1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Christmas Time's acomin !

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 01:49 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 726 Likes on 259 Posts
Christmas Time's acomin !

Greetings FTE friends and family…

Ok, one of you has got to know ! Where did it go ??? 2011 ??? I just got used to writing that year on my checks !. Yes, I still use paper checks…so old school. But I wear out my debit card also… us old fools can keep up with technology…a little.

It’s been a crazy year…a good year… but crazy. It seems we are in a permanent campaign cycle. As soon as one ends they start the next one… it seems to make life more tedious. I swear I saw a campaign poster for 2016 the other day. One thing I have learned that I should have realized years ago… there is no end to the promises, accusations, lies,posturing, plotting, spinning, mis-speaking and misdirection that comes from politicians. That man behind the curtain is pulling some levers... we SHOULD pay attention to what he's doing ! I wonder what would happen in Washington DC if they turned off all the television cameras and phone interviews and blogs…cut off all the 24 hr news channels... would they really get some work done or would it just be easier for them to steal from us ?

And, speaking of work, it is in good supply for me..6 days a week for most of the year. Lots of hours lately but that means more pay and that is always a good thing. I’ve tried to find constructive ways to use it and my truck project is inching closer to being something that resembles a assembled vehicle. It’s here if you’re interested jniolon.classicpickup.com. Now, if I could just find a really good Kohler mechanic or a sweet deal on a zero turn mower, I'd be happy.

A couple of concerning health things came up for Peggy and I but they turned out to be false alarms and we’re as healthy as old people can be, right now. Other than joints that complain about working and pains that show up in unusual places routinely… and arms that ache from sanding... it ain’t all bad. There are so many folks I know that are suffering so much more than me, I feel blessed to be vertical and mobile.

Looking back over the past year it’s been pretty good for us. We’ve lost some family and some really special people from our lives and those losses are still painful. I just keep praying for the husbands and wives and kids that don’t have that person this Christmas and it helps. The more I look around in my little universe and see the ones that pass thru it, the more pain and hurt and apprehension I see. People are struggling just to survive and I’m sure all of you have felt it also. It’s like a constant dark cloud. I’ve chosen as my mission to try and brighten up things where I can. I find it’s not very hard to do, especially in small batches. I know I can’t fix all the problems but the ones I can handle …I do try to fix them.

Everyone can use a smile or a ‘have a nice day’ or a wave…. even strangers. I’ve heard the saying (or a variation of it) a thousand times but never knew it was attributed to Plato of all people… “Be kind… for everyone you meet is fighting a battle”. It’s true. It’s something to remember. I read a blog on the subject (of all things) of playing the online game “World of Warcraft”. Its an ‘epic’ game with virtual worlds and villages and battles everywhere. The author related that in the game she had found a ‘flying gryffon’ that could take you from town to town and while flying she looked down over the world. She could see that each of us fights a different battle but we are all in a constant battle in life… we support other’s fight and those around us support ours. That is why Plato’s quote is so important in today’s world. A little kindness can make a battle seem just a bit less overwhelming. It adds to our strength. My goal ? Keep as good an attitude as I can and be kind. Another saying you hear so much … “It couldn’t hurt.” So, that’s my challenge for you… combining the two … Be Kind… it couldn’t hurt. I find it's much much easier to smile and be nice than it is to be rude or hateful... meanness uses up way too much energy. Think about it . It really does.

The Christmas Season, which this year seemed to start some time mid July (I swear they took down the red/white/blue bunting and put up wreaths) is the perfect time of year to start this practice. Everyone seems to be in a little better mood, more festive and friendly. So, if it’s out of character for you to be kind…blame it on Christmas ! It’s a good cover story.

You don’t have to completely change your life and behavior… but take a lesson from the Grinch… let your heart grow a little. Look around you for ways to help people…if nothing else just get out of someone’s way in the mall ! It’s not hard to find simple things that can make someone’s day a little brighter. Our pastor gave a really good sermon this month on that subject… little things make a difference. Pay for someone’s meal behind you in the drive thru at McDonalds, leave a nice tip for a tired waitress (like 100% of the bill !) Offer to put up Christmas lights for someone. Let someone in line before you at the mall… especially in the parking lot ! Volunteer a day in service to others. Be kind. Support them in their battle and it will help you in yours.

Reflecting over my year I see many things to be thankful for…my family, my job and my health... My church and its influence in my life and ALL my friends on FTE . All the help I’ve had from friends both close and connected by the internet. Their connection with me and their input in my life has made it so much better and easier. I hope I’ve done that for them. The friends I’ve made over the years and this year in particular have kept me laughing and informed and motivated to pay attention to important things around me. Thank you all for that… although I have given up Face Book…a little too much for me.

Every year I end my little epistle with a request… (I know, I said I only had one challenge for you… but hey… live with it….!

As I’ve said before….but it bears repeating and I'll keep on saying it till everyone is participating…..

I want each of you to do something for me this year. Enjoy your Christmas season completely… don’t let the least opportunity for fun elude you. Don’t fret over that pile of work or chores or things not completed. It will wait ! Gather together with family and friends and have an excellent time. YOU - MAKE IT AN EXCELLENT TIME.

Do something foolish or funny, act like a kid… remember how ??? Put a Santa hat on your head and Ho-Ho-Ho till they are ready to strangle you… then when they complain, grab them and tell them Merry Christmas (and Ho-Ho-Ho again).

Kiss an ugly cousin and tell them how good they look and how good it is to see them again. Find your least favorite person… you know, the one you avoid at work or at family gatherings ??? Wish them the best Christmas ever and shake their hand. That will mess with ‘em !

This next one is important Hug every child in your family and tell them you love them. Kids today have way too much pressure and unhappiness. Much more than when we were young. They need to hear it. Any positive time spent with children is good for them and for you too. Time with children can keep you young.

Walk up to a total stranger and say Merry Christmas.

Do everything you can possibly do to make this Christmas special…for your family and everyone around you. BE the spirit of Christmas this year . You can never know how much it will mean to the one person who really needed to hear you say those words or needed that hug. You might never see the effect it will have on a person but so many people are hiding pain and hardship we’ll never know about. A smile and a wish for Christmas cheer can change a day or even a life. “Be kind… for everyone you meet is fighting a battle” Hopefully, you’ll be totally exhausted from it. You won’t regret being tired.. it will give you the best Christmas ever. I promise.

When I say my prayers... all of you are included. I pray for your healing if you're hurting, help if you need it... and peace in your lives.

And, my Christmas and New Years wish for all of my friends & family…

I hope that you and your families are in good health and spirits.
I hope that you are close to all of them and share good times often.
I hope that you can't begin to count all your friends.
I hope that you have some really good friends that make your life special.

I hope that you bear no ill feelings toward anyone or have an enemy.
I hope if that isn’t the case and it's your fault that you fix it …. Soon.
I hope that you have a God that you believe in and talk to.
I hope he listens to you and answers your questions and prayers.
I hope that you'll share these Christmas wishes and thoughts with every one you encounter… both friend and foe… loved one and stranger alike.

Be politically incorrect and wish EVERYONE Merry Christmas!! Remember Santa Claus was not in the Bible... remember the reason we celebrate this season.
I hope that you’ll look for an opportunity to make someone’s day a little better.

I hope you'll drop a dollar or two in the Salvation Army Bucket… make that bell ringer feel useful. (and give the bell ringer a McDonalds gift card …a hamburger meal won’t break your bank)
I hope you'll send a Christmas Card with a check in it to the local mission or to Toys for Tots or St. Jude Children's Research hospital...or pick up a gift for an Angel Tree child.
I hope you’ll pray for our service men and women who won’t be home this Christmas... They are the reason we have a peaceful place to celebrate !!!

I hope everyone I know has a wonderful Christmas season.

Be safe in your travels.

Be sincere in your expression of friendship and abundant in your love for those around you… especially the little ones.

Show them the way to celebrate these special days

all the best from The Niolons

Old 12-01-2011, 04:38 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
John
Thank You again this year for your Christmas Season message, Just when I think I'm going to get thru it in my usual manner I get your message and I Get The Message

Thanks Again
And You and your Crew have a Merry Christmas Season
Mr Grinch

Old 12-01-2011, 05:16 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,821 Likes on 1,829 Posts
John,

Like you,I have been wondering where 2011 has gone. I must say though that in the last month or so I've been looking forward to 2012. 2012 has GOT to be better.
I don't want to turn this into a "Woe is me" type of post so I'll try to keep it simple.

2011 started with the loss of my cousins teenage son due to some stupid decisions (booze + drugs = ugly). This was a terrible thing for the family. As the year progressed things didn't improve much. A lot of my aunts and uncles are getting up there in years and we are dealing with all of the health issues that come along with that. My stepdad's health took a dramatic turn for the worse in the spring and he's been on the ragged edge since then, recently being placed in a skilled care facility...ugh.
Our family's 15 year old German Shepard finally got to the point where we had to make "THE" decision. A few weeks later my brother's dog (who I had given him) had to go down the same path. There have been other worries, the kids and their schooling, work, etc
As late summer rolled around and life looked like it was finally going to settle down some, my nephew made an unthinkable, unfortunate, irreversible decision that altered our family forever. Never in my life did I ever imagine having to deal with something like this. It seems as if my whole family and how we fit into life is just slightly off somehow. I think its going to take quite some time until we figure out a way to deal with this "new normal"

To be honest I have been dreading the whole Christmas season, my family is still a little "raw" and I havent been looking forward to having to deal with it all. I know, I know... ...thats a cowardly and selfish way to think.

Your annual Christmas posting is just the kind of thing I needed, a good mental slap as it were. As I said, I've been dreading the season, but you've made me realise that instead of moping about, sucking the life out of and spoiling the holidays for all those I may come in contact with, I need to change my point of view. I WILL change my point of view.

The Christmas season is bigger than me and my troubles.
I WILL find the positive,
I WILL spread the cheer
I WILL enjoy the Christmas season

Thank you John,
and thanks to all of my FTE friends

Bobby

Old 12-01-2011, 05:32 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 726 Likes on 259 Posts
bobby... check your pm

Old 12-01-2011, 06:15 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
I can honestly say this year went by too fast, as well. It has been a better year than recent other ones, though... knock on wood. In effect, we have actually started getting into the Christmas spirit this year. This will be the first Christmas without either of my grandparents, but the long drawn out battle with alz. has finished, and everyone has moved along in peace, reflection, and melancholy.

That said, John, I echo your sentiments, and Merry Christmas.
Bobby, my condolences to you and your family, as this too shall pass.
Dick, and the rest of the FTE gang, I wish a Merry Christmas as well, and hope we all get and share The Message.

Old 12-01-2011, 06:19 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by havi
I can honestly say this year went by too fast, as well.
As they say, "Life is like a roll of toilet paper... the closer you get to the end, the faster it goes".

EDIT: I finally took the time to read your original post, John. This is a wonderful message, and thanks for sharing.

Have a very Merry Christmas!

Old 12-01-2011, 06:35 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
John, havi, thanks

Sorry guys for dragging this down a bit. Lets turn this thread back towards the positive. Afterall, this is about spreading some cheer right?

Merry Christmas!
Bobby

Old 12-02-2011, 08:23 AM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice words of wisdom,John.
Seems some guys need some encouragement. Maybe more.
Good year for us.

Old 12-02-2011, 02:09 PM
1955effie
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
John , you must be a GREAT friend to anyone that knows you. Your messages are upbeat and encouraging . I wish that I could meet you someday . Merry CHRISTMAS and have a safe and healthy New Year.

Old 12-02-2011, 02:47 PM
Lakotas53
Laughing Gas
Great message John! I try everyday to be nice or polite to someone and always have. Its amazing what a simple smile and a hello will do to someone's day. My Christmas wish this year is that everyone finds that little bit of peace they need and it expands to happiness through out the coming year and we all get back on track. God knows its been a bad couple of years for all of us in some form or fashion. To all my FTE friends, Merry Christmas and God bless.

Old 12-02-2011, 03:26 PM
Ravenheart
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Some great and not so much words in this thread. I think the good vs bad degree of a year is much related to our own expectations. Not saying that trying to acomplish the goals that we set for ourselves is a bad thing. What I do think can be bad, is to get so focused on what we plan to specifically acomplish, that we loose track of the other opportunities that come to us.

As Lennon would say "Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans".

Let's keep that spirit that John mentions, and make a learning opportunity out of those rough moments that we all have to go through. I myself have been to the point where you can't see the light at all, but have also learned that if you keep your spirit up, it will eventually blow over.

Merry Christmas to all my long distance friends, and best wishes for you and your people in the coming year.

Old 12-02-2011, 06:18 PM
dennisb56
Laughing Gas
Received 48 Likes on 25 Posts
Very nice message John.
Merry Christmas to all my friends on FTE.

Old 12-02-2011, 06:22 PM
Walston
Cargo Master

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Thanks John and Merry Christmas everyone!

Old 12-02-2011, 10:45 PM
carnut122
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by jniolon

Put a Santa hat on your head and Ho-Ho-Ho till they are ready to strangle you… then when they complain, grab them and tell them Merry Christmas (and Ho-Ho-Ho again).

OK- Merry Christmas!!!

Old 12-03-2011, 08:14 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Carnut

Great pic! What a great color on that truck, perfect for the season.

Good looking family
Bobby

Quick Reply: Christmas Time's acomin !