Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Power gains? How much power for how much cash?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 11:10 AM
finitetime
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power gains? How much power for how much cash?

I have read all through many old threads about how to get more power out of these engines. To sum it up I found, add turbo, Larger exhaust, remove t in exhaust and put in a y open up air intake to increase flow, turn injector pump up, add moose pump, and type4's torque cam. I would like to know how much power you get from these individually so I can compare that with the cost making the changes. I know you didn't make your mods and run to the nearest dyno but how much hp or torque do you think you got from your mod and how much do you have in it.

What would you do or have done?
How much in material cost? I don't pay myself
How much power do you think you got from it?

93 7,3 n/a e40d

Old 11-30-2011, 05:47 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
and don't forget about the trans.for your E40D try this too:
Racer X

getting the power to the ground at the right rpm and making sure the converter holds together is as important (or more so) than engine upgrades.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:33 PM
finitetime
Senior User
The torque converter came with the transmission that I still have 2 1/2 year warranty on. So as long as it doesn't fall off the truck and force me to pick it up out of the road I'm not doing anything to it other than making sure its full of oil.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:46 PM
starmilt
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It all depends on what you want to end up with, You can spend a couple hundred on decent exhaust. You can do some air mods, basically free. Turn up the pump, again free.

Or you can spend as much as you want, 6 grand, 8 grand, it just depends on what you want, and what you want to do with it.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:52 PM
dakotajeep
Laughing Gas
I would suggest doing a search for the Dyno threads and see what guys are putting out and what they have done...

Thad

Old 12-01-2011, 12:06 AM
finitetime
Senior User
I want to spend as little as possible. I agree air mods are cheap and have already been planning mine. As to the others. I'm not going to spend thousands. Maybe a couple hundred. Some of these guys think of some really good way to make mods without going out and paying a box chain to install something.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:09 AM
finitetime
Senior User
For $250 I can get a cam or a used turbo. Which would you think is better. I'm not looking for speed just more pulling power but you don't get one without the other.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:19 AM
joshofalltrades
Postmaster
if i could get a used turbo KIT that was in decent shape for that price, i'd have it in my hands before i took time to post about it!

Old 12-01-2011, 12:29 AM
Aune163rd
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
x2 on the turbo there bud....turbo is a smarter idea than a cam if your not looking to get expensive.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:33 AM
finitetime
Senior User
Aune Type4 on here has cams he will sell for a little over $200. The cam is cheaper. Like you said turbos are not. I keep seeing in here where someone bought one for 200 or 300 on craigslist or ebay but I have never seen it either or else we wouldn't be talking about it.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:59 AM
starmilt
Post Fiend
Most of the 200 dollar turbo's I have heard of, is just that. It is usually been a stroke turbo or something else not designed for these engines with none of the associated parts.
I'm sure there are some exceptions and some deals out there.

I would like to try one of the type four cams to lower the peak rpm's, I think I would like it for my use.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:17 PM
finitetime
Senior User
Starmilt what do you mean:
I would like to try one of the type four cams to lower the peak rpm's, I think I would like it for my use.[/quote]

What do you do with your truck?

What does lowering the rpm's do? Do you mean it reaches peak torque at a lower rpm?

I pull a small skid steer with mine. It also has a utility bed and loaded with all the tools it weights over 7,000 all by its self. That's why I would like a little more power.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:04 PM
starmilt
Post Fiend
I don't have one, but they are supposed to lower the peak torque about 200 rpm's.
I don't pull or load mine too hard anymore, I use a semi if I need to haul much, so mine is basically a toy now. I will eventually find a deal on a cabover camper one of these days and leave it hooked to a boat. When I do go out on trails I do a lot of idling around, one of the reasons I think the cam would better suit me. I also have a five speed that I intend to put in if the present clutch ever get's bad which will give me double over, so again I think the cam would suit me.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:45 PM
finitetime
Senior User
I actually have a Peterbilt dump truck I use to move it with but the cat 3306 gets 5.5mpg and you can't pile very many tools in the passenger floorboard and seat. Plus the DOT spends less time hassling me about triangles and secure fire extinguisher.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:02 PM
starmilt
Post Fiend
I don't know where you are located, but the dot hassles are coming, they got one of our guys in a 3/4 ton dodge and a trailer for 24 violations,and another one this year for a health card.

Quick Reply: Power gains? How much power for how much cash?