Notices
2009 - 2014 F150 Discuss the 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Why my next truck might not be a Ford...

Old 11-30-2011, 02:03 PM
akalogan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why my next truck might not be a Ford...

Scary as this sounds to me I have been looking at the new Dodges (still can't say Ram with a straight face yet.) It is hard to argue with the $$$ aspect of things plus Ford does not have factory answer to the power wagon. Which is really what I would want if I went Dodge. I can say at this point in life I refuse to look at Bow-ties. My Step-Dad loves his 2010 cummins. It really is a beast. I don't know folks. Any feed back?

Old 11-30-2011, 02:16 PM
adamsre
Senior User

No such thing as a new dodge they sold out. It is just a ram with very cheap interior and a plastic tranny. Go ahead and get a bailout version hemi and you can get smoked by every 5.0 and EB F150 while getting crappy mileage if you like.

Old 11-30-2011, 02:22 PM
akalogan
Senior User
Originally Posted by adamsre
No such thing as a new dodge they sold out. It is just a ram with very cheap interior and a plastic tranny. Go ahead and get a bailout version hemi and you can get smoked by every 5.0 and EB F150 while getting crappy mileage if you like.
While you can have your opinion, that is your right, however you don't have to be crude about it.

Old 11-30-2011, 02:51 PM
flixden
Posting Guru
What is special about a "power wagon"? What does it add?

Old 11-30-2011, 02:55 PM
akalogan
Senior User
Originally Posted by flixden
What is special about a "power wagon"? What does it add?
It adds a higher ride height and 285/70/17 bfg a/t. a winch locking front and rear diff, plus a sway bar disconnect

Old 11-30-2011, 03:10 PM
flixden
Posting Guru
I can't find any information on their website (ramtrucks.com) about a power wagon. Weird ...

The low payload of the Dodge Rams automatically excluded them from the list of vehicles I considered when ordering my F-150. Same with the Chevy's and Toyota Tundra. That part was easy. :-)

Old 11-30-2011, 03:33 PM
1tuff250
Junior User
A Diehard FORD man would make a Ford work for him.
Dodge would be my next choice if there was no Ford.

Old 11-30-2011, 03:37 PM
akalogan
Senior User
Originally Posted by 1tuff250
A Diehard FORD man would make a Ford work for him.
Dodge would be my next choice if there was no Ford.
Well I guess I am not a die hard. I like Dodge and Ford. I just have to figure out which one works best for me.

Old 11-30-2011, 04:08 PM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by adamsre

Well, the interiors were much improved in 09. Ford bailed itself out by screwing over their employees at many plants (2 here in town) and by selling off assets, so don't even go their on the bailout issue. Chrysler already repaid it (with interest) so it was a win-win situation for the gov, unlike GM which used worthless stock to repay some of their bailout.
The UConnect system is also a lot less troublesome and user friendly than the Sync system.
One should have ones facts straight before bashing something.
The PowerWagon is a nice offroad package that is not available on any other truck. It is made for real offroading, where as the Raptor is more of a baja type truck.
Ford makes a good truck. Dodge also makes a good truck. Since the PowerWagon is a 2500 heavy duty truck, it may get a little less mpg than a F150 with a Hemi, but with a Cummins HO (coming soon)with 400hp and 800lb/ft, it will be just as good and out-pull ANY gasser in a 1/2 ton truck. It's all in what you want a truck to do.
The PowerWagon is a unique truck, and if a guy want's a truck to do what it is capable of doing, why settle for something that doesn't? Can't jump down a guys throat for that.

Old 11-30-2011, 04:20 PM
akalogan
Senior User
Originally Posted by LxMan1
Well, the interiors were much improved in 09. Ford bailed itself out by screwing over their employees at many plants (2 here in town) and by selling off assets, so don't even go their on the bailout issue. Chrysler already repaid it (with interest) so it was a win-win situation for the gov, unlike GM which used worthless stock to repay some of their bailout.
The UConnect system is also a lot less troublesome and user friendly than the Sync system.
One should have ones facts straight before bashing something.
The PowerWagon is a nice offroad package that is not available on any other truck. It is made for real offroading, where as the Raptor is more of a baja type truck.
Ford makes a good truck. Dodge also makes a good truck. Since the PowerWagon is a 2500 heavy duty truck, it may get a little less mpg than a F150 with a Hemi, but with a Cummins HO (coming soon)with 400hp and 800lb/ft, it will be just as good and out-pull ANY gasser in a 1/2 ton truck. It's all in what you want a truck to do.
The PowerWagon is a unique truck, and if a guy want's a truck to do what it is capable of doing, why settle for something that doesn't? Can't jump down a guys throat for that.
Thanks for that. I do understand that fords are great trucks it will just boil down to when I buy, I want to know what all my options are... The power wagon is a great truck. Now if Ford would answer that with their own heavy duty off road set up I would happily look at it also.

Old 11-30-2011, 05:21 PM
640 CI Aluminum FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm a Ford guy threw and threw, and I'll always try and make Ford work for me.

But its your choice. Don't let internet bittnerness get to you. I think that Dodge (Ram) is making an alright truck these days, and I admit those Powerwagon's are currently without compatition, as is the Ford Raptor.

If it come's down to it and you want a Dodge more than you do a Ford than people should respect that.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:05 PM
stephen.osborne1
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts
I, too, am a die hard Ford guy, especially after being bitten in the @$$ by Dodge once and Chitty on several occasions. I must say though, Dodge has really stepped it up in recent years, especially in regards to quality. I have several buddies that had gotten new Dodge trucks and have been mostly happy, other than one who had a really bad experience with his transmissionS (yes, plural- three in total before he gave up and traded up for a Ford...).
Dodge motors have great power and decent torque, though a little too high in the curve for me (on the gassers anyway). The mileage is abysmal at best though. Even the one buddy with the 4.7 gets worse mileage than my 5.4. The Cummins is reliable, other than fuel pumps, which I have had the distinct displeasure of having to replace on a couple occasions in the last couple years. Mileage is pretty good when compared to the older 6.4 Powerstroke, but as I have read and heared, the new 6.7 gets awesome mileage by comparison.
Good luck!

Old 11-30-2011, 06:07 PM
akalogan
Senior User
Originally Posted by 640 CI Aluminum FORD
I'm a Ford guy threw and threw, and I'll always try and make Ford work for me.

But its your choice. Don't let internet bittnerness get to you. I think that Dodge (Ram) is making an alright truck these days, and I admit those Powerwagon's are currently without compatition, as is the Ford Raptor.

If it come's down to it and you want a Dodge more than you do a Ford than people should respect that.
I agree it is, at least at this moment, the truck most suited to my needs. Like I said though if Ford decides to do something similar then I might go Blue again. The only good thing is that I do have 2 years and 6 months to really decide what my needs are. If I didn't need a truck with a decent sized pay load I would look at the raptor instead. But I need a work horse as well and can only afford one truck at a time. As they say,"such is life."

Old 11-30-2011, 06:30 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,217 Likes on 800 Posts
If I didn't have a Ford, I'd have a Tundra. But the PW is sweet *** truck.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:08 PM
m350
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You mentioned the 2010 Ram with the Cummins,,,Here's a story,,,My Bro-in-Law purchased one about a year ago,,2010 Ram 2500 w/Cummins,,,now he is one of these guys that always has to get the Best MPG,,so he drives it Veeeeery Eeeeeeeasy lol,,so far he loves the truck,,,EXCEPT for the "Check Engine" light that always comes on,,,,He has had it back to the Dealer many times, for this, they changed any and all sensors on the Cummins,,,and it is OK for a week or so of his sloooooooooooooooow driving,,,But he says the CE light comes back on all the time !!

It is on so much he is going to Lemon Law the truck !!
I told him after it is warm,,,,put Your Damn Foot into it,,,Clean it out,,to hell with your MPG,,,,He says well there must be other old Guys driving these kinda trucks,,,Just wont listen/learn,,,He should of stayed with a Gas Job !!
The PW do look Good,,,How come No Cummins in them ??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why my next truck might not be a Ford...