck with my tractor on it and it is around 11000 lbs and no problems. engine and tranny is much better than stock. there is a dyno on the web that runs a 6.4 stock and it had 269 RWHP AND with the h@s tuner ON NO POWER and dpf/cat delete and egr disabled it had 390 RWHP. the emmision stuff just kills the engine.
Ok so one thing to warn about as this happen to me originally. When I purchased my H&S I thought I had the standard tunes but I've since found out some distributors are selling the programmes with the Hot Damn tunes already installed. Unfortunately, the customer may not know this as H&S doesn't show you the actual tune power level but they call it no power for lowest tune or mild, hot etc. The problem arises with the hot damn tunes cause no power is actually 80 and mild is something like 160. Anyway i wish H&S would do it by power level to stop any confusion. I would like to know what tunes that guy was really running on the dyno. He needs to go to menu bar and settings to see which tunes he's running. It will either say easy,mild, or hot damn files.

Old 03-10-2012, 08:17 PM
boulderbronco
Tuned
Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the test. Backs up what I'm about to do (getting the Minimaxx soon)
One of my favorite parts about the H&S is the ability to adjust the TPMS. The test results you've seen are just a bonus. Really looking forward to dumping the DPF. Plowing with this thing sucks fuel because it's always wanting to regen.

Old 03-10-2012, 08:21 PM
sawtooth
Elder User
Originally Posted by boulderbronco
Thanks for the test. Backs up what I'm about to do (getting the Minimaxx soon)
One of my favorite parts about the H&S is the ability to adjust the TPMS. The test results you've seen are just a bonus. Really looking forward to dumping the DPF. Plowing with this thing sucks fuel because it's always wanting to regen.
You will be amazed at the difference just be sure which files your running so you know what kind of power your adding to truck. You will enjoy your truck many times more than you do now. Almost hard to explain the diff in feel and drive ability.

Old 03-11-2012, 08:16 PM
caprang
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
great comparison. I have read that most people prefer the display on the Minimaxx better than the Spartan as well. What are your thoughts there?

Old 03-11-2012, 08:58 PM
sawtooth
Elder User
Actually I like the dashdac alot as it provides alot of info. It's bigger but you can see it better too. I like to minimax look a little better but each is great in its own way. However the controller really doesn't matter as much to me as compared to how the truck runs. I now have my truck set to no power and will remove the minimax. Now that's just me and I can fully appreciate the guy that wants to race now an then too. For this person having the shift on the fly and watching parameters is awesome.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:48 PM
2010F350
Senior User
I have a spartan and it seems like H&S I the way to go. I am going to replace my Craptan with a H&S. Is KEM the way to go??

Old 03-13-2012, 01:09 PM
StClairdean
New User
First time poster here. Firstly, what an awesome forum! Such a great knowledge bank!

Sorry, I don't mean to hijack this topic, but I don't think it deserves a new thread. I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong.

I am looking to install a programmer (dpf delete) on my 2009 and am wondering just how big a job this is. I am getting quotes of 3-4 hours labour at $125/hour and I just can't see it. Drop the exhaust (down pipe back), bolt up the new and plug in the programmer. Am I missing something here? One guy quoted me $2500+ (Cdn$)for the Mini Maxx and pipes. Sounds outrageous to me.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: H&S vs. Spartan Test